2001 Buick Century Radio bulb Replacement

Thunderhawk09

Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Century Custom
I am Getting ready to Do A bulb replacement on my century's radio 4 bulbs has burned out so I am upgrading all bulbs to led I have searched the net for this radio for replacing the bulb to avail I found jack so I have done my own Investigating and tore my radio down to see what bulbs was needed to do this process now the bulbs are filtered as well as the climate control so since the bulb has the color filter we can choose to change back light color at this time I have already done the climate control and Gauge cluster with blue And used a color filter sheet to change the radio clock & odometer PRND321 indicator red instead of green these displays has the color either in the displays or the the lens like the clock on radio the easiest way to change them is a color filter sheet but being green it does not give a lot of good color combo's when filtering but the red works great so red is what I set in on cause I did not want blue back light with green odometer so that is how I came upon this choice. The picture is of the radio face of course and the location of the bulbs there are 16 bulbs on this radio and they are smaller than the climate control so they will be a bit more difficult to do but I am going at it. I got new bulbs coming and will update as things unfold and with finished product NOTE the climate control match's the dash but for some reason it will not show in pics right there is not hot cold spot like pic seems to show

Attachments

Thunderhawk09

Buick Ownership
Done It Was a PITA But got it done found some 5mm dome led that are 12 v dc without resistor for this project took way longer than I planned but got it lit up blue now and now all work

Thunderhawk09

Buick Ownership
Dude, I wish I had your hands to solder in LEDs like that. Both my hands are trash and I'm awful at soldering.
I have been Soldering For 30 years but this project kicked My butt six ways from Sunday I was planning down the road to replace my head unit but for the heck of it decided to go ahead and do the lights It was more of a can you do it moment anyway, after taking that peak and seeing how small the traces is I second guessed my self doing it but had already posted that I was going through with it so I did but knowing now what I do About it I Would have never tackled it 4.5hrs that thing beat me at every turn got 14 of the 16 replaced and was testing the lights I had soldered test wire leads to the radio ground and the Illumination wire to tie my test jumper too and was testing after the 14th bulb all was good 14 lit up great turned them off then decided to look one more time flipped them on they flickered then went dead and smoke flew from radio the ribbon wire for the face had come half unplugged and shorted out and burnt up 3 inch of the circuit trace on main radio board great so now I am 1 step forwards and two steps back now almost at finish line I got to repair circuit trace before I can continue so here I go with My reading glasses trying to find the trace luckily I found it repaired and continued my bulb swap not 100 Percent successful though yesterday the tuner went out on radio now Have no radio function so I called it. I13880 said to heck with it and bought me a double din kenwood head unit I had some fun with the swap now I am not for sure if the tuner is related to my deal but It was a temp deal anyway I just should have went with the new head unit and saved me 4.5 hrs of pure PITA yes It was A big PITA And And I Do Not Recommend any Novice Solderer to try it. The Climate control was A cake walk compared to this one, Other GM Model Radio may not be that bad but I will Not Tackle another one of these Edited my image with the Image of the head unit I purchased It arrives friday. You win Some And Lose Some Not Sure What I would call this one cause I did want this head unit so now even though I really did not need to spend the cash for that right now I got My Head unit so Win Lose I guess Its a little of both Got To Laugh LOL

Last edited:

ledzilla

Buick Ownership
2001 Century Custom
Well, at least you now have an interesting story to tell. =D

I ditched my factory unit a few years ago because there was something wrong with it and some of the functionality. I tossed in a double DIN Pioneer unit and some new speakers. The only problem was cleaning out the glass shards under the back window. Cut up my hands pretty well because I couldn't clean them all out. A branch fell and shattered the back some years before, and, well, that glass just gets into places you wouldn't imagine.

Anyway, that new unit looks pretty nice in there, and you made for one heck of an interesting read. Too bad it ultimately didn't work out.

Thunderhawk09

Buick Ownership
yeah the fade knob was Dead On Mine Started At one point to just replace with the cd version of the radio but them used are 150-180 buck normally and the theft lock means I would have to pay a dealer to program it to my vin so I said To Heck the factory unit

Thunderhawk09

Buick Ownership
There Much Better Sounds Better too Wow Should have done this to start with Sorry to all I may Have Given hope for doing this above is how if you would like to tackle it but Beware me I am over it got me A new Head unit and love it so good luck1395213953139541395513956139571395813959

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
yeah the fade knob was Dead On Mine Started At one point to just replace with the cd version of the radio but them used are 150-180 buck normally and the theft lock means I would have to pay a dealer to program it to my vin so I said To Heck the factory unit
These radios are actually not VIN locked. Those aren't seen until the 2003 model. It is a theft lock though, and could require a code entered if an owner ever bothered to enter one in the past.

Sorry the original went south on you, but the replacement seems great and looks good.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.