2001 century heater blowing cold air

torturechamber6

Buick Ownership
Century
I have read a few threads and have not found anything that relates to my issue. The fan blows on all speeds. As I adjust the temperature dials to blow hot it does not change the temperature of the air that flows from the vents. The vehicle does not overheat. I have also switched the knob to every fan type and this also makes no difference. The fan types are: max, vent, bi-lev, htr, blend and def. Common sense would tell me that htr is for the heater and I have tried to leave it on this setting, to no avail.

BK3

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2002 Century
First, check your coolant level.
If low it may not overheat, but the interior heat might not work.
If low, fill to proper level with the proper coolant.

To what point does the temp gauge rise to after you have been driving for a while?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
A quick check is to see if coolant is getting to the heater core. Once the car has gotten to operating temperature, about 20 minutes depending on where you live, carefully feel both heater core hoses they should be both about the same warmth. If not you could be low on coolant, thermostat may be bad or going, the coolant may have a air pocket and would need to be burped aka bleed. A plugged system may have effects on the heater core also.

If you are getting warm/hot from the hoses in could be the actuator or control panel not working. I don't have any experience on this cars hvac system but below is a diagram on the parts, hope this helps.

0305284W10-019.png990924MW09-044.png

torturechamber6

Buick Ownership
Century
I think you may have misunderstood. My car does not overheat. My heater does not work.

torturechamber6

Buick Ownership
Century
First, check your coolant level.
If low it may not overheat, but the interior heat might not work.
If low, fill to proper level with the proper coolant.

To what point does the temp gauge rise to after you have been driving for a while?
The temp gauge does not rise above slightly over the halfway point of hot and cold.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
If it's not mechanical problem then it's electrical, so eliminating some of those is how to trouble shoot as not getting heat isn't a single answer problem, I'm not sure, maybe someone else on the forum knows, but there may be vacuum lines on the vent controls. If the vacuum lines are broken/cracked the vent flaps in the hvac box won't move between hot or cold, again not sure if this applies to your model.

ledzilla

Buick Ownership
2001 Century Custom
I've had issues with a cylinder head leak causing a slow leak of coolant outside of the engine. When it gets low enough, the car doesn't overheat, but I also get little to no heat until I refill the coolant and bleed the air out. Air bubbles can cause a no heat situation as well, because all you'll have is air inside the core, but coolant still running through the rest of the engine normally.

Check your coolant levels, check the heat in your hoses like mentioned above. If your heater hoses are cool/cold but your coolant level looks ok, you'll want to bleed the system. Also, it sounds like your steady temp reading my bit a bit on the high side. Typically, from my experience, if you aren't idling it or stuck in traffic, the gauge should read steady one mark closer to cold from the middle. One mark above halfway, I think, kicks on the fan. Given the steady high tempt, you may also need a new thermostat, but I'm not sure that would solve your heat issue.

And like mentioned, if the coolant level is good, and the heater hoses are hot/warm, it could be an electrical/electronic issue. That could be the dash controls or the blend door actuator (have a car where that's gone bad, but it's stuck on heat right now). So, rule out any issues with the cooling system first, since that's the easiest to do. If that all looks good, then you'll have to check out the HVAC controls and components.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.