• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

1st Encore...mistake?

Mrtim4u

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Hello, just got this 2014 power everything for the lady with 75kish miles, of course the1.4T if that little snail qualifies as a turbo ;) not here to bash, it’s actually a nimble little gal.
So here is the issue....
No warranty except maybe grease-able..eh never had one anyway
First she noticed the screen and radio totally goes off/black, found this forum and seen its a known issue but $$$...
Second at random times she will turn the key and nothing happens, no lights no crank just a click that almost sounds like a relay click under the hood. Tried both keys and same result..so I hooked up the scanner and got a PO513 code..quick search says generic “Incorrect Immobilizer Key” think its litterally both keys acting up? Or the ignition..I gave the cables a quick over everything seems so new and tight (pretty sure an older couple garage kept)
If ya managed to read this far toss me what ya think or any ideas...even any encore hacks!60865BD1-2FC2-448E-9C7A-B3FCC2203B2B.jpeg681CE86F-8BA9-4F1D-9434-64ED8ED02685.jpeg

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
Modern vehicles need good batteries. Too low of voltage and things start behaving weirdly. Had it happen on my Sierra a few years ago.

Being a 2014 that may be the original battery. Batteries are good for 5-6 years at best but can fail at 2 years old. After shutting it off, leave sit for at least 10 minutes. Put a volt meter directly on the battery posts. It should read at least 12.7 volts. Anything less and the battery needs to be replaced.

Mrtim4u

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Modern vehicles need good batteries. Too low of voltage and things start behaving weirdly. Had it happen on my Sierra a few years ago.

Being a 2014 that may be the original battery. Batteries are good for 5-6 years at best but can fail at 2 years old. After shutting it off, leave sit for at least 10 minutes. Put a volt meter directly on the battery posts. It should read at least 12.7 volts. Anything less and the battery needs to be replaced.
Nice Doc that thought breafly ran across my mind but I dismissed it because i left the park lights on the other day for like 45 min and it started with no problem. they may have shut off auto idk for sure but a volt meter wont lie. I will try this today and post my results!

David Lopez Vargas

Garfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Essence AWD w/ 153hp
Also because you bought the car. I would recommend get an Optima Battery. It is a bit expensive but you'll never have a problem. They're gel filled instead of acid filled so it'll definitely last longer.

As for the keys they may of deprogrammed. I've seen it happen on a few different cars.

Mrtim4u

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Well the battery isn’t a year old yet but I noticed the ground off the battery is super hot! No sign of corrosion everything looks brand new going to take it off in a second and clean it and check for breaks. Doesn’t seem to be a key issue and nothing else by battery was hot.
Also battery reading 12.7

Last edited:

Mrtim4u

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
Ok so i took the battery out traced the ground under the tray where it bolts to the frame piece. All free of corrosion and tight, so i said eh might as well take it loose and be sure so i took the battery cable and the cable from frame to rest of car off..I noticed this one however was really tight. Here its shaped like a star! Upon inspection the battery cable center star is worn and loose, but remember the nut was still tight!? Wellllll the back side of bolt to frame is painted so it wasn’t likely making contact through the back just around where the center is....so i took a wire brush to it all sprayed with electrical cleaner (all connections and battery) put her back together and so far it has started repeatedly and no hot cable...maybe i got it? Only time will tell

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Faulty/Intermittent ground problems can be a bear to find and can cause all kinds of weird problems.
Good Work!! Hope that solves the problem.

Joester

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
For what it's worth, determining a ground fault is pretty easy. Turn the headlights on and meter the voltage from the negative post of the battery to the cable clamp, then to the frame, then to the engine block. Should be 0 volts. Any voltage present means a compromised connection.

No Tyme

Buick Ownership
buzzard1954
Ok so i took the battery out traced the ground under the tray where it bolts to the frame piece. All free of corrosion and tight, so i said eh might as well take it loose and be sure so i took the battery cable and the cable from frame to rest of car off..I noticed this one however was really tight. Here its shaped like a star! Upon inspection the battery cable center star is worn and loose, but remember the nut was still tight!? Wellllll the back side of bolt to frame is painted so it wasn’t likely making contact through the back just around where the center is....so i took a wire brush to it all sprayed with electrical cleaner (all connections and battery) put her back together and so far it has started repeatedly and no hot cable...maybe i got it? Only time will tell
When a battery cable becomes loose it created heat. I had a battery cable on a golf cart work loose and it created so much heat it melted the solder holding the post in the battery.

No Tyme

Buick Ownership
buzzard1954
When a battery cable becomes loose it created heat. I had a battery cable on a golf cart work loose and it created so much heat it melted the solder holding the post in the battery.
Not sure if it could happen on the opposite end of the cable. Could that be a reasonable assumption?