2002 Lesabre randomly shuts off while driving - no codes (to cause this)

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
Decided to clean the throttle body and install a new iac valve. Used a can of brake cleaner and what was left of a can of carb cleaner. Didnt take off the TB just removed the rubber intake boot and used the spray thru the iac valve hole and where the air enters the TB while opening and closing the throttle plate.

Had to do a relearn for the idle after putting it all back together. Drove it a couple of miles in the rain. Ran good and no codes appeared. I'm gonna keep increasing the distance I drive it until it acts up again.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
20210717_134745.jpg 20210717_140751.jpg Nothing to see here. Just one of many programs that can help diagnose car problems, but like any program it needs to be used when everything is operating properly or it's easy to pay too much attention to a reading that's not causing an issue,

I'd like to think my buick 3.8 was just in need of some attention. And after cleaning the TB, replacing a few sensors, fuel pump, letting it relearn a good benchmark for how it should run it's not gonna act up again.....

G'night folks.

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
Getting ready for a longer test drive. Just replaced the fuel filter. When I blew thru it the gas was dirty, so another small item that needed attention. Gonna stop by an auto store and purchase a fuel line clip that I broke when doing the flow test yesterday. I currently have a solid wire looped thru where the clip goes to keep it from popping off from pressure. If it acts up again, unless I have a code indicating a solid malfunction I'll get an icm to put under the coil packs. It starts right up and idles fine with or with out the AC on or in drive/reverse- so the computer is making adjustments to keep it running properly, but the problem has been intermittent, so I'll just have to dive it to see what's up.

I hate just throwing parts at a vehicle.

-I may even purchase a new gas cap- the vapor canister looked ok under the car and I never have smelled gas fumes.

Alan 55

Sustaining Member
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Getting ready for a longer test drive. Just replaced the fuel filter. When I blew thru it the gas was dirty, so another small item that needed attention. Gonna stop by an auto store and purchase a fuel line clip that I broke when doing the flow test yesterday. I currently have a solid wire looped thru where the clip goes to keep it from popping off from pressure. If it acts up again, unless I have a code indicating a solid malfunction I'll get an icm to put under the coil packs. It starts right up and idles fine with or with out the AC on or in drive/reverse- so the computer is making adjustments to keep it running properly, but the problem has been intermittent, so I'll just have to dive it to see what's up.

I hate just throwing parts at a vehicle.

-I may even purchase a new gas cap- the vapor canister looked ok under the car and I never have smelled gas fumes.

Thanks again for keeping us updated on your projects. I believe that you will be successful in solving this issue because you do not give up easy. You are doing a number of things the correct way. For anyone reading this, it is best to use a sensor safe throttle body cleaner when cleaning up that component. For the most part, I agree with the steps that you are taking and appreciate your pictures and updates.

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
Have not been working on this issue. It just seems to get a bit better each time I drive it. Especially if I'm flooring it or keeping it under any load......so I just ran it down on gas. Filled it up, added injector cleaner and water remover.

It seems to be getting better, because it has not shut off while driving at low speed barely giving it gas. (that seemed to be when it happened most.) - Or at a complete stop.

I have replaced the gas cap. I'll post the MAFF readings and MAP readings along with the fuel trims on a later post. Just wrote them down at different rpms. I've been too busy to continually try and diagnose this car, but it may be getting better on it's on.
The last trouble code was for low current on the MAP sensor. (today) I couldn't reset it so opened the hood and remembered I unplugged it to see what would happen.....nothing but an error code.

Took me forever to relocate this post. Gonna bookmark it. I hope I can give a reasonable explanation for this random shut down, but as time goes by and it seems to be getting better who knows.

I hate not knowing.

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
Wrote down the readings I said I'd post. Not posting them now but nothing jumped out at me as unusual. They're in the glovebox now. Continuing to drive it more than usual.

I purchased the icm to go under the coils about 7 weeks ago. Was gonna throw that part at it if necessary. So far the car just seems to get better/or doesn't mess up when I drive it, so the icm is still in the box.

Without any codes coming up it may have been a bad tank of gas. I'm gonna keep driving it and will write down some of the pid info/readings I have written down from about 7 days ago.

I also think the new gas cap has helped. I haven't gotten the check gas cap warning since replacing it with a new one, but that wasn't each time i drove it so time will tell....

Summary -
Running good. No codes

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
SHIT - it happened again. Went to the bank, went to the ABC Store, ....everything perfect, stopped at convenience store, came out and it wouldn't crank. Same issue. It'd fire off enough to disengage the starter then immediately die. No fault light. Tried to crank with gas peddle to floor, same thing...crank up enough to disengage starter then die.
Plugged in my cheap OBD tester and it said pending P0172 - bank 1 flooded / too rich - which it should be with gas going into the engine but no crank to burn it up. -Unplugged the MAFF Sensor and got it home.
With the Maff sensor unplugged it would crank, try to die the rev up, try to die....Put it in drive and made it home with the engine running poorly. (like it didnt know how long to keep the fuel injectors pulsing at the correct time for proper fuel flow.

Each cylinder has it's own injector. If 1 is operating poorly a PO300X for that cylinder should accompany any other codes?

OK, I can replace the icm with a new one I got from RockAuto. I also have purchased two used Maf sensors from pullapart off 2004 lesabres. (already replaced it early on with new one) so see no reason to change again. Gonna replace something else. Probably the icm with the new one i purchased, LX364 5yr waranty.

I've looked at a couple at spark plugs and they look ok.

I just want to do 1 thing at a time and drive until it acts up again or doesn't. That's one reason this thread my continue for .... well however long it takes.

---Next part change is the LX364 icm below the coil packs.----this weekend

Just an update.
Thanks-

edit to add -P0440 (EVAP) and P0401 (EGR) - check gas cap - have not returned since the new gas cap - but of course I got a error for unplugging the MAF sensor to get it to take me home from the convenience store.

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
SHIT - it happened again. Went to the bank, went to the ABC Store, ....everything perfect, stopped at convenience store, came out and it wouldn't crank. Same issue. It'd fire off enough to disengage the starter then immediately die. No fault light. Tried to crank with gas peddle to floor, same thing...crank up enough to disengage starter then die.
Plugged in my cheap OBD tester and it said pending P0172 - bank 1 flooded / too rich - which it should be with gas going into the engine but no crank to burn it up. -Unplugged the MAFF Sensor and got it home.
With the Maff sensor unplugged it would crank, try to die the rev up, try to die....Put it in drive and made it home with the engine running poorly. (like it didnt know how long to keep the fuel injectors pulsing at the correct time for proper fuel flow.

Each cylinder has it's own injector. If 1 is operating poorly a PO300X for that cylinder should accompany any other codes?

OK, I can replace the icm with a new one I got from RockAuto. I also have purchased two used Maf sensors from pullapart off 2004 lesabres. (already replaced it early on with new one) so see no reason to change again. Gonna replace something else. Probably the icm with the new one i purchased, LX364 5yr waranty.

I just want to do 1 thing at a time and drive until it acts up again or doesn't. That's one reason this thread my continue for .... well however long it takes.

Just an update.
Thanks-

edit to add -P0440 (EVAP) and P0401 (EGR) - check gas cap - have not returned since the new gas cap - but of course I got a error for unplugging the MAF sensor to get it to take me home from the convenience store.
oh my
i am one to consider possibilities, sometimes to a efficiency detriment.. but oh my

@Mad_Coachman suggested to you early on some things to check / the issue likely lay in venting/vacuum/evap systems

Im gonna spare trying to respond to everything or even all of your recent stuff. You are smart, yes, but being smart is so often a catch 22 it seems. I in trying to wrap your brain around an issue, you tunnel vision and commit intellectual dishonesty in your haste/passion.

take a few steps back, and hear me say this:
you dont know what youre doing or have the answers
you sure have a lot of things you can say you ruled out or have entertained thats for sure
you sure have a lot of details or facts, but thems aint the answers

now i say all that with love, because I can 4d chess myself into a straight jacket if i allow myself. i mentioned mad coach man up there earlier in this post. he suggested stuff not because hes been cross checking the diagnostics, saw the live data and the weather conditions, and has crafted his knowledge and what he saw to present you a fix

hes just been around gm cars for a long while and been on forums for a long while and hes seen a long whiles worth of cookie cutter examples, paterns, trends and understands the causes and can see where overlap on problems , typical problem resolution, etc all shake out. Hes done an intellectual break down of the situation to a very similar level as you and your brain needs to hear that because its possibly a little ahead of itself arrogance wise or cocky, and maybe even a lil offended right now. How could he possibly have put as much work into it? Mind wise?

hes applied his mental resources far more macro-level and thus over time and various examples, which is more likely to give a representative ake away, learning, or level-headed in general.

now, he has done the same amount of work as you, isnt months deep in the what was, is definitely not worried about it at the moment, probably ffeels "his loss" when things got that far etc, and he is at least 25-25, at a conservative guess, of being right on related situations , more than likely way better than half

Youre still pre-scoring , but that doesnt have to stay that way. with your knowledge must come experience and logical test of your knowledge against life, the cars, yourself, buick, etc.
Untitled.png

hes had the benefit of just having been there done that already so its not as complex for him

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
its okay dude, breathe, go eat a donut or something and drinkk a glass of milk or vodka whatever your morning brew, get some carbs in your body maybe some cereal. wind back the clock to the early stages.

What is your current car complaints or issues, perhaps driveability related, and could you explain what those are and any codes you get as of now. don't view it as a continuation of a long time, think of it as a slice of right now, here.

force your brain to assume its as competant as a nerdy outcast at prom and be open to analysis that I and maybe others would possibly say.

I have the fortune of being a defective unit(human) that has memory deficits but not in the way you would think of memory problems. The storing and coding of literal meaningless and unrelated memory/experience to impressive degree may seem like a helpful thing in life, but boy let me tell you.....
the important part is im full of knowledge and how smart i am has more to do with how i use and apply and interact with future knowledge and expeiences. if I cant do that then im a glorified dash cam. that curse of knowledge is something I used to evaluate a lot of what you wrote over last few months and evaluated what i know about these cars. I have a good amount of reason to think for a lot of what i could say, because ive seen it read it done it heard it thought of it etc. And ive also been right where you are in my own car stuff.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)

Just an update.
Thanks-

So hi, I am Taylor, I see youre having issues with your buick today, please describe the driveability/function problems your car has, and list any DTCs you have at this time. please also give a brief list detailing what has been changed so far.

or else ill keep typing, its only a drag until we get to Bosch 5.3 operational theory, that's when it starts to become exciting

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
f53387ab45f77db49eab416695d2ccb2.png
if you actually agree to try a new aproach vector, we will neeed this supplementary material , so just filing it here so i dont lose it

dadymurano

Buick Ownership
Buick
My god. If i could read Martian......

I think the Mad Coachman is most likely right on.

I'll give him all and any accolades when I fix my car.

Keep in mind I'm an old man. This isn't my daily driver. I's obvious I've overthought the issue but for me to overthink something is just normal thought for most people, as I've always struggled with issues that required thought and reasoning.

If you read this thread in one sitting, you probably think "that old man is never gonna fix that car"

I'm currently just chilling from a full days work. (not automotive work thank goodness) so my brain is entering RELAX mode.

Thanks.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
My god. If i could read Martian......

I think the Mad Coachman is most likely right on.

I'll give him all and any accolades when I fix my car.

Keep in mind I'm an old man. This isn't my daily driver. I's obvious I've overthought the issue but for me to overthink something is just normal thought for most people, as I've always struggled with issues that required thought and reasoning.

If you read this thread in one sitting, you probably think "that old man is never gonna fix that car"

I'm currently just chilling from a full days work. (not automotive work thank goodness) so my brain is entering RELAX mode.

Thanks.
I did possibly go further than normal to make a comedic point, mad_coachman had a very good idea about what it could be and such. Any progress on your car or havent gotten to it? All been there for sure if so.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I'm 64...how old are you?
im a 23 year old version of one of these:
width=500

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners