• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2006 Lucerne CXS - Parasitic Drain / Constant Dead Battery

pcmos

3.8L S/C Member
Gilbert, Arizona
Buick Ownership
Buick LeSabre and Buick Lucerne
After tearing down the terminal connections under the back seat of my 2006 Lucerne CXS I've performed every measurement of resistance I can think to perform and found nothing remarkable. Yet when I leave my Lucerne anyplace for more than two or three days I might as well roll the dice as to whether it will start. Airport parking lots are usually impossible because if I leave on a trip for more than a couple days I know I'll return to a dead car. At least I get to make another jab at Buick on Facebook where my friends follow the latest in my saga owning the worst car on the planet. Has anyone else had this problem with their Lucerne, if so, what did you do?

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
Neighbor across the road has a Cadillac DTS, similar car, and he has that problem for over a year. The dealer simply cannot find it. I see it parked for days and then the tow truck comes. Sorry, no help, but if I see him today, I will ask if there are anythings the dealer told him to check.

Texas Jim

Fort Worth TX
Buick Ownership
2006 Cadillac DTS Performance Sedan
If you leave ANYTHING plugged into the cigarette lighter ports or in the power point under the drivers seat... It can cause the car not to go to sleep after the normal 10 minutes.
By it staying awake... it will drain the battery.

Not all of them will do this.. just some of them.

Mine does it too.
I have a Cadillac DTS... cousin of the Lucerne.

pcmos

3.8L S/C Member
Gilbert, Arizona
Buick Ownership
The last time I left the car at the airport lot I pulled a bunch of the accessory power fuses. I think I got pretty much everything, including all of the accessory power ports. When I returned, the car turned over but it was very very sluggish. Unfortunately the test was inconclusive. It's a very difficult thing to test because I don't really have the ability to let the car sit unless I'm traveling. Surely there must be something specific that is draining it down... unless I just have a crummy battery. Interestingly enough the former owner installed an Interstate battery. Perhaps that was their attempt to solve the same problem.

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
We had the same problem with 2006 Buick Lucerne. GM dealership says they traced it back to the radio. Wanted $600 for new radio, so we said no...we'll do without radio for now. While cleaning car one day, I noticed a static sound coming from back rear speaker. Radio fuses had been removed, so it wasn't the radio. Pulled Onstar fuses and noise stopped. Left those fuses out and haven't had problem since.

Last edited:

pcmos

3.8L S/C Member
Gilbert, Arizona
Buick Ownership
That's an interesting observation... Maybe I'll give that a shot if I ever see the car again. I've got some electrical gremlin someplace that keeps tripping communication errors. I'm guessing one of the data lines is shorting to ground someplace. They routed harnesses around sharp edges all over the car. Doesn't much matter now though my 4.6L DeathStar engine blew up so the car is pretty much dead meat anyway. 108K miles with 6k left on the loan. Lovely.

bigsky

5.7L LT1 Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Montana
Buick Ownership
97 PA (salvage 185k), 99 PA (sold-now 170k), 2K PA (sold-now over 200k), 03 PAU 175k, 04 PAU
I have read other reports of the OnStar module causing a battery drain.

The fix: Replace the OnStar Module.

G-576957

Just pull the onstar fuses

Pedal Commander