2001 Regal GS 3.8SC no power, light, dash, absolute nothing after short stop

Regalschrauber

2001 Regal 3.8 sc
Hi everyone.
My Regal pulled a new surprise for me (after sputter ans shutting down on highway, missfire .... fixed by crankshaft sensor, plugs and wires last year) :
Since last Saturday is mpg down to 15 and low tire light on. Yesterday after short stop a short crank like half a second and then absolute darkness. No lights, no dash, no beeps or blinks, stonecold dead.
Opened the hood, wiggled the usual suspects (as far as i could find them in the dark) like battery cables, fuse box etc. After little kicking and cussing a weak beep a the interior came back. Cranking failed an dimmed everything bad down, same did the fob by unlocking the pass door. 20 key turns later the starter started turning. It felt almost like the power slowly comes back after a UFO passed you (too many movies in my head.. I know).
The tyre low light was off now and mpg was up to 25 and slowly went down to 21 in about 4 minutes driving. This morning immediately starting, no problems to get to work, but back down to 15mpg. Just started it again. No probs.
In 10 minutes is quitting time...i'm scared.
What is that? A bad main ground somewhere? A dying computer?
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks Regalschrauber

Regal LTD Coupe

1993 Buick Regal Limited coupe 3800 (& 1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4900)
I would guess the battery cable(s) are corroded internally or a bad ground but could be a number of things.

Regalschrauber

2001 Regal 3.8 sc
The battery is about 3 years old, voltage looks ok. The main ground seems ok.
I was thought there might be something internal wrong with the battery and hooked up every second night and had no trouble since.
Until saturday night: Cranked for a split second, then everything went dark. Second attempt to start worked just fine a second later.
I didn't use it yesterday, but hooked up the charger for the night. It was charging with 2.5A and was under 1A in 15 minutes.
Took the charger off this morning, got into the car and turned the key, dashboard came on and than absolute darkness,.
Nothing!
Forgot to turn off the key, opened the hood, called my boss that i'm late (again).
In the moment i touched the main positive cable and bent it a little, bam (!), all lights on clicking gas pump etc. scared the crap out of me.
So Regal LTD Coupe was right, corroded cable under the red rubber sleeve or in the cable isolation probably.

HotZ28

1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Remove the positive (+) terminal and cut off the plastic shielding to expose the three terminals inside and inspect the wires for corrosion down into the wires. If you find corrosion in the wires, you may want to permanently resolve the problem by cutting the existing terminal off and some of the wire to get clean stranded wire. You can find heavy duty terminals @ AZ and use a small propane torch to solder the terminals to the wires. You will also need to purchase two gold plated mounting post for the terminals (as shown in the pic below). I had the same problem about 13-yrs ago and made this upgrade, with no problems since. BTW, if you will notice, I did use heat shrink up to the terminal neck on each positive terminal.

Battery Terminals.JPG

Last edited:

Regalschrauber

2001 Regal 3.8 sc
Excellent job HotZ28. Its so tight down there, but i think i have to figure it out, especially after seeing the price of a OEM replacement. Waiting for better weather :)

Turbo Buick Badge