2003 Buick Regal Heater Core Gettting Clogged Multiple Times

ohiobuick86

Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Regal, 1999 Buick Century
Hello,

I have a 2003 Buick Regal with 64k Miles. Over the summer we had to replace the head gasket and water pump. This repair has been done but ever since there seems to be an issue that has shown up with the heater core constantly needing flushed due to getting clogged. It is now January 10,2019 and this is the 3rd flush since Thanksgiving!

It will work as expected for a week or two then we will get no heat or at the very least heat only when we apply the gas/throttle. Once its flushed, the heat will work again...then stop.

Has anyone had this issue or should the flushing continue? Heater core replacement? Any help will be appreciated.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As no contamination can happen to your system from the outside it may still have material floating around inside. Putting new parts in may be a temporary fix but if the system still has any junk floating around the new heater core can also become plugged.

If at some point a "mechanic in a can" had been used to resolve a leak in the cooling system it can gum up a system. Number of flushing (?) until it's cleared out. I'll assume that it's has had the bleeding / burping done to remove any air, if not they may be something to consider.

ohiobuick86

Buick Ownership
Thanks for the reply. And that was my thought about the new heater core. It obviously functions because flushing results in heat and I could feel some after the second flush when applying the gas. So as you said, whats to prevent a new one from clogging up?

I dont believe any sort of "mechanic in a can" was used for leaky coolant. Replaced some hoses etc. And was a shop we used forever. With 64k miles I want to get it solved cause there should be life left in her.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
The only a few items that can cause lack of heat at the core are blockage, air or thermostat so unlike other systems it's pretty basic.

Another area that comes up is on the blend doors not functioning properly, which it's a little more noticeable during the winter I guess.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
has mixing of different anti freeze types occurred, Dex-Cool with another incompatible antifreeze?

ohiobuick86

Buick Ownership
has mixing of different anti freeze types occurred, Dex-Cool with another incompatible antifreeze?
Hi
No but I know what you mean. Pretty rare if any that I had to add coolant and when I did I used the universal kind. Now between the flushes it just regular antifreeze (no Dex cool) the shop put in there.

Got the car back today, radiator was flushed, debris removed from heater core and new thermostat. We'll see. As I said, not sure cause a flush would allow it to work again then stop.

ohiobuick86

Buick Ownership
The only a few items that can cause lack of heat at the core are blockage, air or thermostat so unlike other systems it's pretty basic.

Another area that comes up is on the blend doors not functioning properly, which it's a little more noticeable during the winter I guess.
Hi,
So the car was at the shop when I posted this. Was returned with a flush, removed debris from heater core and a new thermostat. Getting heat now but like I said, issue would take a week or two to pop up again. We'll see.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Thanks for the follow up, seems like they covered all the logical steps now it's hurry up and wait LOL. I hope that takes care of it for you.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
It sounds like someone may have added some terrible stop leak pellets to the cooling system in the past, which will eventualy clog the heater core and radiator flow.

g_364404

It sounds like someone may have added some terrible stop leak pellets to the cooling system in the past, which will eventualy clog the heater core and radiator flow.
That or there was just so much junk in there from corrosion/gasket issue it all settles. I have owned the car sine 2012 and it only had 18k miles on it when I got it. Idk. I was given the car back with a radiator flush, new thermostate and said they cleaned heater core

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.