1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Thanks, Mad_Coachman. Agreed! I've watched a few of these videos, as well as tear-down/rebuild vids. Pretty fascinating. My transmission seems to be behaving lately, which makes me wonder if it might be solenoid(s) on the valve body. Still an expensive fix.
TransGo kit plus two gallons of tranny fluid was about a hundred bucks. :D
The satisfaction of solving the problem myself sure beats an expensive rebuild.
Your call.;)

Buick Ownership
1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Yes. I first felt it when in stop-and-go traffic. But it's been a few weeks and I've not had a repeat.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Trans go kit will be my first option. A couple of trusted shops discouraged a rebuild as not worth it.
Depends on the overall condition of your car. You have to be realistic, for example you don't put a rebuilt tranny in a rusted out POS that's only worth the price of scrap. :oops:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
If you want to trade transmissions mine still shifts nice and crisp into the 4 forward gears just no takebacks and no promises on park neutral or reverse.
I’d happily do a shift kit instead of full rebuild nothing since mine is okay

Buick Ownership
Ha! I'll think about the offer. Car only has 80k miles but does need some TLC. Elderly owned but somewhat neglected, I think.

Buick Ownership
So after reading some of the advice posted on other threads (looking at you BuickGirlFromMars), I'm hoping some modest steps might get more miles out of the transmission. Things like
- adding a transmission cooler
- Transgo shift kit
- new magnet(s) on the pan

Anything else I should try? I hope that'll buy some time on a car that's got just 80k miles—but whose value may not justify a rebuild (That said, I really like this car)

IMG_0840.jpg

tb.dxb

Sustaining Member
Dubai/U.A.E.
Buick Ownership
1996 Park Avenue, Base (a.k.a. "Old Mistress")
I hope that'll buy some time on a car that's got just 80k miles—but whose value may not justify a rebuild (That said, I really like this car)
I know where you are in the process, I already spent more money on my car than it may be worth at the time. On the other hand, I like things that are a bit different. Pure rationale would demand me driving a Yaris (urk!).

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Epilogue: Turns out replacing the bad front motor/transmission mount fixed about 85-90% of the shift problems I'd been experiencing. Seems to be shifting fine (for now).
i thought you had a 99, whoops. I cant steal your trans after all(2003+ trans are too different from 97-02 trans), but there are things your ride needs based on the previous photo

1) more chrome
2) more chrome but for wheel wells, B pillar stick ons, rear window trim stick ons, etc
3) 05 ultra tail light
4) Wheels with larger spoke openings, you can see i have aftermarket wheels(on the cheap end, 16) but if you wanted a 17 inch idea, this is something that always strikes my eye and is definitely what I would get if i went to 17 inch tire
1629059183247.png
because of the same era, you could use proper buick center caps on them even instead of the ugly improper cadillac logo lo. But thats just an idea :)

here is a pic of my car for the chrome+taillight idea
Copy of IMG_0817.JPG

Chrome on black makes a sexy car, and the less red visible from the light assemblies(clear being the replacement) is even sexier

You would otherwise benefit from a tail lamp assembly ALSO from a park avenue of any year of a different "shade" or design look. The red is less distinciive or pronounced in different ways depending on the application. You would be best to surf the ebay for what i meant, but a red that looks like the bottom of my tail light would be nicer on yours I think

oh and glad you fixed the trans behavior. disconnecting your battery for over 30 min or having the TAP deleted and driving nicely for a while would be the best way to make the trans behavior match expectations now. The adaptive pressures would learn a nice, firmly mounted, transmissions shifts with proper pedal discipline and would be the smoothest, yet not feel sluggish

Buick Ownership
Thanks. Agree with you on the chrome. I don't think this generation BPA has the right level of chrome accents to make it distinctive. And I'll disconnect the battery to encourage a behavior reset. Thanks for the tip(s)!

Buick Ownership
I'll send a pic. I have installed over a dozen of these in 7 different Park Avenues. I just cut the shaft with a grinder and disassemble the end with threaded nut. Attached pic shows 3 new motors 1 original. I see the are on sale for under $10. I just bought 5 motors a month ago installed 2 in my drivers seat. Passenger yet to go. Hope this helps. Bill View attachment 27890
BuickBill, I' confused and must be missing something. I noticed that these replacement motors have one electrical connection. The original motors with the bad gears have two electrical plugs. Any idea what the extra electrical connection is for and how it affects seat operation?
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
BuickBill, I' confused and must be missing something. I noticed that these replacement motors have one electrical connection. The original motors with the bad gears have two electrical plugs. Any idea what the extra electrical connection is for and how it affects seat operation?
View attachment 34574
my guess? Memory.. perhaps. what motor is that controlling, and is it on your 04? Does the seat work with the controls on the side when hooked into the car?

Buick Ownership
The motor is controlling either the front or rear seat bottom tilt function. This particular photo is not from my '04, but a pick-n-pull donor I pulled apart before attempting to fix my driver seat. It's the identical motor set up as mine.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
The motor is controlling either the front or rear seat bottom tilt function. This particular photo is not from my '04, but a pick-n-pull donor I pulled apart before attempting to fix my driver seat. It's the identical motor set up as mine.
Does your and that car have memory?I am guessing off the hip here, but memory seat module probably or possibly had its own connections to the driver seat motors than the driver seat module since the driver seat module, which handles that all Im pretty sure, is on non-memory and memory cars while memory seat module is only on the memory cars. thats my guess. drivers seats changed a LOT over the years of PA.

wathompson

Ramseur, NC
Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
View attachment 34574
In the 1999 C-Platform service manual 8-1160 under "Seat Adjuster Motor Replacement - Front Horizontal" #7 states "Remove the wiring harness to the position sensors (if equipped with memory seats). Like BuickGirlFromMars said, it's for the memory. I suspect that this is some type of position feedback potentiometer that allows the Seat Memory Module reference saved position.

Buick Ownership
This helps. Thanks for the replies.

Plan B: Harvest pick-n-pull donor motors, repair inner gear as needed, swap out motors.
....Unless position sensors can be fitted to a new motor?

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
This helps. Thanks for the replies.

Plan B: Harvest pick-n-pull donor motors, repair inner gear as needed, swap out motors.
....Unless position sensors can be fitted to a new motor?
if there is no place to plug, i wouldnt think so. but then again, i cant see them making exclusive things either... possibly?

BuickBill2003

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
PA 03 Ultra Gray, PA 05 SE Base Gray, PA 03 Base Burgundy, PA 03 Base Copper
Yes extra wiring is for memory on the motor function. I have just eliminated it. I just replaced a original motor on driver bottom rear motor in my 03 with 155,000 miles. Left hand thread on the end of screw of motor if you can get to it. I just cut shaft install new motor. I also swap wires so up is up and down is down when working your adj. switch. Good luck

Attachments

• 20211128_124953.jpg
    20211128_124953.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 9
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

bigblockelectra

Buick Ownership
1998 Park Avenue
So to keep the seat memory, you would just need to use the brass gear repair? Or take the gears out of these replacement motors? Or are the gears different? Has anyone confirmed that the brass gear fix from ebay will work with the tilt function as well? The tilt doesn't work on either of my seats.