• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1997 buick skylark theft device problem?

oshkoshbysquash

Buick Newbie
my mother has had this car since it was brand new and never even knew it had a theft device but recently a theft device light started blinking and her car wont start does anyone know how to reset it without going to a dealership any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

bbking48507

Buick Newbie
you can try this:

first, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds.

Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

Insure that the battery is fully charged.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.

If it does not work the first time, try it a second time. If there is a hard fault such as the passlock sensor, this may not even work. I've had luck with this procedure in the past when there was an intermittent problem with the theft system. If it does work, and you get the vehicle to start, there is no guarantee of how long it will take before the car will not start again. Most likely you will have to replace the passkey sensor which is mounted inside the ignition lock cyliner, and/or the ignitions electrical switch. these are two different components that have very high failure rates in GM cars.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Skylark Custom
M
you can try this:

first, disconnect the battery for 30 seconds.

Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

Insure that the battery is fully charged.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.

If it does not work the first time, try it a second time. If there is a hard fault such as the passlock sensor, this may not even work. I've had luck with this procedure in the past when there was an intermittent problem with the theft system. If it does work, and you get the vehicle to start, there is no guarantee of how long it will take before the car will not start again. Most likely you will have to replace the passkey sensor which is mounted inside the ignition lock cyliner, and/or the ignitions electrical switch. these are two different components that have very high failure rates in GM cars.
My 1997 Skylark Buick will start stall immediately and the theft light flashes 7 times then stays on. Won't ever start and stay running.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
did you try a different key?
did you try what is listed in post #2?
Actually the car came with only one key and that is all I have that and a fob. The previous owner used that key the whole time he had it. I changed the fuel pump and even the gas tank because the plastic inside was cracked. New filter too. Still starts then stalls.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
I
Actually the car came with only one key and that is all I have that and a fob. The previous owner used that key the whole time he had it. I changed the fuel pump and even the gas tank because the plastic inside was cracked. New filter too. Still starts then stalls.
I can't try the procedure in number 2 because the theft light only flashes about 7 times then stays on steady. Then I try to start it. Still won't start.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Not sure on the 97 year key, but if it has the exposed chip in the middle of the key using a eraser on both sides of the metal strip may work, again I'm not sure on what yours looks like. Also checking for the GM VATS 1997, not just Buick Skylark, may yield addtional help or options to try.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
Key has no chip, solid metal with rubber grip. Previous owner said car would not start sometimes and then it would. Has never run since I've owned it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It's a gray zone on some GM years, but here's a link that describes your system and unfortunately it says that a scan tool needs to restore it. There may be other ways but at least you will know what you have. The Passlock system was used on the Buick Skylark 96-98.

GM PassKey and PassLock overview — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice

Mantice

Buick Ownership
Thanks, that sounds right. I have a mechanic friend that has a shop. Is that the device you plug in to reset engine light alarms?
It's a gray zone on some GM years, but here's a link that describes your system and unfortunately it says that a scan tool needs to restore it. There may be other ways but at least you will know what you have. The Passlock system was used on the Buick Skylark 96-98.

GM PassKey and PassLock overview — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I'm not sure what type it is, locksmith or GM type, as none of my vehicles have never had need.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
My key does not have a chip, I even took the rubber grip off of it. Just a metal key how could the car know if it is the right key or not? I find all kinds of theft system bypass gadgets but can't find one that fits the 1997 Buick Skylark custom

Mantice

Buick Ownership
Thanks, that sounds right. I have a mechanic friend that has a shop. Is that the device you plug in to reset engine light alarms?
The mechanic I mentioned took off to Alaska for a week so he isn't going to be able to help me.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Sorry but that's out of my scope of knowledge on this system, would assume any changes may still require a programming tool as a guess. Maybe some other forum members can chime in.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
Your key should look like this,

98Passlockkey.jpg

That black rectangle with the silver line is the chip. 97 cars should be the same.

A scan tool will not program the key. Maybe a Tech2 scan tool, but those are thousands of dollars and much more capable than the commonly available scan tools to check for codes.

What happens with the pass key system is there are 2 very thin wires that run from the ignition switch inside the column. They sense the chip in the key. Those wires can break leading to the no crank/security light problem.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Here's the relearn:
Passlock – coded lock cylinder
The Passlock anti-theft system requires the presence of a key in the lock cylinder to enable
starting. The lock cylinder contains a stationary Hall effect sensor and a rotating magnet. When
the key is turned in the lock cylinder, the magnet creates a signal on the Hall effect sensor.
The cylinder then sends a coded signal to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) or body control
module BCM. If the IPC/BCM receives the expected coded signal, the IPC/BCM will send a
message over serial data to inform the PCM that the vehicle may be started.
To perform a relearn on a Passlock system, make sure there is a fully charged battery in the
vehicle. The battery will be used for 30 minutes without the alternator available for charging.
Connect a battery charger to the battery to ensure power is available while programming.
Both the IPC/BCM and PCM must be working and communicating with each other.
1. Turn ignition on.
2. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
3. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light
will turn off.
4. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
5. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
6. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light
will turn off.
7. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
9. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light
will turn off.
10. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
11. Vehicle has now learned the new password. Start the engine.
12. With a scan tool, clear any trouble codes.
NOTE: For most cars, one 10-minute cycle will be enough for the vehicle to learn the new
password. Perform all 3 cycles if the car will not start after 1 cycle. Most trucks will require all
3 cycles for learning the password.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
Your key should look like this,

View attachment 17012

That black rectangle with the silver line is the chip. 97 cars should be the same.

A scan tool will not program the key. Maybe a Tech2 scan tool, but those are thousands of dollars and much more capable than the commonly available scan tools to check for codes.

What happens with the pass key system is there are 2 very thin wires that run from the ignition switch inside the column. They sense the chip in the key. Those wires can break leading to the no crank/security light problem.
My key looks like this I removed the grip to show no chip on key.

Attachments