• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2003 Buick park avenue base

Jopz

Buick Ownership
Hello, site
I just purchased my 03 P.A base model, it needed freon,but now i notice only the passenger side blows cold, driver side is like warm. Can anyone point me in the next steps ,to fix this problem? Thanks, Jopz

Alan 55

Buick Newbie
Florida
Buick Ownership
2001 Buick Park Avenue, previously owned 1997 Park Avenue
Congrats on your purchase of the 03 Park Avenue! The symptoms that you describe is that of a system that does not have the correct amount of Freon. The most accurate method of correcting this is to take it to a shop that offers AC service. They will remove the Freon and vacuum down the system to remove any moisture that may present. Now the most important step of weighing in the exact amount of Freon in ounces that the manufacturer call for.
If this does not sound good to you there are some do-it-yourself methods that may work but not have the accuracy by the AC shop method. If you decide to use the small cans of refrigerant, please know that it is very easy to overfill the system which causes cooling problems. It will be necessary to add a tiny amount of refrigerant at a time with a thermometer in both the driver and passenger vents. By watching the thermometers as you add a small amount of refrigerant at a time you will hopefully see an equalization of temperatures.

Jopz

Buick Ownership
Congrats on your purchase of the 03 Park Avenue! The symptoms that you describe is that of a system that does not have the correct amount of Freon. The most accurate method of correcting this is to take it to a shop that offers AC service. They will remove the Freon and vacuum down the system to remove any moisture that may present. Now the most important step of weighing in the exact amount of Freon in ounces that the manufacturer call for.
If this does not sound good to you there are some do-it-yourself methods that may work but not have the accuracy by the AC shop method. If you decide to use the small cans of refrigerant, please know that it is very easy to overfill the system which causes cooling problems. It will be necessary to add a tiny amount of refrigerant at a time with a thermometer in both the driver and passenger vents. By watching the thermometers as you add a small amount of refrigerant at a time you will hopefully see an equalization of temperatures.
Thanks, well i dont think they had any freon if so very little, so i had put a big can of ac pro, when noticed warm driver,cold passenger.

Drakito

Southern Utah
Buick Ownership
2003 Park Avenue Ultra
The Park Avenue has a dual climate system. The passenger and driver sides can be different temps. The main controller does the driver side. It will also do the passenger side if the passenger control slider is in the center, if it is not, the passenger control overides it and goes to the temp selected. In 2003, the passenger control is over by the passenger door and is a simple slider.
What you described is a common problem with the blend door actuators. There are several in the PA, 1 for driver side temperature, 1 for passenger side temperature, 1 for air direction, and 1 for re circulation. The actuator can be stuck, out of alignment, or can be burned out. Either way you will need to unmount it. I haven't had to do mine YET, but there are multiple posts on this forum about how to do so.
Here is just the first I found on a search. door actuator install

Jopz

Buick Ownership
The Park Avenue has a dual climate system. The passenger and driver sides can be different temps. The main controller does the driver side. It will also do the passenger side if the passenger control slider is in the center, if it is not, the passenger control overides it and goes to the temp selected. In 2003, the passenger control is over by the passenger door and is a simple slider.
What you described is a common problem with the blend door actuators. There are several in the PA, 1 for driver side temperature, 1 for passenger side temperature, 1 for air direction, and 1 for re circulation. The actuator can be stuck, out of alignment, or can be burned out. Either way you will need to unmount it. I haven't had to do mine YET, but there are multiple posts on this forum about how to do so.
Here is just the first I found on a search. door actuator install
Appreciate your help