2001 - cruise shuts off when I turn headlights on...

danielzink

Buick Ownership
2001 Park Avenue
Kind of a strange deal...

Car runs great.

No CEL's.

Cruise works just dandy 98% of the time....

If I'm driving along and it's dusk....starting to get dark....

As soon as I reach down and pull out the headlights knob on the dash...the cruise disarms...and will not re-arm unless I push the headlights knob back in...

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Dan

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
First guess is that the brake lights may be shorting out when turning on the lights telling the system that the brakes are being applied, but it's only a guess. Check the brake lights including the center if any issues show up when turning on all the lights. Others may have addtional suggestions on the problem.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
First guess is that the brake lights may be shorting out when turning on the lights telling the system that the brakes are being applied, but it's only a guess. Check the brake lights including the center if any issues show up when turning on all the lights. Others may have addtional suggestions on the problem.
Park avenue cuts cruise control of it detects a traction or stability event, wheels slip on the drive axle (enough random variation to be erratic, but maybe not enough to do stabiliteak(could indicate unreliable speed readings)
Brake pedal switch application(check adjustment) the switch I believe is meant to cut off BEFORE alights illuminate. So to allow cutting with your feet and not hitting the lighra(I prefer this to the switch)
Also if the engine is misfiring I believe it will too. Let me find a manual

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
So other than driver inputs like the switch and brake pedal, I think the only change for 2001 would be addition of stabilitrak controlling off but don’t quote me

Attachments

• C9D02B6C-2E1D-4F81-888D-6697ED9F5E7F.jpeg
    C9D02B6C-2E1D-4F81-888D-6697ED9F5E7F.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 1

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
So other than driver inputs like the switch and brake pedal, I think the only change for 2001 would be addition of stabilitrak controlling off but don’t quote me
Here’s an adjustment to check

Attachments

• E77291B3-6527-4EB8-9BD1-184577218AD0.jpeg
    E77291B3-6527-4EB8-9BD1-184577218AD0.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 2

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
OP said it cuts off when he turns on the lights which is usually and doesn't appear to relate to the other possible items, but there may be more reasons also.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I
OP said it cuts off when he turns on the lights which is usually and doesn't appear to relate to the other possible items, but there may be more reasons also.
Im thinking it’s either a shared ground on the pillar firewall or he’s jumping positive power when using switch to a fircuit that’s a kill for the cruise, either by drawing low or the pcm commanding lff

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
Kind of a strange deal...

Car runs great.

No CEL's.

Cruise works just dandy 98% of the time....

If I'm driving along and it's dusk....starting to get dark....

As soon as I reach down and pull out the headlights knob on the dash...the cruise disarms...and will not re-arm unless I push the headlights knob back in...

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Dan
I thought all big GM H bodies had auto headlights. My first one (1997 Bonneville SE) had them as well as my 3 Olds Eighty Eights from the same generation. One would assume that a top of the line car such as the Park Avenue would have auto headlights as well. I haven't had to manually turn on my headlights since buying my Bonne in 2003.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I thought all big GM H bodies had auto headlights. My first one (1997 Bonneville SE) had them as well as my 3 Olds Eighty Eights from the same generation. One would assume that a top of the line car such as the Park Avenue would have auto headlights as well. I haven't had to manually turn on my headlights since buying my Bonne in 2003.
his sensor could be bad which reverts the headlights back to work on RAP but otherwise manual. so 10 minutes they would stay on and cut off to savbe power. im pretty sure a super bone-stock park avenue in maybe 97 could be had with manual headlights.. but i am pretty sure t/s was just standard mostly

Get your turbo buick badge right here!