2000 Century: Cooling fans problem

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick Century
Thread starter #1
Found 25 amp cooling fan fuse blown in box under hood. Put new 25 amp fuse in and no fans. Changed 3 pin Temp sensor, no fans. Changed 3 fan relays in fuse box under hood, still no fans. When I take plug off to temp sensor while running car both fans run fine. Put plug back on sensor fans turn back off. My AC stopped working a year ago but I don't think that would have any thing to do with the fans. Service engine soon light on far left side of dash is on but I used scanner and pulled no codes. My dash has been crazy for years. Every thing at start up is fine then gas gauge drops to empty and ABS and Trac off lights come on. Need some help here, not ready to junk her yet. thanks

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Did the fans stop working at about the same time as the AC ??? just wondering because when the AC is ON, the radiator fans should also work (at least 1 of them should). So maybe related, maybe not.

If the wheel hub bearings and the speed sensors within them are good, then the ABS and Trac problem will be with the wiring at the control arm going to the hubs. Here is a video showing the ABS Trac problem, how to diagnose it and fix it.

The gas gauge problem will be with worn out contacts on the fuel level sending unit inside the tank. Recently I read on another thread on this forum about a product called "Techtron Plus ". I think it's a liquid in a bottle you put inside the tank at fill up. But I have no idea on how successful the stuff is. Much easier to try it than buying a new sending unit ( $60 to $100) and swapping with the old one. Fuel pump / sending unit access is from the back seat through the trunk opening, under trunk carpet right by the back seat is a access panel to the fuel pump.

Those Fans not working, but working when temp sensor is unplugged has to be diagnosed by a car magician ( ie... guru with a scope on a rope and other electrical probes ).. Unless you know how to chase down electrical gremlins. Maybe someone who had the same problem will chime in and tell you the fix. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You have a service engine light on but no codes, did you check for a blown fuse for the OBDII port, sometimes it is the cigarette lighter fuse.

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick Century
Thread starter #5
You have a service engine light on but no codes, did you check for a blown fuse for the OBDII port, sometimes it is the cigarette lighter fuse.
No I did not. But I will check it out. Just can not see how when I unplug the 3 wire plug to the temp sensor that the temp gauge on the dash still works. Is there another sensor for the gauge ???

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.