2003 Custom Lesabre wasting about 1 qt of oil every 500 miles

ilir9b

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 2003 Lesabre with about 138k miles is wasting a little more oil than what the manufacturer's guidelines allow for. I know it's supposed to burn about 1 qt every 1000 miles but this one is killing a quart about every 500 miles.
I've replaced the PCV valve, I regularly change the oil, filters and never speed or rev the engine. I don't see any oil dripping on the street where I park either. I know the car was previously owned by a guy who didn't really take care of it. Is there an easy fix or do I need to overhaul the engine?
As always, thanks for your invaluable advice!

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Temporary fixes like going up in oil weight 10W-30, high milage may slow it down a bit that's all. Additives, basically heavy weight oils seems like a good idea, but in the long run may cause more problems than fix, thats unless you are going to sell it, just go ask any shady used car dealer about "mechanic in a can" LOL.

Considering that you can't see it coming out, this would be the valve covers, oil pan, intake, seals, etc it must be going in. It's in range of kinda being acceptable for the milage and poor previous mantanance, it's not great but ok considering.

Repairs may be lower and upper intake manifold gaskets, valve guide seals and or heads reworked. If it's running ok and you have to add 3 quarts in every 3000 miles, the add oil may be the least expensive route.

I have a 180k on a 95 lesabre and my fix for the same problem is to watch for sales on cases of oil lol. It's a decision that only you can make if it's worth it or not, best of luck.

ilir9b

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank you, very much!
The biggest problem is that I live in NYC and I don't have a driveway or garage. Not sure I can do a gasket job or intake manifold replacement out in the street.
Has anybody done that?

N1Space

Buick Newbie
Engine, Bay
Buick Ownership
2003 Buick Lesabre Limited Celebration Ed, 2001 Buick Park Ave Ultra, 2016 Buck Lacrosse AWD P2
Thank you, very much!
The biggest problem is that I live in NYC and I don't have a driveway or garage. Not sure I can do a gasket job or intake manifold replacement out in the street.
Has anybody done that?
I believe you can! As long your not throwing oil and trash out in the street! Which I'm sure you're not!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.