2002 lesabre aftermarket radio install question

Takigu

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm wanting to install an aftermarket radio in my '02 lesabre and i want to make sure i buy all the parts i need before i tear apart my dash. I'm not sure what antenna adapter to get.
Here is my list:
[h=1]Axxess GMRC-04[/h]Scosche Double DIN dash kit

Is that all i need? i dont have steering wheel controls or anything.

tgtn7757

Buick Newbie
East TN
Buick Ownership
2000 Buick Lesabre Limited
Doesn't look like anyone responded. I always go to crutchfield.com and use the "see what fits in your car" then add the head-unit I'm installing to my cart. They will then suggest the bracket, wire harness, antennae adapter (and anything else) you need to install in your particular vehicle. You don't have to buy from Crutchfield, although I usually do. Hope this helps!

tgtn7757

Buick Newbie
East TN
Buick Ownership
2000 Buick Lesabre Limited
I was curious, did you ever get the radio installed? I just watched a video on youtube where the guy had to cut a bunch of the dash (behind the radio) in order to get the new one to fit. Did you have to do this?

NickaV

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre Custom
I replaced my radio this past summer and I had to cut out a bunch of the plastic. Mostly just to fit in the radio + cables. You can use a drill with spade bits (thats what I used) and it seems to work fairly well. There really isn't a "good" way to do it. Just make sure not to cut any wires!

ShaneLeSabre

Buick Ownership
2000 Buick LeSabre Custom, previously owned 1990 & 1995 Buick LeSabre Limited
I just bought back into the Buick family after 3 years away. I am looking into getting an after market stereo myself. I know there are these new head units that do not play CD/DVD discs so they tend to be a lot shallower in dimensions. Does anyone know if using one of these, I can forego the extra cutting require for most full sized disc-playing units?

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I just bought back into the Buick family after 3 years away. I am looking into getting an after market stereo myself. I know there are these new head units that do not play CD/DVD discs so they tend to be a lot shallower in dimensions. Does anyone know if using one of these, I can forego the extra cutting require for most full sized disc-playing units?
They're called Digital Media Receivers. Most are very shallow but some like Sony use a standard depth chassis. You will also need an adapter harness as there is no switched power (accessory) at the harness. I use Crutchfield or Sonic Elelectronix as a reference and then buy through Amazon for a better price and easy returns if there is an issue. I went with a JVC in mine but if I had to do it all over again I would have picked a Kenwood as my JVC is difficult to see the display in the daytime. JVC and Kenwood are made by the same manufacturer.
Also make sure to read the reviews. If you want to retain your steering wheel controls you will need an adapter which will tap into your radio's harness. Make sure the radio you purchase has steering wheel capability.

Edit: I used the items listed in post #1 and #3

Last edited:

sightcrr

Buick Ownership
2004 LeSabre Custom, 2005 LeSabre Limited
It is a good time to look into back up camera on rear license plate that switches on when in reverse.

broke_collegekid

Buick Ownership
2003 lesabre limited
It is a good time to look into back up camera on rear license plate that switches on when in reverse.
I got the Sony XAV from Crutchfield and it came with a adapter thing to fit it in the stereo space. I did not have to do any cutting for this unit, and it comes with a rear backup camera plug in and I think it can automatically switch to it when youre in reverse. I didn't install the backup camera though, but might get one for cheap in the future since I am in the city.

DEADF15H

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Lasabre Custom
I'll put a plug in for Crutchfield. I know zero about radio installs, I always buy ours from there because when I get in a jam, I pick up the phone and call their tech support. Which I had to do for my LaSabre install as the steering wheel control harness had me baffled.

DirtyDizzle

Buick Ownership
Lesabre
A full size radio will fit without cutting the problem you run into is the factory radio which is a full size double din uses a ribbon style connector which leaves no clearance for connectors and rcas. If you use a short chassis you can get away without having to cut but some have also fit full size in without clearance issues. I used a hot knife/woodburning tool to cut mine down a bit for clearance but the atoto headunit did fit very tight before cutting. It was super easy to do. The problem I had is I had to fit a factory integration unit 3 sets of Rcas a Wi-Fi antenna and a gps antenna. I pulled the dash cap to hide the antennnas behind the dash on passenger side and cut behind the headunit to make room for everything else. I would definitely suggest spending the extra 70-100 for the factory integration unit to retain chimes and RAP.
The install was a little intimidating even for me and I've been installing my own audio as well as friends and family for years but once I got started it was simple enough. The hardest part for me was finding clips to screw in the new deck. I ended up helping a friend swap out a dash in 2010 Silverado and used the factory clips out of that they are the same size and style and fit perfectly in the slots that are already there in the dash.

Mad_Coachman

Baldwin, New York
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
The bottom line is if you're going to cut out the cavity where the radio will sit be sure to REMOVE the factory harness prior to any cutting so you don't accidentally cut through any of the wires. You don't remove the harness from the car, just get it out of the way. An interface harness adapter; LC-GMRC-04 from Metra/Axxess costs about 67 bucks through Amazon.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!