• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2004 rendezvous no power

graniteman

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just bought a 2004 rendezvous with a 3.1.starts and Idles great. If you slowly accelerate it's fine. If you step on it, it bog down no power cough spit and sputter. Let off on the gas and it runs fine. no codes. It looks like the catalytic convertor has been replaced I replaced the idle air valve. no change. any ideas?

connecticut

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have this problem as well with an 03 changed fuel filter and plug wires seemed to have gone away but the stutter is back :eek:

connecticut

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Cyl 2 misfire but I reset the ecu by holding battery terminals together for ten seconds then after idling several minutes did the code appear

Khaos

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
also having this problem in our 2004 with the 3.4

we drilled hole in converter... didnt help
changed fuel filter........seemed to run a little better but still does it
changed wires, plugs, and coil packs....... still does it

I really need new bearings in the back is this something that could cause the stutter problem? sorry to hi-jack your thread but sounds like we need the same thing

Khaos

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Follow up............
The problem was the rear hub assembly...it put the vehicle in limp mode. I changed both rear hub assembly and it was a instant fix. all lights and problems went away, no longer cuts out when I get to certain RPM.

ekeppel

Buick Ownership
2004 Rendezvous
An ancient thread, but helpful none-the-less. Thank you for that clue Khaos!

On my wife's 2004 Rendezvous, I had a similar problem with lack of power / dropping out on acceleration, also an intermittent AWD disable / ABS lights on. The wheel bearings were loud anyway, so I replaced them all, but the problem persisted. Next, I started looking at the ABS wiring harnesses. I replaced both front harnesses, and while I did find a broken wire while doing so, replacing the harness didn't fix the issue.

Moving to the rear of the car, I discovered a bad ABS harness connector on the rear driver's side. The connections in one of the female connectors were much deeper inside the housing than they should have been. As a result, when I tested the connector with a multi-meter, it tested good, but was not actually making contact with the wheel hub's male connector when installed. I cut the bad end off and put a new connector on it, which fixed everything. Not only are the AWD Disable / ABS lights gone, but the car now accelerates again without dropping out.

I've seen folks say that an ABS issue shouldn't send the car into limp-home mode, but just as Khaos said above, that is exactly what can happen.

Last edited:

Jmoon

Buick Ownership
Riviera. Lucern
Im currently trying to fix an 05 with this issue loss of power abs awd disable but my veh accellerates properly until the engine warms up then goes to limp. Anyone else have the same that was fixed by ty he bearings/ abs connectors. Ive changed thermostat and temp sensor now the temp guage seems to be worki g properly but still cuts out once warmed up. Only engine code that came up was misfire on cyl 3

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus
If you have a constant misfire, you could start with a basic tune up. GM and misfires are a bad combo. If you run an engine long enough, it will clog the catalytic converter, and as it warms up, it gets worse. As for the ABS, it could be a wheel bearing, connector, C305 connector, a bad ABS module... And a few more things. You would need a diagnostic that can read ABS codes to get more info. A regular scanner will NOT read ABS codes.

Jmoon

Buick Ownership
Riviera. Lucern
Turned out that the cat conv was good. Had been changed already but the muffler was plugged still having prob with higher rpm cutout. Forced it through the cutout a couple times and it would get past it but then sputter and backfire. No new codes were generated. I got it up to 70 nicely and seemed to run good under an easy accelleration. But when i had to get more rpm. (Uphill or passing) it had problems. With the backfire im wondering about the valve timing under load but havent had any luck yet in finding anything about that. Does this 3.4 have an advance on the timing (vaccuum,electric- computer controlled) during higher load accelleration

Jmoon

Buick Ownership
Riviera. Lucern
2 of the coils have been replaced at some point but i dont know the history of the veh. Bought it 2 weeks ago from papereork i found in veh 4th owner in the past year. I did swap 2 of the coils to check the 3rd cylinder and the prob didnt move with the coils do i need to remove the coils to have them tested

TollKeeper

Brighton, CO
Buick Ownership
2005 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus
It could be the ICM (Ignition Control Module) that sits right under the coils too. Weak coils will cause a misfire at any RPM, but it will get much more noticeable at higher RPM's

Turbo Buick Badge