2004 Park Avenue hot in the city

ParkAveCore

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Park Avenue
View attachment 38737 View attachment 38736 View attachment 38739 View attachment 38738

does your temp readout(digital) kinda jive with mine here? The car SHOULD be able to get that far with a needle, the ones in mine have to be understood as not straight on shots, so they are more to the right of center than youd realize. To me, sounds like cap, thermostat, plugged line between reservoir and radiator, and condition of coolant should be inspected.

See the orange fanta? Dex cool when nice and clean mmmmmm thats what you want to see not the previous pic(water and the scale that existed in there for years)
Something to note is the readout on the IPC And the gauge will both not match the live data of a scan tool
A scan tool will likely go to higher numbers amd change all the time. Thats intentioned to make the cluster "smooth" it out since it only

Oh its precise. ish. the upper temp range the resistance values get some wider gaps just llike when really cold. the max temp, or close

Does your car have a IPC with the slew of buttons on the left side or do you have only 2 buttons? to the left of the IPC that is.
Thanks sooo much for the detailed reply. I just got the car today and while I looked over it for about two hours, I
View attachment 38737 View attachment 38736 View attachment 38739 View attachment 38738

does your temp readout(digital) kinda jive with mine here? The car SHOULD be able to get that far with a needle, the ones in mine have to be understood as not straight on shots, so they are more to the right of center than youd realize. To me, sounds like cap, thermostat, plugged line between reservoir and radiator, and condition of coolant should be inspected.

See the orange fanta? Dex cool when nice and clean mmmmmm thats what you want to see not the previous pic(water and the scale that existed in there for years)
Something to note is the readout on the IPC And the gauge will both not match the live data of a scan tool
A scan tool will likely go to higher numbers amd change all the time. Thats intentioned to make the cluster "smooth" it out since it only

Oh its precise. ish. the upper temp range the resistance values get some wider gaps just llike when really cold. the max temp, or close

Does your car have a IPC with the slew of buttons on the left side or do you have only 2 buttons? to the left of the IPC that is

Does your car have a IPC with the slew of buttons on the left side or do you have only 2 buttons? to the left of the IPC that is

Does your car have a IPC with the slew of buttons on the left side or do you have only 2 buttons? to the left of the IPC that is.
thanks sooooo much for the detailed reply. Look at that fuel economy and low rpm’s! Love these cars. I wish I had the digital coolant temp readout!
I only have the two buttons

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Thanks sooo much for the detailed reply. I just got the car today and while I looked over it for about two hours, I

I would inspect the sensor to make sure its fully seated and the seal isnt rolled up, make sure pins are clean, and that the connector is not pulled tight when its all ready to go as they say, potential problems could occur is why I say. any pics of underhood?

1659251519587.png
this is a supercharged engine but the sensor is the same and the wiring should overall do the same thing(it goes to PCM)
I had tight wires. ignore the red box too lol

ParkAveCore

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Park Avenue
I would inspect the sensor to make sure its fully seated and the seal isnt rolled up, make sure pins are clean, and that the connector is not pulled tight when its all ready to go as they say, potential problems could occur is why I say. any pics of underhood?

View attachment 38740
this is a supercharged engine but the sensor is the same and the wiring should overall do the same thing(it goes to PCM)
I had tight wires. ignore the red box too lol
That’s a great shot I’ll check it asap thank you!! Just got the car a today so no shots yet sorry!

ParkAveCore

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Park Avenue

Hey Mars, I have been googling a much less important issue but I still can’t find the info.
This Park Ave has a blue landau roof. Soft fabric top. Was that a possibility as an available option? Thanks!!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
That’s a great shot I’ll check it asap thank you!! Just got the car a today so no shots yet sorry!
I would say that basically when you get underhood, look at the cooling system for the dexcool color. if its clean and up to the level on the reservoir, then I would look at air bleeding (i can help with that process if you need to) or do the thermostat with a 195 NOT a "failsafe" kind of thermostat.
There is a slight chance the temp issues mentioned is just a failed failsafe thermostat lol...
If its dirty, then thats where I say get dirty and things get the full treatment.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Hey Mars, I have been googling a much less important issue but I still can’t find the info.
This Park Ave has a blue landau roof. Soft fabric top. Was that a possibility as an available option? Thanks!!
Factory cars were created and then sent to be fitted with the tops

ParkAveCore

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Park Avenue
I would say that basically when you get underhood, look at the cooling system for the dexcool color. if its clean and up to the level on the reservoir, then I would look at air bleeding (i can help with that process if you need to) or do the thermostat with a 195 NOT a "failsafe" kind of thermostat.
There is a slight chance the temp issues mentioned is just a failed failsafe thermostat lol...
If its dirty, then thats where I say get dirty and things get the full treatment.
Great advice, I’m hoping it’s clean! You’ve helped so much but if it’s cool with you, I’ll reply some pics tomorrow when the sun is up

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
or do the thermostat with a 195 NOT a "failsafe" kind of thermostat.
I don't think the OP ever mentioned if he/she ever replaced that with a Stant failsafe thermostat yet?

Last edited:

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I don't think the OP ever mentioned if he/she ever replaced that with a Stant failsafe thermostat yet?
No the OP just got the car, I was just mentioning that one of those could fail in a partial open and hoter while city and then cooling too much down while cruising is entirely possible. I was trying to demonstrate that since he doesnt have much for "history" to it, it could be anything as minor as that or any other possible things. Hence he will be getting us some photos in the daytime and sharing some more.
There is also the possibility hes just concerned about gm's choice on where "operating temp" is on the gauge lol!

02LTD

Long Island NY
Buick Ownership
2002 Lesabre Limited
Check the temperature readout in your Driver Info Center. As long as you don’t get over 227 degrees it’s operating normally. Once the temp hits 225 both cooling fans should quickly cool things down to 200 or so.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Check the temperature readout in your Driver Info Center. As long as you don’t get over 227 degrees it’s operating normally. Once the temp hits 225 both cooling fans should quickly cool things down to 200 or so.
This park avenue in question has no readout of the temperature as its a base-level cluster which has the needle do-dad but just a trip meter and odometer

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
My bad. I figured since it was a PA that the DIC would be standard equipment.😳
nope, you dont get a coolant level warning, not even a washer fluid warning. its cruel in a park avenue. The parts for those cars are insanly rarer because they are just things with less value to them and they are rarer LOl
The upgraded cluster was a prerequistie to many options, like traction control im pretty sure

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
Let me try to clarify what a Fail Safe thermostat does if it ever fails. It will never fail in the closed position like the OEM! If if ever fails, it will revert to the wide open position and allow full flow through the passage. That usually does not cause overheating.

Last edited:
Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Let me try to clarify what a Fail Safe thermostat does if it ever fails. It will never fail in the closed position like the OEM! If ever fails, it will revert to the wide open position and allow full flow through the passage. That usually does not cause overheating.
I mean, are you specifying stant here specifically because there are a shocking amount of "fail safe" thermostats that are absolute junk, and I am going to guess they are probably made by the same vendor and then private labeled to the parts stores. so when I speak about them, Im using parts master (oreillies) as my experience and countless others have been unlucky to have failure issues with them that are either just failure after short time, failure closed(Overheat) or other.
I got that thermostat back in high school to put in my f150. wasnt a good choice,but neither was the thermostat housing but on hand is on hand lol.

There is, however, something I have done unknowingly on a 3800 engine that only applies to post 98 engines have the offset thermostat which requires to be placed correctly or else have issue. (same difference as when it went from a flange gasket on the housing to the o ring around the thermostat ring)
The thermostat housing on a 99+ will have fitment issues with a thermostat that is either not the right one or is turned wrong, and I managed to get a housing down nicely while it partially caved in on the thermostat, I still have it in my shed lol, but it crushed the part that spans the diameter and the needle thing goes into, heres a pic:
1659340322439.png
Basically crushed it toward one way and that was a oopsie but its human error that is always possible at play Either that or It was dropped and I was not very observant putting it in LOL
Anyway, including that pic for the part number if OP ends up needing it. But one thing that could go for a change any way for age is the ol rad cap. Heres the rad cap for a 2004:
1659340271636.png

HotZ28

Full Member Since 2005
SE
Buick Ownership
Yes, I am talking about the Stant thermostat and if it ever fails, it fails in the wide open position, never closed like some others do. If the The O-ring is properly placed on the thermostat, that is all you all you need to do! That will prevent any coolant leaks from the housing & no housing gasket would be required with that procedure.

02LTD

Long Island NY
Buick Ownership
2002 Lesabre Limited
From what the OP describes his gauge reading it is within normal range.
A new 195 degree thermostat is inexpensive and would give you peace of mind. Just do it. It only takes a few minutes.😉