• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2001 Park Avenue IAC valve removal

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
My 2001 Park Avenue has some idle issues and I would like to remove the valve for cleaning or possible replacement. This would seem like a very basic task. Just remove the wiring connector and two tamper resistant screws. This would be the case except for the thread locking compound applied at the factory. The screws will turn about one sixteenth of a round and that is all. I have tried tightening and loosing back and forth but nothing is being gained. On a previous vehicle, I had the unfortunate experience of breaking off the screws in the throttle body doing this exact job. Over the years I have been fortunate in removing broken fasteners but these screws are very small and I had to purchase a replacement throttle body. There is not much chance of using penetrating oil to help loosen the screws in this particular case due to the lack of access. Any tips or suggestions?

bigsky

5.7L LT1 Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Montana
Buick Ownership
97 PA (salvage 185k), 99 PA (sold 140k-now 150k), 2K PA (sold 120k-now 170k), 03 PAU 167k, 04 PAU
I too have broke off both screws...on the 99.

I was visiting with a mechanic about this and he suggested to try removing the screws when the engine is HOT. The screws came out easy on the 03...I think I did it when the engine was hot but I do not know if that made the difference...maybe GM changed something over the years after getting feedback.

Last edited:

torres7

Lincoln Nebraska
Buick Ownership
Buick RMW
Your only choice is to try unscrewing it and if it breaks go to the junk yard and find a used throttle body. Other than that, take the throttle body out and try to spray some cleaner into the IAC valve as good as you can and hope for the best.

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
Heat, cold, and shock are your best bets to remove them. Shock from a spring loaded center punch to the middle of the bolt. Heat from a drive cycle, and cold from an upside down dust off can will thermally shock the bolt.

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
My 2001 Park Avenue has some idle issues and I would like to remove the valve for cleaning or possible replacement. This would seem like a very basic task. Just remove the wiring connector and two tamper resistant screws. This would be the case except for the thread locking compound applied at the factory. The screws will turn about one sixteenth of a round and that is all. I have tried tightening and loosing back and forth but nothing is being gained. On a previous vehicle, I had the unfortunate experience of breaking off the screws in the throttle body doing this exact job. Over the years I have been fortunate in removing broken fasteners but these screws are very small and I had to purchase a replacement throttle body. There is not much chance of using penetrating oil to help loosen the screws in this particular case due to the lack of access. Any tips or suggestions?

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I did not actually remove the IAC, as my high idle issue was solved by a new CTS. I had a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Upon replacement of the CTS, my idle speed dropped from 1200 rpms plus to the normal 650 rpm. Easy fix and I hope this info may help someone that may have a similar problem. The original CTS lasted 112,100 miles.

Pedal Commander