• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2001 Base Park Avenue with noisy fuel pump

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
The original fuel pump became noisy at about 70,000 miles. Since there is a neat removable access plate in the trunk, I decided to go ahead and replace the pump. I chose an Airtex E3518M pump and it was quiet for about a year and a half. Being aware of the cooling effects of fuel, I am careful to fill my tank when it reaches the one half mark.
My vehicle now has 110,000 miles and the Airtex pump is now about 4 years old. The pump continues to buzz louder and louder when the weather is hot, even with a full tank of fuel. During the winter months ( not many of these in Florida) the pump is fairly quiet. I am not experiencing mechanical issues but the problem is the noise issue. Phone calls to the technical service department at Airtex have not been productive.
At this point I am torn between living with the issue or pulling the pump and replace with an OEM A C Delco pump but it too could become noisy.If you have thoughts or suggestions , I would value your input.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
It definitely has an inline fuel filter that is changed on a regular basis.
We have a temperature sensitive issue dependent on the temperature of the gasoline in the tank. Starting out in the morning the fuel is cool and there is no whining sound. After driving X number of miles you can hear a faint sound. Continue driving in hot weather and the volume increases. The hotter the day means increased volume. Stop for gas, put in half a tankful bringing it to the full mark and the volume decreases for a short period of time. It seems the only cure is a new fuel pump. Are there others that have experienced this issue?

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
Have you tried opening the gas cap when the pump becomes noisy?
I assume you do not have a check engine light on?
There is no check engine light. Concerning opening the gas cap when the pump is noisy, I have not done this with the engine running. I have removed the gas cap with engine off to add fuel when the pump is noisy. The addition of cool fuel reduces or temporally eliminates the whining sound for X number of minutes. Quite sure that it is a fuel temperature issue associated with a pump that has a certain defect.

97PA

Buick Ownership
1997 Park Avenue
I hate to tell you this but what you describe is typical for Airtex fuel pumps over time and sometimes when new. It will continue to get louder to the point where it will quit. I try to use the OEM Delco or Delphi fuel pumps when I can and they are about $40/free shipping on Ebay. There's a current Ebay listing from global-automotive as Part No. ACD1001 for $38/free shipping. This is just the pump and not the complete fuel unit with sending assembly like the Delco MU1791. You will need to splice in the pump unit which will work on the original Delco complete fuel pump assembly but I don't know if it will work with your current installed Airtex EM3518M.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
I hate to tell you this but what you describe is typical for Airtex fuel pumps over time and sometimes when new. It will continue to get louder to the point where it will quit. I try to use the OEM Delco or Delphi fuel pumps when I can and they are about $40/free shipping on Ebay. There's a current Ebay listing from global-automotive as Part No. ACD1001 for $38/free shipping. This is just the pump and not the complete fuel unit with sending assembly like the Delco MU1791. You will need to splice in the pump unit which will work on the original Delco complete fuel pump assembly but I don't know if it will work with your current installed Airtex EM3518M.
Thanks for your message. I think that you are correct. Will definitely use AC Delco for my next pump. On short trips, there is no problem and in cool weather long trips are OK too.