• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2.0T LTG Performance Mods

supernoma

SW Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Break-in period is over so time to make more power! The 2.0T LTG had computer controlled boost in the old body style so I assume it still is, but I was surprised to see the factory air filter area does not fill up the entire air box. This was not the case with the 14-17 Regals.

Factory air box looks a little restrictive, maybe there's room for improvement with an aftermarket intake?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
In most cases factory air boxes are more than adequate, even with the addition of power mods. This has been discussed at length in some other automotive crowds I’m involved with and rarely is an air box the restrictive point.

Since the computer controls boost, adding more filter media won’t really make a difference. Plus, it’s been proven time and time again that the factory paper media is usually the best and cheapest route to good air filtration.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
A performance tune will really wake up the turbo LTG, but it seems there isn't a tune out yet for the 2018+ Regal TourX or Sportback. Even if the stock air filter was deemed to be restrictive, adding a higher flow filter & air box wouldn't give you more power since the tune has to be recalibrated to take advantage of the increased air flow.

Buschb

Buick Ownership
Tour X
I'm not tuner, but hell ya you would definitely want a tune for any changing intake.

Your MAF works in concert with the factory intake. If you change that your messing with you fuel injectors. The car can run lean.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I'm not tuner, but hell ya you would definitely want a tune for any changing intake.

Your MAF works in concert with the factory intake. If you change that your messing with you fuel injectors. The car can run lean.
The O2 sensor would sense any change in mixture and correct the mixture, like it does for changes in altitude and other factors.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
A performance tune will really wake up the turbo LTG, but it seems there isn't a tune out yet for the 2018+ Regal TourX or Sportback. Even if the stock air filter was deemed to be restrictive, adding a higher flow filter & air box wouldn't give you more power since the tune has to be recalibrated to take advantage of the increased air flow.
I have Contacted Trifecta. I was told that a tune should be available this summer. Let us hope that statement holds true and that Trifecta is not making promises like Elon Musk. At best the attached could show the performance potential of the tune.

Attachments

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
It will only adjust for small changes in air flow, which is why a car needs to tuned if you install a higher flowing air intake or exhaust.
Modern fuel systems will compensate for any airflow differences in airbox or filter. Not like in old days when carbjets needed to be altered for increased airflow, to get correct air mixture.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
That is false, which is the reason the tuning companies make a custom tune available for intake and exhaust mods. As I said before, it will adjust to small a variation in air flow related to temperature and elevation differences, but it can't adjust to a major increase in air flow.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I have Contacted Trifecta. I was told that a tune should be available this summer. Let us hope that statement holds true and that Trifecta is not making promises like Elon Musk. At best the attached could show the performance potential of the tune.
I'm sure you can count on Trifecta to keep their promise. When the LTG debuted in the 2014 Regal they had a tune available by the time I got my car in December of 2013 so they are telling the truth.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
That is false, which is the reason the tuning companies make a custom tune available for intake and exhaust mods. As I said before, it will adjust to small a variation in air flow related to temperature and elevation differences, but it can't adjust to a major increase in air flow.
Change in filter or airbox are mousefarts, not major increase in airflow.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
A perfect example is the GM performance airbox & filter for the LHU Regal. It also includes a recalibrated factory tune to make use of the added air flow of the higher flowing airbox.

I suppose you are going to say GM is wrong in doing this LOL

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I'm sure you can count on Trifecta to keep their promise. When the LTG debuted in the 2014 Regal they had a tune available by the time I got my car in December of 2013 so they are telling the truth.
That would be excellent. I’d love to see a transmission tune as well... even though, I’ve gotten used to how the factory programming shifts.

There’s already a decent aftermarket for the LTG in other models which shows the little turbo 4 has a ton of potential.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
A perfect example is the GM performance airbox & filter for the LHU Regal. It also includes a recalibrated factory tune to make use of the added air flow of the higher flowing airbox.

I suppose you are going to say GM is wrong in doing this LOL
Change in airbox is mousefarts, the power is gotten from increase in boost and probably two sensors if like upgrade kit in my Solstice coupe. They made premium fuel required on Regal even gave you sticker for fuel door.13782
On Solstice power went up from 260 hp to 290 hp increased tq. from 260 ft lb to 350 ft lb.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
So your perfect example is not tune for added airflow on intake as much as premium fuel tune for additional boost.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I never said the added air flow gave the engine the most power. I said the ECU can't adjust the fuel & air mixture to the correct ratio with the stock tune, and that it needs an aftermarket performance tune to adjust the fuel & air mixture to the correct ratio.

That was in response to you saying the O2 sensor would sense any change in mixture and correct the mixture, which I said was a false statement.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I never said the added air flow gave the engine the most power. I said the ECU can't adjust the fuel & air mixture to the correct ratio with the stock tune, and that it needs an aftermarket performance tune to adjust the fuel & air mixture to the correct ratio.

That was in response to you saying the O2 sensor would sense any change in mixture and correct the mixture, which I said was a false statement.
Any change in mixture to compensate for airbox or filter element changes, is well within variables in fuel mixture.
Mixture changes for varying altitudes or atmospheric conditions would more then compensate for miniscule gain from intake with no changes to anything else.
If you improve flow in and out of engine, then tune is needed.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
If you improve flow in and out of engine, then tune is needed.
Since air flow in and out of the engine is limited by the intake and exhaust, then according to you a tune is needed. Thanks for confirming what I have been saying all along. :thumpsup:

You can add a bigger turbo and higher flowing heads, but if you don't improve the airflow of the intake and exhaust the engine won't make any more power. This is why people install a higher flowing intake and exhaust then tune the engine. :driving:

Last edited:
Pedal Commander