1998 Lesabre dome light out

GBertolet

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The dome light is out on my Lesabre. I tested both bulbs with a meter, and they are good. I tested every fuse in the block under the driver's side dash. All test good. There is no specific fuse listed for the dome light. There are several listings for courtesy lights, so I don't know specificly which is for what. Anyhow they all test good. I see no voltage at the bulb sockets. I know there are two other locations for fuses, but all documentation I can find, say they do not involve the dome light. I did try the slide swith on the dash, moving it over to INT. Still no lights. Where can I go from here to diagnose and repair this issue?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
When you switched on the Int switch did any of the other interior lights come on and do they come on when the doors are open.

On the fuse box there appears that there is 3 fuses that may be interior, not clear on the description, but if they are passing power it may possibly be in the harness, it's a guess. The other fuse box should be passenger side right hand side of the foot panel, but I believe you are correct that none are for the lights going off my 95.

This may be something that could help, 1997 but should be close.

GBertolet

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I narrowed it down to 8B on the fuse block. No power on either side of the fuse. Where to next? The BCM? I hear that can get dicey, as a replacement has to be programed by a dealership, at least so I have read. And I think the airbags have to be deactivated to touch this device.

The under hood light has no power either. I hasn't worked for a while now. Just remembered it was out also.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The battery has to be disconnected both positive and negative, make sure that the car fully drains and the BCM can be swapped, no issues with airbags. On the BCM there's vendors that will program them with the VIN and it's pretty much plug and play.

imidazol97

Top Dog
Turn the parking lights ON and recheck for voltage on fuse 8B, 10 amp.

That provides power to the ashtray light AND the underhood light.

Power to the MALL comes through
9C in the IP block
1D
6A

###########
I narrowed it down to 8B on the fuse block. No power on either side of the fuse. Where to next? The BCM? I hear that can get dicey, as a replacement has to be programed by a dealership, at least so I have read. And I think the airbags have to be deactivated to touch this device.

The under hood light has no power either. I hasn't worked for a while now. Just remembered it was out also.

Last edited:

GBertolet

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This is really getting weird. With the parking lights on, I have power to 8B fuse, and the underhood light, now works. The underhood light has a mercury switch, and should have power all the time. I can't see having to have your lights on, when you lift the hood to make that light work. Any how I still don't have dome and interior courtesy lighting. Still struggling. The answer lies somewhere.

I do have power on the 9C, 1D and 6A fuses with ignition on.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
My 95 under hood light, can't remember as I didn't pay attention and it was years ago, but either the headlights or ignition on running, it doesn't come on when the hood is open.

Did you check the wiring schematics?

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
When I owned my 98 Bonneville I had a similar issue with my interior lights. Trying disconnecting both battery cables and touch them together, reconnect in approximately 60 minutes.

GBertolet

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I got a schematic now, amd am studying it. Trouble is locating where all these switches are. My Ford truck has the hood light come on, whenever the hood is opened. I am suprised that the Buicks need to have the headlights or parking lights on to have the hood light work. I got frustrated years ago, over trying to make the hood light work, and just left it disconnected, not knowing the lights had to be on to make it function. Now it works!

Homer Jay, I will try removing the battery cables tomorrow, and see what transpires.

GBertolet

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Removing the battery cables and shorting them makes no difference. Back to the drawing board.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You may want to check for this
97_buick_lesabre_bcm1_big.jpg
If this is the case then you could be chasing a phantom source.

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
Is this a new issue, did the interior lights ever work? If yes, was any work done and/or another issue that may have caused an unintended problem?

GBertolet

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The interior lights worked until recently, and no work was done.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!