2003 Buick LeSabre code reader

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick LeSabre
Hi, my car has been in the shop three times. First they just cleaned up parts. 2nd time they received code for general misfire. Changed all plugs and wires. One month later my problem is back. The check engine light is on. The car loses power and shakes terribly. I am not driving it. Last time I was told mechanic claimed he did not get code and cleared it and took it out for ten mins to make light comeback on. This is when I was told general misfire and plugs etc was done. Sorry this is long. I have to have it towed somewhere to have it at least looked at again before I give up on it. I know not to even attempt to drive it. My question is does anyone know if I can purchase my own code reader? I have seen them on Amazon but am not sure which one would read this car's codes. If anyone can post a link I'd appreciate it. 2003 Buick LeSabre. I don't have the exact reading but it is close to 134,000 miles. Thanks

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
It sounds like you may have a P0300 (random misfire) which can be caused by one bad coil, or the ignition control module (ICM). Scanners are widely available for an OBDII system and can be found for less than $200.00 at Harbor Freight. I uses a Matco (9001A) scanner for both OBDI & OBDII cars, but all you need is an OBDII scanner! http://blog.harborfreight.com/tag/automotive-tools/
Most auto part stores will read the codes for free. Get that info first, and report back.

Thread starter #3
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick LeSabre
Thanks. They have three. I guess the lowest price one is good enough?
The car did run but you can hear it, like hearing air. The car was silent before. The A/C did not seem to be working either anymore and supposedly he put in new liquid. Not sure if I should report him or not. The car before and after fix does not start. You have to start it like three times. I was told it's not the starter. When I asked what do I have to do to fix it so it starts with no issues I was told it's complicated. I have never experienced a bad place like this before. I am searching my area to try and find someone more credible. That is why I'd like the code reader to know what the codes are before having it towed somewhere.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
Has anyone checked the fuel pressure? Codes will point you in the right direction, but may not solve the problem, especially if you only change parts!
I was told it's complicated. I have never experienced a bad place like this before. I am searching my area to try and find someone more credible. That is why I'd like the code reader to know what the codes are before having it towed somewhere.

Thread starter #5
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick LeSabre
Yes, I was told the pressure is normal. It was a module that needed to be replaced. I am being told moisture could be the reason the car starts the way it does. I park on a dirt driveway. Not sure about the explanation. I was parked on downward angle and now I park as level as possible and put on tarp near windshield.

Daemyen

Buick Ownership
2004 LeSabre
I have a cheap big banana scanner. I can't find it on Amazon anymore, but I only paid about $40. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does pull and clear my codes...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.