2000 Buick LeSabre Custom Aftermarket Head Unit

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Some stereo and harness adaptors color codes may not match. Confirm visually that what the interface harness cable wires are for match that of the stereo cable says.

Another forum post on information about power issues depending on unit and harness to check.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited 150k miles
That last post is referring to wiring with a simple adapter something which was already covered in post number six and eleven. The EASIEST way to do the job is with an adapter harness that retains the chimes and RAP feature. Warning chimes are very important especially if you have heads up display like I do. If something goes wrong like overheating or a sudden loss of oil pressure you would NOT get an audible warning to alert you to check your gauges. The chimes in my Axxess/Metra harness are just right as far as volume. The PAC harness adapter has adjustable volume for the chimes.
The factory warning chimes are provided by the stock radio and goes through the speakers. There is no separate buzzer as in GM cars of the past so don't think that you can rig up something for the chimes. :oops:

The Bottom line: Just spend the 60 to 100 bucks for the adapter harness kits, follow the instructions and be done with it.:D

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
If the wires are not correct it doesn't make any difference on how easy it is, confirm wires are correct on input and output devices!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
If the wires are not correct it doesn't make any difference on how easy it is, confirm wires are correct on input and output devices!
That is only an issue with the cheap harness. There is NO twelve volt switched at the factory harness. I have tried this method as well tapping into an accessory line for the 12 volt switched which you can get from under the steering column or the cigarette lighter. The Axxess harness is correct. There is a disclaimer on the cheap Scoche harness packaging that warns you to verify the wires. The speaker wires are indeed correct. The exception is the 12v switched. Without THAT the radio won't work.
As long as one understands that the stock radio is turned on by a signal from Class 2 serial data and that aftermarket radios need both a constant power and an accessory power to operate with the key.

If in doubt refer to the schematic in post number five. Pins B1 and B2 are constant 12v. If you wire the cheap harness as it says on the packaging it will not work (ask me how I know :oops:). There is no 12 volt switched(ACC) at the harness. End of lesson.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
All options need to be considered, it's not one size fits all application as there variables.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
We are talking about the 2000-2005 Lesabre. I have tried a few configurations. Let it go at that. The main variables are covered by the respective harness adapters being either Axxess/Metra or PAC which are available through sources such as Crutchfield or SonicElectronix. If going for steering wheel controls the aftermarket unit must be compatible as well.
Different adapters are available if OnStar is to be retained and/or the car has an amplified system (Bose). I do not subscribe to OnStar and do not have the Bose system therefore I chose the LC-GMRC-04 from Axxess/Metra

I use Crutchfield and SonicElectronix as reference.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
No kidding it's a 2000-2005 Lesabre something special about it? GM is GM get harness, get stereo, connect correctly, make noise, anything missing LOL.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
I just figured I would clarify what car this is for as you seem to think there are so many variables. Glad to see that you finally realized what I said over a week ago. Now if we can only hear from the OP. o_O :ROFLMAO:

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
You're welcome D. :D

Last edited:

ShaneLeSabre

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre Custom, previously owned 1990 & 1995 Buick LeSabre Limited
Sorry for my absence. I was never able to figure it out, unfortunately. I returned the stereo and harness and will be investing in a better head unit at a later date and having it professionally installed.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
Sorry for my absence. I was never able to figure it out, unfortunately. I returned the stereo and harness and will be investing in a better head unit at a later date and having it professionally installed.
Sorry to hear that. Be prepared to spend a lot more money as they will charge you a sizable markup for the adapter harness plus install.

Did you at least try calling their tech support?
I used Axxess/Metra simply because I had their Steering Wheel Control adapter on hand from my previous Lesabre but never installed it in that car....works great in my current Lesabre.

Thank you for following up as the 2000-2005 Lesabres are a bit different than your previous Buicks when it comes to upgrading the radio. I installed a JVC head unit in my 1997 Olds 88 in well under an hour. Same with my 1985 Grand Prix. JVC and Kenwood are made by the same company and a lot of their models have identical specs and features. ;)

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The company is JVCKENWOOD Corporation and they are the manufacturer operating under two separate named divisions, JVC and Kenwood. Based on the manufacturering plant locations the quality of these products may be not always equal across the product line.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
Thanks for doing the deep dive into something that many people know already. I mentioned it to the OP just in case he wasn't aware that many products have the same specs and features. I work as copier technician by trade and the dealership that I work for has three separate brands of the same machine that we service. That allows the parent company to compete in three different markets. When a replacement part is required it comes from the parent company or an aftermarket supplier. Same goes for refrigerators, air conditioners and the like. Put a different control panel on it, change the color of the panels but they are the same at the core just the faces are changed. It's called marketing.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I worked for JVC, which offering additional details on a subject is a problem for you. But if a copier repair ever comes up on the forum you can be the go to guy, now FO!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
I just find it interesting that you always pop up like a gnat buzzing around my head. Have a nice day troll. I have better things to do than argue with trolls like yourself. :ROFLMAO:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It's hard to avoid correcting statements that someone pretending to know has no clue what they are talking about, now if a Lesabre has a paper jam well we know who to get on that. But the post on JVC and Kenwood for a OP that has moved on, wasn't accurate or needed giving the impression that a 3rd party was manufacturering units for them which isn't true.

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
It's hard to avoid correcting statements that someone pretending to know has no clue what they are talking about, now if a Lesabre has a paper jam well we know who to get on that. But the post on JVC and Kenwood for a OP that has moved on, wasn't accurate or needed giving the impression that a 3rd party was manufacturering units for them which isn't true.
Thank you oh "arbiter of truth." I only made reference to the redundancy of radios and compared it to other markets. Maybe you're one of those people that think that there are thousands of refrigerators and air conditioners being sold by their own manufacturers. In regards to copier/printer repair it's a job that requires the ability to solve problems in a timely manner as I am out in the field going from office to office. That's a much different environment than working in a factory doing QC inspections on an assembly line. I'm sure you were a riot at the water cooler back in the day.

By the way Shane hasn't moved on as you say he just realized his limitations with this particular situation. I was merely informing him that JVC may afford him the same features/specs at a different price point.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners