1998 Buick Riviera Driver side outside door latch BO

Rebob1939

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Hello, In this cold weather I broke driver side outer door latch. It looks like a big job to disasemble door panel and repair latch Who has made this repair on the Riviera? I have done a couple toyotas and a Yukon but not a buick. Lots of gadgets on driver door. Hoping for a response but will tackle it this weekend Thanks Rebob1939

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Haven't done your year Riviera but here's a couple of diagrams that might help. If it's similar to other GM I have done it's basically getting the bolts out the handle, slipping the rods carefully and put everything back in reverse, not sure if any other steps are required or the lock.
9608294G10-013.png 9708274G14-006.png

LARRY70GS

Oakland Gardens, N.Y.
Buick Ownership
98 Riviera, 70 GS455 Stg1
It's not that big a deal. You'll need to paint the replacement door handle unless you can find one in your color on Ebay.

The door panel is easy to remove, Remove the plastic cap in the interior door handle well, and remove the screw, then the plastic surround. The door pull has two rubber caps, pry them out. Underneath the caps are torx headed bolts. I forget the size, maybe T27 or 37. Remove both bolts. Then there are 2 screws on the front and rear of the door panel. Remove them, and lift the door panel straight up, and the panel will release. There are 2 plastic hooks on the top of the door panel, and 3 or 4 on the bottom that fit into the metal door frame. Be careful with the top 2, they can break off.

Once the door panel is loose, you can rest it on the floor, or remove the electrical plugs and separate it completely, your choice.

The exterior door handle is held to the door by 2 10mm bolts. Make sure the window is all the way up. I used a ratcheting box wrench to get those bolts off. The hardest part for me was removing the lock cylinder from the door handle. There is a metal clip that needs to be removed, and then the lock cylinder pushes out. Mine was tight and a pain to get out.

Here is what the door handle looks like from the back side,

You can see the bolt holes, and the metal lock cylinder retainer clip. I removed the door handle for an unrelated problem when I shot this video.

Last edited:

Rebob1939

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Haven't done your year Riviera but here's a couple of diagrams that might help. If it's similar to other GM I have done it's basically getting the bolts out the handle, slipping the rods carefully and put everything back in reverse, not sure if any other steps are required or the lock.
View attachment 28404 View attachment 28405
View attachment 28404 View attachment 28405

Rebob1939

Buick Ownership
Riviera
It's not that big a deal. You'll need to paint the replacement door handle unless you can find one in your color on Ebay.

The door panel is easy to remove, Remove the plastic cap in the interior door handle well, and remove the screw, then the plastic surround. The door pull has two rubber caps, pry them out. Underneath the caps are torx headed bolts. I forget the size, maybe T27 or 37. Remove both bolts. Then there are 2 screws on the front and rear of the door panel. Remove them, and lift the door panel straight up, and the panel will release. There are 2 plastic hooks on the top of the door panel, and 3 or 4 on the bottom that fit into the metal door frame. Be careful with the top 2, they can break off.

Once the door panel is loose, you can rest it on the floor, or remove the electrical plugs and separate it completely, your choice.

The exterior door handle is held to the door by 2 10mm bolts. Make sure the window is all the way up. I used a ratcheting box wrench to get those bolts off. The hardest part for me was removing the lock cylinder from the door handle. There is a metal clip that needs to be removed, and then the lock cylinder pushes out. Mine was tight and a pain to get out.

You can see the bolt holes, and the metal lock cylinder retainer clip. I removed the door handle for an unrelated problem when I shot this video.
Hello, In this cold weather I broke driver side outer door latch. It looks like a big job to disasemble door panel and repair latch Who has made this repair on the Riviera? I have done a couple toyotas and a Yukon but not a buick. Lots of gadgets on driver door. Hoping for a response but will tackle it this weekend Thanks Rebob1939

Rebob1939

Buick Ownership
Riviera

Rebob1939

Buick Ownership
Riviera
Thanks again, I purchased one on Ebay, Good price. I swapped some innards and kept old ignition lock and my white housing. Using black handle pull or what ever terminology. Rebob1939

Get your turbo buick badge right here!