• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1997 buick skylark theft device problem?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It's a Passlock not Passkey and had a limited run on vehicles that used it, see the previous links on details.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Skylark Custom
Not that it matters now, but if I ever get this thing running My fob doesn't work. A site on programming it says on the driver's side in the trunk there is a wire with a plug that you put a jumper wire on to program the fob. I tore that trunk apart trying to find it. There's nothing there.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Unfortunately yours is a orphan in the Buick world as it was only on the Buick
Skylark 96-98, so anything that isn't on that years Skylark more than likely won't be useful. It was used on other GM including trucks so it might be worth it to look at the link I provided and check another forum with a higher volume vehicle. They might know if the ignition switch and key can be done and is plug and play.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Mantice has a unique system as it didn't make sense to me either at first, then I found the same info post# 10 and that it was only on Mantice's Buick for 2 years, which doesn't help Mantice but hopefully the GM truck guys have some answers. A true PITA from GM to make a short run on a single Buick model, learned something new.

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
According to my link, it also covered these cars,
Passlock
This system allows starter operation, then kills the injectors 1-2 seconds after startup. This is a “Hall-Effect” system. The key cylinder housing has a small magnet that rotates past the Passlock sensor. The sensor is powered and detects the rotation. The voltage on the sensor then drops to a specified value (there are 10 different values). There’s no pellet in the key. So basically this system is checking to see that a thief has not popped the lock cylinder to steal the vehicle. you have to perform a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearn procedure (need a programming scan tool). The Passlock system was used on:
Buick
Skylark 96-98
Chevrolet
Cavalier 95-on
Impala 2000-on
Malibu 97-on
Monte Carlo 2000-on
Oldsmobile
Achieva 96-on
Cutlass 97-on
Intrigue 98-on
All GM trucks 98-0n

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Yes it's the same link as mine and yes there are other cars, but the GM trucks was just a hire percentage suggestion then the Old's Achieva LOL, never said it was the only one.

Mantice

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Skylark Custom
My mechanic friend used his OBD2 analyzer and kept getting a P1629 code. Theft Deterrent crank signal malfunction is the code that comes up on my 1997 Skylark Buick custom twin cam 2.4 L 4 door sadan. The car starts then the injectors shut off right after it starts and it stalls. He said that the PCM sees the signal from the crank sensor but it keeps throwing out that code should I change the sensor?

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
This is where the FSM shows it's worth. In the FSM for your car, I am sure there is a diagnostic table to narrow down the cause so you don't replace parts unnecessarily and waste money.

P1629 Chevrolet - Theft Deterrent Start Enable Signal Not Received

The link says it takes 1 hour labor to diagnose. That tells me there are simple tests to narrow the cause.

1997 PONT GRAN AM-OLDS ACHIEVA-BUICK SKYLARK ORIGINAL BOOK 1 of 2 SERVICE MANUAL | eBay

1997 Grand AM Achieva Skylark Service Manual V2 | eBay