• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1997 Buick Skylark crank signal malfunction

Mantice

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Skylark Custom
P1629 code Theft Deterrent crank signal malfunction is the code that comes up on my 1997 Skylark Buick custom twin cam 2.4 L 4 door sadan. The car starts then the injectors shut off right after it starts and it stalls. Question if I change the crank sensor will that fix it?

Mantice

Buick Ownership
Diagnose the problem. It will prevent you from wasting money and getting frustrated.
I've been trying to diagnose the problem to no avail. If I take the crank sensor out is there a way to test it?

Mantice

Buick Ownership
What I am saying is it is difficult to do so without the Factory Service Manual. If the dealership only gets one hour labor to diagnose it, that engine code, there must be a relatively short trouble tree.
P1629 code Theft Deterrent crank signal malfunction is the code the PCM sends. When reset it sends the same code. I took the crank sensor out, it is the two wire type. I tested the sensor by checking continuity between the two pins on the sensor it shows .7 oms on my meter. Then I connected my AC volt meter and ran a metal rod a cross the magnetic field generating .3 volts of AC voltage on my meter, so the sensor tested good. But I am unsure where to go from here.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure why the crank sensor seems to be the only item looked at, check the code again on the description as it's shutting off the injectors and / or fuel pump to stall the car which is what the security system is supposed to do. Just another view on the code and system.