2003 Buick LaSabre

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom
Hi everybody, I'm new to the group. Name is Ryan, from Ft. Wayne, IN. So I bought an '03 LaSabre for $2250 last week. Pretty clean for it's age. 2003 Buick LaSabre.jpg :cool:

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
Hi everybody, I'm new to the group. Name is Ryan, from Ft. Wayne, IN. So I bought an '03 LaSabre for $2250 last week. Pretty clean for it's age. View attachment 24305 :cool:
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Nice LeSabre! Congratulations. I never see them here in Florida anymore. Crazy. How's the interior?

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom
Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up. Nice LeSabre! Congratulations. I never see them here in Florida anymore. Crazy. How's the interior?
Sorry for the late reply. The inside is super clean and nice. Only the dash is popped up in front. Last owner had it off to replace switches and said it would not go back on right. Found 2 factory screws in the glove box that must go some were. I throw up some more inside pics when I get it back from my mechanic guy. 20200720_182751.jpg

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged)
You dont see... buick lesabres.... in florida..?

Florida is the retiree state.

Retirees are the only people who bought these new in huge segments.

They were working folk and recent retireee then.

And now the cars are owned by millenials as they sell them or find other vehicles or pass, etc.

But how long have you lived in florida and not see a buiick lesabre????

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.

Hopefully not serious, these were good engines.
My check eng light came on after I bought it. Hopefully it has to do with my brakes going out. In the shop now for all new lines and rear brakes. Costing me over a grand. I feel like i bought a money pit! 😡

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom
Update: Last night I found out that with parts and labor to replace all the brake lines, new shoes in the rear and new fuel filter I'm looking at over a grand in parts and labor. I payed $2,250 for the car last month knowing that a line was leaking and it needed rear brake shoes. Let me ask, did I get burnt buying this ride? Car Fax says it's value at "Fair" is $1,140. "Good" is $2,070. The car is nice other wise. I need honest feed back please. Thank you....

Attachments

• 20200725_194946.jpg
    20200725_194946.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 0
  • off to get fixed 1.jpg
    off to get fixed 1.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 0
  • off to get fixed 2.jpg
    off to get fixed 2.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
You did NOT get burnt. The car isnt valuable because its bad, its not valuable because there are so many of them and they are not new. Car values are a very rigged market.

Think of it like this, if you fix your brakes for this cost(just get the line repaired, do the shoes yourself! We can help you!) and the car has NO other issues like whatsoever, you have a very reliable, COMFORTABLE, spacious, and EFFICIENT vehicle for under 4k. Its also really clean, not rusty. THats big up where im from.

Now, you look for a newer car... say.. 2012, its 8 years old, it has a LOT of electronic equipment(somehow its not as well equipped as some of our cars, but ok), it has the same mileage, it has a transmission that tends to go out sooner, its got issue with dirty engine valves and oil consumption(our cars are known for not burning oil well passed 200k if maintained, like mine.) and honestly maybe its a tiny faster and more stylish, but its gonna cost you 6k+ and the problems you have are just gonna be down the road with the new one. Cleaning a car and being a responsible owner will keep them from rotting.

And, on top, issues with buick lesabres... we know them. All the big problems are known. its in extended-life, and they managed to come out with VERY few big problems and are big, comfortable cars that have modern safety features, get decent gas mpg, and countless people who know the car back of their hand. Any maintenace is cheaper, any repairs are cheaper, any insurance is CHEAPER(esp these cars, they are driven by people who had good driving records and pay their bills, so the default rate is lower.) and you really do it all for not too much.

I would say, yes, you overpaid for the car simply because of the brake line. Assuming the line wasnt rusted(have the underbody inspected for any other upcoming things) it was more than fair. KBB is a biased source that has incentives to 1) price your car lower than its worth 2) price older cars lower because they sell used and new cars, and that means trying to get you in something from Auto Trader.

So yes, compared to the 2012 anything, stick to lesabre. if you ever want to join the high roller club get yourself a park avenue ultra. its bigger interior and more fancy options interior wise and has a supercharger. otherwise its essentially your lesabre. same general design.

but i think you should keep the buick. keeping an old, good car running is better for the environment, your wallet, our community, and the future of everything. You not buying the new junk out there sends a message to car manufacturers that if they want copious amounts of your money they need to make a product that is worth copious amounts of money and that is a simple fact.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Just saying, no one remembered the girl in northern Wisconsin who rolled into high school in her mommys lincoln navigator, they remembered the little girl who drove an ugly boat that had a supercharger and could fix anything it ever had an issue with.

I didnt have the most hp or 0-60, but not many people wanted to fight a grandpa car that put you in your seat and had a screaming supercharger whine. moms navigator has turbolag and fake exhaust noise, just like daughters personality. taylors buick(not my current) had worn suspension bushings and torque steer and used 91 gas.

i think we all knew who walked out of that one.
(not me, i was in my buick)

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom
You did NOT get burnt. The car isnt valuable because its bad, its not valuable because there are so many of them and they are not new. Car values are a very rigged market.

Think of it like this, if you fix your brakes for this cost(just get the line repaired, do the shoes yourself! We can help you!) and the car has NO other issues like whatsoever, you have a very reliable, COMFORTABLE, spacious, and EFFICIENT vehicle for under 4k. Its also really clean, not rusty. THats big up where im from.

Now, you look for a newer car... say.. 2012, its 8 years old, it has a LOT of electronic equipment(somehow its not as well equipped as some of our cars, but ok), it has the same mileage, it has a transmission that tends to go out sooner, its got issue with dirty engine valves and oil consumption(our cars are known for not burning oil well passed 200k if maintained, like mine.) and honestly maybe its a tiny faster and more stylish, but its gonna cost you 6k+ and the problems you have are just gonna be down the road with the new one. Cleaning a car and being a responsible owner will keep them from rotting.

And, on top, issues with buick lesabres... we know them. All the big problems are known. its in extended-life, and they managed to come out with VERY few big problems and are big, comfortable cars that have modern safety features, get decent gas mpg, and countless people who know the car back of their hand. Any maintenace is cheaper, any repairs are cheaper, any insurance is CHEAPER(esp these cars, they are driven by people who had good driving records and pay their bills, so the default rate is lower.) and you really do it all for not too much.

I would say, yes, you overpaid for the car simply because of the brake line. Assuming the line wasnt rusted(have the underbody inspected for any other upcoming things) it was more than fair. KBB is a biased source that has incentives to 1) price your car lower than its worth 2) price older cars lower because they sell used and new cars, and that means trying to get you in something from Auto Trader.

So yes, compared to the 2012 anything, stick to lesabre. if you ever want to join the high roller club get yourself a park avenue ultra. its bigger interior and more fancy options interior wise and has a supercharger. otherwise its essentially your lesabre. same general design.

but i think you should keep the buick. keeping an old, good car running is better for the environment, your wallet, our community, and the future of everything. You not buying the new junk out there sends a message to car manufacturers that if they want copious amounts of your money they need to make a product that is worth copious amounts of money and that is a simple fact.

Thank you. Wow u really know your stuff. I just moved to Ft Wayne, IN 7 WEEKS ago. The brake lines are rusted and one broke. Your reply really got me thinking. I will be keeping her. 20200725_160319.jpg 20200725_160403.jpg 20200725_160428.jpg

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
glad to hear it. looks pretty clean in that engine bay, dusty tho. western car? Perhaps sat for a while? Id definitely replace all bad sections of line and have the fluid flushed. bad brake fluid can eat through those lines if it has water contamination.

i made sure to equip my car for water situations, it has not let me down.
Snapchat-860376036.jpg Snapchat-430861290.jpg

Ultra Ego

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra, 2003 LeSabre Limited; Previous: 2003 LeSabre Custom; 1998 Park Avenue
Welcome Ryan! You’ll find all you need to know about your LeSabre here on this forum. If you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, the info here will help you save money on any future repairs.

Sal is right. You don’t see a lot of older Buicks in Florida. I was puzzled by it too Here’s what happened: Many retirees were lifelong domestic car owners. When they went to update to a newer model in the mid 2000s, they found domestic manufacturers were shrinking the cars, cheapened the interiors, and the build quality had fallen. Couple that with crashed stock values, and they were very frustrated consumers. Toyota, and others, saw the opportunity, and began growing their models, making them more luxurious, and needing virtually nothing in the way of maintenance. Now, in Florida, I would guesstimate over 75% of the cars on the road are foreign.

When I drive my ‘03 LeSabre Limited around (in Florida), it’s not uncommon for me to have someone tell me they used to have one, and they regret ever selling it, because nothing offers the comfort, size and power of these cars.

I see nothing on the market now that tempts me to buy it. All I see, when I look at new cars, is complicated electronic nanny systems, that are expensive to repair.

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom

I picked her up today. Run's like a champ. $1,100 got me all new lines (metal ones) new drums and pads in the rear. new gas filter. The mech seems to think the 42,000 something mile are correct. He said for a midwestern car this old that is rust free on the bottom. I'm very happy with the car now. First time I really got to drive it. Gonna take it to work in a few. I'm from So Cal and been in IN. for a month and a half. Tonight were having a tornado warning. I'm freaking out as this is my first!!! lol. BTW, I really thank you for you input.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Enjoy the ride and you made a good investment even if it may need a little TLC. If you want a nice short trip head up to Auburn to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum, about 30 minute ride from Ft Wayne, nice trip and get some time in the new ride. Oh if you see a scarecrow or a tin man float by your window we call that Monday, welcome to the Midwest lol.

ryan909

Buick Ownership
2003 Lesabre Custom
Enjoy the ride and you made a good investment even if it may need a little TLC. If you want a nice short trip head up to Auburn to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum, about 30 minute ride from Ft Wayne, nice trip and get some time in the new ride. Oh if you see a scarecrow or a tin man float by your window we call that Monday, welcome to the Midwest lol.
Thanks for the tip. For the last month I've been stuck at home. So now I plan on checking the area. The Amish in there wagons tripped me out. Saw one at night with LEDS all on his ride. I thought it was the start of a parade. Big difference here then the west coast. I'm liking it

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I picked her up today. Run's like a champ. $1,100 got me all new lines (metal ones) new drums and pads in the rear. new gas filter. The mech seems to think the 42,000 something mile are correct. He said for a midwestern car this old that is rust free on the bottom. I'm very happy with the car now. First time I really got to drive it. Gonna take it to work in a few. I'm from So Cal and been in IN. for a month and a half. Tonight were having a tornado warning. I'm freaking out as this is my first!!! lol. BTW, I really thank you for you input.
No problem. LeSabre is not quite my kind of ride but the quality is still some of the best if not the best of gm at the time. Even Oldsmobile, my fav, had shittier plastic in the interior. But Buick had good plastics relatively. But the luxury and ride per $ was very very good you have a very reliable car not even 1/5 of the way into its life. If you keep it clean, don't let it rust, do all maintenance, you will have a very trouble free low cost of ownership car. Of course, it floats down the highway

Get your turbo buick badge right here!