1997 LeSabre Whining/Whirring Noise

Buikckforever

Buick Ownership
LeSabre 2001
Hello! I have a 1997 Buick LeSabre at Home, I really love these Cars. However, I noticed a whining or whirring sound coming from the Engine That reminds me of a Car That is driving in Reverse. the Pitch of the Sound gets higher once the rpm increase, it Starts a few seconds After the First cold start of the car. The Check Engine Light goes off immediately once the Car is fired up. There is a Link below where you can Listen to the car…
has Anybody of you experienced a similar Noise? Could it be something serious? Timing Chain or a belt or something?
i would be Grateful for any advice. Thanks!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Can't tell from the drivers seat either. The hood needs to be open and listen for the area that the sound is coming from! Check all the fluids as a first step, no maintenance history or mileage is given, so something may be low or at the end of life. As it's a first start issue have a helper start the car while you listen.

Best guess power steering, alternator, idler pulley, serpentine belt, water pump, transmission but difficult to know over a forum from a video in the drivers seat.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

imidazol97

Top Dog
Take off the serpentine belt with a cold engine. I think you can't remove it completely, but
lay it so it's not touching the crankshaft pulley to catch on it. That means none of the
other rotating devices will be turning their bearings: AC, Power steering, water pump, alternator,
AND THE IDLER PULLER. You can run the engine for 15 seconds or so

My guess is your sound will be gone. Then shut off engine and rotate each of the devices.
Start with the idler puller. I think that's where you'll find the problem. You can replace the pulley
and its bearing without replacing the whole unit. The bolt is a reverse thread IIRC because the pulley
rotates in the direction that would help loosen the bolt normally.

Hope that's it. It's a cheap fix and easily repairable by DIY.

Good luck.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Hello! I have a 1997 Buick LeSabre at Home, I really love these Cars. However, I noticed a whining or whirring sound coming from the Engine That reminds me of a Car That is driving in Reverse. the Pitch of the Sound gets higher once the rpm increase, it Starts a few seconds After the First cold start of the car. The Check Engine Light goes off immediately once the Car is fired up. There is a Link below where you can Listen to the car…
has Anybody of you experienced a similar Noise? Could it be something serious? Timing Chain or a belt or something?
i would be Grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Are you referring to the high pitched sound that occurs at the 30 second mark until when you shut it off? If so that sounds like a vacuum leak. Does your HVAC work properly?

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Has the PCV valve ever been replaced? The video shows it to be a 1987, or is it a 1997 as first mentioned?

Buikckforever

Buick Ownership
LeSabre 2001
Has the PCV valve ever been replaced? The video shows it to be a 1987, or is it a 1997 as first mentioned?
Im sorry, it is a 1997 LeSabre, i got the Title of the Video wrong. Sinne I just got. my LeSabre, I have Not replaced anything yet. It also got 147k Miles on it

Buikckforever

Buick Ownership
LeSabre 2001
Are you referring to the high pitched sound that occurs at the 30 second mark until when you shut it off? If so that sounds like a vacuum leak. Does your HVAC work properly?
Yes thats the Sound I´m referring to. Ok there might be a vacuum leak… Would this explain That the Sound is More present when the vehicle is in PARK or NEUTRAL and when accelerating?

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
The engine should be pulling 19-21 in-hg at idle and if you accelerate, the vacuum will drop. So therefore, under acceleration, if you have a vacuum leak, the leak noise will dissipate.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
I say try the belt trick first, I think it could easily be a worn pulley and an OEM belt that is accentuating the noise even further. But it could also be vacuum, it was hard to hear but I picked up both what could sound like those different things.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners