2000 Buick LeSabre Custom Aftermarket Head Unit

ShaneLeSabre

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre Custom, previously owned 1990 & 1995 Buick LeSabre Limited
Hey guys! I'm just curious if any of you have experience putting an aftermarket head unit in a 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom? I tried doing it myself with help from my uncle, not our first install either. We installed a Kenwood DMX-4707S double-din unit. We used the PAC brand RP3-GM13 for chime and SWI-CP2 for steering wheel controls and everything seemed to work except it had no sound whatsoever. We double and triple checked out wires and connections and they were all in proper order as far as we could tell. The steering wheel controls were working, the head unit was powering on and had no signs of malfunction aside from now sound. I'd appreciate any advice. Many Thanks!

ShaneLeSabre

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre Custom, previously owned 1990 & 1995 Buick LeSabre Limited
no idea what the heck happened there, its posted but it can only be seen when its selected. anyways here is my original inquiry.

Hey guys! I'm just curious if any of you have experience putting an aftermarket head unit in a 2000 Buick LeSabre Custom? I tried doing it myself with help from my uncle, not our first install either. We installed a Kenwood DMX-4707S double-din unit. We used the PAC brand RP3-GM13 for chime and SWI-CP2 for steering wheel controls and everything seemed to work except it had no sound whatsoever. We double and triple checked out wires and connections and they were all in proper order as far as we could tell. The steering wheel controls were working, the head unit was powering on and had no signs of malfunction aside from now sound. I'd appreciate any advice. Many Thanks!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Did you purchase everything from the same place? If you bought it through Crutchfield they provide technical support though their prices are generally higher than other sources.

I used an Axxess/Metra interface and their universal SWC as I already had one on hand from several years ago that I never installed on my previous LeSabre.

I purchased everything through Amazon for the fast shipping, lowest price and easy return policy. I had no issues. You may have received a defective head unit or skipped a step somewhere.

BTW Crutchfield says your PAC RP3-GM13 doesn't fit our Buicks. SonicElectronix says it does so you may be looking at compatibility issues or one of them is just wrong.

You initially started this upgrade in May so you might be past a return window. Good luck.

MacGayver

Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Limited
Agree with Mad Coachman about Crutchfield. I tested Axxess ASWC-1 for steering wheel controls (the controls are actually resistive variants to the OEM electronics; had to update the firmware via a homemade USB & downloadable software or (you may purchase a USB cable). Crutchfield is the best for fit, function & support. The GMOS-05 works on my 2002 Le Sabre, too. Bench tested both, but have not installed either yet. There's some serial data that goes between the Radio, lighting, Dash Integration Module (DIM), IPM and Rear Integration Module (RIM) depending upon your RPO option for entertainment.

Regards.

1624902054108.png 1624901938676.png

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Agree with Mad Coachman about Crutchfield. I tested Axxess ASWC-1 for steering wheel controls (the controls are actually resistive variants to the OEM electronics; had to update the firmware via a homemade USB & downloadable software or (you may purchase a USB cable). Crutchfield is the best for fit, function & support. The GMOS-05 works on my 2002 Le Sabre, too.
I had no problem with the Axxess ASWC-1. It was basically plug n' play. No firmware update needed despite me having it in stock for about 5 years. I installed a current JVC head unit using their LC-GMRC-04 interface. Easy peazy.

I also know how to install a stereo using a very basic harness adapter ($8 to $12) that doesn't retain warning chimes or RAP function. In that case you have to tap into an accessory line under the dash as there is no switched power at the factory harness and the aftermarket radio will not turn on without it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Kenwood could be defective, but unless you able to confirm it's a guess on why. Do a basic hook up with power and speakers only to check if it's the head unit, interface cable or input selection.

MacGayver

Silicon Valley, CA
Buick Ownership
2002 Buick LeSabre Limited
I had no problem with the Axxess ASWC-1. It was basically plug n' play. No firmware update needed despite me having it in stock for about 5 years. I installed a current JVC head unit using their LC-GMRC-04 interface. Easy peazy.

I also know how to install a stereo using a very basic harness adapter ($8 to $12) that doesn't retain warning chimes or RAP function. In that case you have to tap into an accessory line under the dash as there is no switched power at the factory harness and the aftermarket radio will not turn on without it.
Sounds like you have done this before. Thanks for your technical advice. It's appreciated. Still replacing all bulbs in the Stock Stereo, Dash, Cluster, HVAC controls, HUD, Lighting, Doors, & Steering wheel. Who knew the steering wheel controls weer illuminated.

Attachments

• workbench-dashboard.jpg
    workbench-dashboard.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 0

Thunderhawk09

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick LeSabre Custom
cant really help on that setup I used Crutchfield for all I needed for the install and I used the ASWC-1 to retain my wheel controls

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Sounds like you have done this before. Thanks for your technical advice. It's appreciated. Still replacing all bulbs in the Stock Stereo, Dash, Cluster, HVAC controls, HUD, Lighting, Doors, & Steering wheel. Who knew the steering wheel controls weer illuminated.
I've had my dashboard apart well over a dozen times and have tried both methods of connecting my JVC. I was also experiencing an intermittent dead battery situation about every week so I got a crash course in checking for parasitic draw. I thought it was either my Axxess interface or the Python Remote start system. It turned out to be my OnStar unit. I haven't had a dead battery ever again after removing it.:cool:

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
As far as the OPs issue of no sound it's probably missing the 12v switched power which is supplied by the PAC unit. Retrace steps and make sure accessory power on the radio harness is connected properly to PAC interface. The amp in the radio is probably not starting. It very well could be a defective head unit but I somehow doubt it.

The adapter interfaces (both PAC and Axxess) have their own little power supplies that provide the necessary 12v switched power. Without that you won't get any sound.

This is an example of a basic harness adapter. It needs to have the 12v switched power from an accessory wire from under the steering column area. No chimes or RAP feature.

lesabrecustom2005

Buick Ownership
2005 buick lesabre custom

where im at with mine is here. i have everything hooked up but no power to my head unit. all the wiring from the wiring harness looks fine but i have an extra blue remote wire and 2 extra black ground wires. another forum said i needed an addtional fuse in my fuse box to connect to my power source but wanted to double check with others. thanks in advanced!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
What brand of head unit? You should not need ANYTHING extra if you're using a harness interface provided that it's compatible with your vehicle.
EDIT: I'm assuming that you have the standard system and NOT the Bose system.

Last edited:

lesabrecustom2005

Buick Ownership
What brand of head unit? You should not need ANYTHING extra if you're using a harness interface provided that it's compatible with your vehicle.
EDIT: I'm assuming that you have the standard system and NOT the Bose system.
Its a sony head unit and it is not the bose system. I didn't think i needed anything else additionally but still having trouble with it

lesabrecustom2005

Buick Ownership
Are the extra wires from the radio harness or the adapter harness?
From the adapter harness I have 4 brown wires and 2 addtional black wires (3 blacks all together). And i have an extra blue with white stripe for "REM OUT (MAX 0.4A)"

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
From the adapter harness I have 4 brown wires and 2 addtional black wires (3 blacks all together). And i have an extra blue with white stripe for "REM OUT (MAX 0.4A)"
The main wires to worry about are constant 12v and switched 12v(acc). If those 2 are not connected to their corresponding wires on the radio side you'll never get it to go. The two additional black wires are just extra ground wires so I combined them with the other ground wire. I had a Sony head unit initially which worked well but I returned due to a false claim by Best Buy about it having HD radio. I went with a JVC and never looked back. :D

lesabrecustom2005

Buick Ownership
The main wires to worry about are constant 12v and switched 12v(acc). If those 2 are not connected to their corresponding wires on the radio side you'll never get it to go. The two additional black wires are just extra ground wires so I combined them with the other ground wire. I had a Sony head unit initially which worked well but I returned due to a false claim by Best Buy about it having HD radio. I went with a JVC and never looked back. :D
I'll have to triple check the wiring and i didnt have the extra grounds connected together as well but undid that after not knowing if that was even part of the problem.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

lesabrecustom2005

Buick Ownership
And i dont need any extra fuses in the fuse box? Someone said about it before but wasnt sure how true that is

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
no idea what the heck happened there, its posted but it can only be seen when its selected. anyways here is my original inquiry.

Were you able to get it done? Inquiring minds want to know. :oops:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners