2004 Le Sabre, AC quits blowing cold occasionally

Nasty Al

Buick Ownership
2004 Le Sabre
The AC compressor and condenser were replaced about 2 years ago. No Issues till recently. Blows super cold air, BUT occasionally and it seams to be getting more frequent recently it warms up. Makes no difference what I do with the dash controls off and on or automatic , or up or down changes nothing. But I found if I stop and turn the ignition completely off and then back on it again blows cold. Anybody run into this? Any Ideas??

MelsRegal

Staff member
Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Have you used a set of gauges to determine if you are low on refrigerant?

Nasty Al

Buick Ownership
2004 Le Sabre
Does the compressor turn off when it gets warm?
My wife uses this car majority of the time. It doesn't do it that often, she's noticed it several times in the last few months. I don't use it that often but it did do it for me twice in the last two weeks. I'll try to use it more and I'll check next time to see if the compressor is off or on. Thank you

Nasty Al

Buick Ownership
2004 Le Sabre
Have you used a set of gauges to determine if you are low on refrigerant?
I don't have gauges here at this house, I thought it worked so well most of the time that the charge would be okay, but I could have it tested I guess, if that sounds like it may be the problem.

Homer Jay

New York
Buick Ownership
2001 LeSabre
Checking high and low pressure readings is helpful when diagnosing a/c problems.
It you discover the a/c compressor is intermittently cycling off, check the connection at the compressor and swap or replace the compressor relay. Sometimes relays malfunction when they get hot.
Hopefully it's not a bad magnetic clutch.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Check your control settings, sounds dumb I know, but if it set for recirculation or outside fresh it will make a difference on the temperature you feel just a FYI.

Nasty Al

Buick Ownership
2004 Le Sabre
Check your control settings, sounds dumb I know, but if it set for recirculation or outside fresh it will make a difference on the temperature you feel just a FYI.
Yes, I tried all that, thank you though!

LeSabre James

Buick Ownership
LeSabre
Often the air blend doors on the automatic climate control go bad. If you turn off the radio and fan and listen carefully if you hear a "tick, tick, tick" sound from the dash area, this is usually one of the stepper motors that needs to be replaced. A COMMON problem on may GM models. My GMC truck had this same exact problem and I believe my fathers 2005 LeSabre has the same problem at the moment. Often turning off the car restarting will clear the problem for a short period.

The steppers motors look like this, there are MANY different part numbers, so you really need to match up the correct part.

DO NOT randomly purchase the above part unless you know it is the exact one you need. Many times there are 3-4 of these on vehicles with Auto Climate control and often they are separate part numbers depending on if it is a fresh air or temperature blend stepper motor.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!