• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2005 LeSabre charging/battery issue/starting issue help?

dazednconfuzed

Buick Ownership
2005 Lesabre
Earlier this year I bought a used 2005 LeSabre with 126,000 miles. It had this problem when I bought it, but it has gotten a lot worse since.
Sometimes when I try to start it, it acts like the battery is super low. (cranking momentarily bogs down, headlights go super dim, etc.) Once it is started, the charging system runs at 15.1 volts. (I took the alternator to Napa and it tested bad so I replaced it, but same issue with the new one installed.) The voltage seems to fluctuate with how warm the engine bay is - once the engine is warm and I'm parked or at a stoplight, or driving slowly, it stays at 14.7, but at highway speeds it creeps back up to 15.0.

It also has a brand new Interstate battery and I had that tested to make sure it wasn't part of the issue.

I'm kind of lost at this point. This car has another weird problem - it starts hard and I can't really figure out why. I've ignored it up until today when I got stuck at the gas station because the car would just crank when i hit the key. It acted like it was trying to start but never caught, until i hit the gas pedal. Which stumps me cause it's EFI.

If anyone knows about this or could help that would be so awesome. I love this car and it would be even better without these issues.
Thanks

dazednconfuzed

Buick Ownership
2005 Lesabre

dazednconfuzed

Buick Ownership
2005 Lesabre
Followed your advice and cleaned up the ground cable connections. It hasn't bogged down while starting since, but the charging system still is running high.

I also cleaned the IAC with carb cleaner. Didn't seem to do much but I am going to change the spark plugs before I say it's a serious problem.

Pedal Commander