• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2005 Buick LaCrosse 3.8 Water pump leak after install

Jrio7

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick lacrosse
OP. you have a few concerning things
1) what pump and gasket did you use? a ac delco with metal frame? did you clean the old one off and make the surface clean/true no nicks
2) what did you do about thread sealant
3) what ddi you do about the two different length bolts becauuse you can put the wrong ones in the wrong spot
4)
Why did you use sealer? Did you torque and let it set up and cure as the instructions require?

did you use SAE too when wrenching on the water pump bolts and pulley, those are SAE not metric. Same with some engine upper end stuff. Mostly else is metric
and is your hose fully seated with the ORIGINAL TYPE constant tension clamp and did you put the spring back in it and also clean the sealing edge of the hose on the timing cover and the inside of the hose?your stream looks like it could be shoot from under the hose from scale buildup jacking up the rubber shooting out

View attachment 35226 View attachment 35227
also, theres a joke there(With what i last said)
I used a cheap O’Reilly water pump with the paper gasket that comes with it. It wasn’t an ac Delco with metal gasket . I did scrape the mating surface of the engine block . I did use thread sealant. I didn’t know the 05 Buick LaCrosse 3.8 had two different size bolts . I measured and they all measured the same to me so let me know if there is two different size bolts. I used sealer because one of my mechanic friends said to use it and people on other threads recommend that also. I let it cure about 2-3 hours before adding coolant. What do you recommend ? I’m doing the job all over again for the third time. Hopefully this time is the last time .

Jrio7

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick lacrosse
If you don't know exactly where the leak is coming from (that's a big leak), you are wasting your time and money.
It is from the water pump gasket . I could see it with my own eyes as we speak

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
You should get a better gasket. I used a Fel-Pro with the Rubber seals built in. No gasket sealer needed and absolutely no leaks.

Jrio7

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick lacrosse
You should get a better gasket. I used a Fel-Pro with the Rubber seals built in. No gasket sealer needed and absolutely no leaks.
Do you have a part number for that felpro gasket ? I’ve been using the paper gasket with gasket maker on both sides of the gasket. Still leaking .

Mad_Coachman

Long Island
Buick Ownership
2002 LeSabre Limited
I used an AC Delco Professional water pump but if you want a design that is closer to the OEM the GMB brand would be a more cost effective solution.
The main difference is the design of the impeller.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Also make sure you use thread sealer on the bolts as some of them go through the water jackets.
The sealer is good idea for keeping the torque down but he needs to make sure to put the right bolts in the right holes too, also, yes the rubber on metal gaskets are very good mine is an ac delco. I cleaned off my engine and the gasket was even kinked from falling and something sat on top it on one corner, i bent it back, dusted off, put the pump on and properly torqued. still leak free :)

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
--------Small Bolts - 1/4-20 x 1.7 1.03 thread (loctite, the proper kind, or thread sealer would not hurt these but the large ones pass through water jacket)
--------Large Bolts - 5/16-18 x 3.07 w/ Sealer

Jrio7

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick lacrosse
The sealer is good idea for keeping the torque down but he needs to make sure to put the right bolts in the right holes too, also, yes the rubber on metal gaskets are very good mine is an ac delco. I cleaned off my engine and the gasket was even kinked from falling and something sat on top it on one corner, i bent it back, dusted off, put the pump on and properly torqued. still leak free :)
I looked at the bolts and they all seem the same size.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
Inked195b27846d2424900deefa5d112f97d9_LI.jpg
879e31e7eb87d29fe381977e8cdf305e.png

hopefully this helps

Blue x get the sealer For sure, but you have probably ruined the threads of your small ones. We need to see the extent of the damage.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
there is a kit that can be boguht online or in person(may need to wait for it to come in on truck, early in morning should get by evening)

That has the bolts all in it and the ones for the pulley, 3/8 ones prone to stripping, too! Inkedb17b3dabc065a845ac50c72cc4780127_LI.jpg

Jrio7

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick lacrosse
If all of your bolts are the same length then someone has been in there already. :rolleyes:
Ok let me make a correction there lol it was early in the am when I replied but only 4 which are the larger bolts are the same size and the other are the smaller 4 bolts. Gonna give it a try today again with the metal felpro gasket and a GMB water pump I got . Not sure if I should put gasket sealant this time since the other 2 times I’ve done it on the paper gasket and it failed both times. What do y’all recommend ? I bought this Right Stuff gasket maker (in the picture below) would this work as a sealer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 2

Jrio7

Buick Ownership
2005 Buick lacrosse
Ok let me make a correction there lol it was early in the am when I replied but only 4 which are the larger bolts are the same size and the other are the smaller 4 bolts. Gonna give it a try today again with the metal felpro gasket and a GMB water pump I got . Not sure if I should put gasket sealant this time since the other 2 times I’ve done it on the paper gasket and it failed both times. What do y’all recommend ? I bought this Right Stuff gasket maker (in the picture below) would this work as a sealer?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 1