• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2006 Lucerne Engine shuts off while on hwy.

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
This has happened 4 times in the last week. I will be driving and the engine just shuts down. Steering wheel locks up...foot on gas pedal, but going nowhere. Twice I got it to the side of the road, and it starts right back up again. Twice I was on the Interstate and it does the same thing...just goes dead like it's getting no gas. While on the Interstate, I put it into Neutral and it started back up. Twice the door locks went up and down. The lights went off one time. I read somewhere online that it could be the fuel switch relay (?). Took it to the local dealer....he, of course, had never seen this problem before. Can't get to it until tomorrow. Could it be the fuel pump...or fuel filter? Any ideas??

polarzak

Buick Ownership
Ex-Lucerne Owner, Now loving two Chrysler 300s.
I had a very similar problem with an older Pontiac, and it turned out to be the fuel filter. I guess the pump forcing the fuel through to a point where the filers choked off, and the when the car shut off, the pressure was released, and fuel could flow again until it go clogged again. Yours sound more electrical.
It could be the fuel pump. It could be the module (PCM) shutting off the fuel supply for some reason or another. Suspect, because your locks, locked and unlocked, and lights turned off.. Difficult to diagnose. Good luck.

chuck21401

Annapolis, MD
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne CXS
I'm living through problems with the fuel pump relay and fuse box on my Lucerene, and others have had similar problems.

With your situation it seems odd that the engine would cut out at speed, but then restart. If the relay is blown I don't think you'd be able to restart. Loose connection maybe?

Let us know what the dealer finds.

Last edited:

Texas Jim

Fort Worth TX
Buick Ownership
2006 Cadillac DTS Performance Sedan
Some of the older Northstars had issues with the crankshaft sensors that would cause it to just randomly die... but immediately restart.

Might be something to check into.
They will set a code in the computer, but will NOT turn on the SERVICE SOON light on the dash.

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Tricia - Back on October 4, 2012, I posted re: 2006 Lucerne Engine shuts off while on hwy. I still have this problem. It won't happen for a while, and then again, it happens 4-5 times a day. Then nothing for a while. Yesterday, it cut off 5 times within 30 min on a very busy highway with a lot of construction. I just took a 400 mile trip from Florida to Alabama and it didn't happen the first time (mainly Interstate driving).

Seems to happen at lower speeds...although it has happened twice on the Interstate. Just loses power like it's coasting...I can press accelerator and nothing happens. While still driving on the highway, I put the car in neutral and restart it....it starts right up. I feel as though I have to always drive in the outside lane should it happen again. Doors unlock and lock just as it happens. I finally took it to local dealership (first time I took it, they wanted to keep it and drive it for a while. I couldn't do that because I need the car daily. And it can go for a month and nothing happens). Report says "Tech inspected vehicle and found 21 codes in system. Some were related to MAP sensor (?) and thermostat (engine), but they have all passed since last fail. No current codes in system at this time. Can not tell why vehicle has stalled. Test drove vehicle for several miles. Could not get customers concern to duplicate. Advised customer to return if it happens again. As for now, I have no explanation for why this may have occured." Any ideas?

Texas Jim

Fort Worth TX
Buick Ownership
2006 Cadillac DTS Performance Sedan
I wish you had the 21 codes so that you could post them.
They might help greatly in figuring out what the problem is.
Of course they had all passed since the last fail... :)
You were driving the car and it was running... LOL

Texas Jim

Detroit, USA
Tricia - Back on October 4, 2012, I posted re: 2006 Lucerne Engine shuts off while on hwy. I still have this problem. It won't happen for a while, and then again, it happens 4-5 times a day. Then nothing for a while. Yesterday, it cut off 5 times within 30 min on a very busy highway with a lot of construction. I just took a 400 mile trip from Florida to Alabama and it didn't happen the first time (mainly Interstate driving).

Seems to happen at lower speeds...although it has happened twice on the Interstate. Just loses power like it's coasting...I can press accelerator and nothing happens. While still driving on the highway, I put the car in neutral and restart it....it starts right up. I feel as though I have to always drive in the outside lane should it happen again. Doors unlock and lock just as it happens. I finally took it to local dealership (first time I took it, they wanted to keep it and drive it for a while. I couldn't do that because I need the car daily. And it can go for a month and nothing happens). Report says "Tech inspected vehicle and found 21 codes in system. Some were related to MAP sensor (?) and thermostat (engine), but they have all passed since last fail. No current codes in system at this time. Can not tell why vehicle has stalled. Test drove vehicle for several miles. Could not get customers concern to duplicate. Advised customer to return if it happens again. As for now, I have no explanation for why this may have occured." Any ideas?
I am not really sure why this would be happening. I would have to recommend that you take the vehicle back in. Feel free to contact me privately for more assistance.

Tricia, Buick Customer Service.

Tony S45

Buick Ownership
Buick
DPCasey:

Many moons ago there were a few threads on this forum about batteries and battery cables and doorlocks poping up & down.

My 2006 CLX needed a new battery about six months ago. Rather than going to an auto parts retailer, I elected to take it to a certified mechanic and jawboned with him about the necessity for clean terminals, proper placement of the vent tube, etc. because the battery is under the rear seat.

When my battery was slowly dying, it would intermittently hold a charge and the door locks would rattle up/down when weak--- no dying on the highway though.

Start with the basics --- battery and/or fuel. Good luck and keep us posted please.

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Well, I ended up replacing the MAP Sensor - The manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP sensor) is one of the sensors used in an internal combustion engine's electronic control system. - to the tune of $173.64. The independent mechanic says "you're going to be mad at me because this isn't going to fix your problem". But this was the error code that came up most often. Sure enough, it didn't fix the problem. That was on Christmas Eve and it hasn't happened again until yesterday - 1/14/13. So I'm giving him credit - he was right. It happened 3 times yesterday and twice today. It happened 4 times in city traffic and once sitting at a traffic light. I just called another dealership in a nearby town. Talked with the service manager with 30 years of GM experience. And he's never heard of this problem. This is driving me crazy....someone at Buick has to know what this problem is. I know there are a few more owners on this Forum that have experienced this problem. Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Still having problems with shutting off while driving. It shut off 9 times yesterday within a two-hour period. So
it's getting worse. Also, drove it to 7-11 late afternoon and started
it before I closed driver door. Engine backfired twice. This is first time
this has happened. Left it at dealership all day today. They may have driven it for 20 minutes around town, and of course, nothing happened. It's there tonight so they can try again tomorrow, but the problem is that
it happens so intermittently. It will go a week, or two, and nothing happens. And then it does it every time I drive it. Please, someone come up with an idea. Dealership answer: we don't know what happens
unless we are in the car when it does it and have the portable computer
on it.:sad:

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Tricia....how do I contact you personally? Would like to talk to you regarding this problem. Thanks for your prompt response.

walter1234

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Did you check the crank shaft or cam shaft position sensor? This might be your issue. You should trend the input to those sensors with the Tech 2 and see if they are defective.

DPCasey

Buick Ownership
Buick
Still have not resolved my problem. Replacing the MAP sensor did nothing. Replaced the MAF sensor on February 1st. Drove car about 120 miles before it died again. Same story as before, but this time the Check Engine Light came on and car started "lurching forward" - jumping - all lights came on and CEL stayed on. My first thougt was that car was running out of gas. Car had no power. I was close to exit so I just limped to station nearby. Added more gas, sat there for about 10 min. and started back up. CEL light was off and I got home with no problem...about 20 miles. This past Friday - Feb 10 - same thing happened again. Car had shut off 3 times while on Interstate...and almost home, it started the jumping thing again. Pulled over, let it rest, CEL went off and went to a nearby certified shop to run diagnostic. He said there were a lot of codes he would have to look at. It was 4:30 on Friday, so I'm taking it to him tomorrow AM and let him look at it. And guess what I got when I got home? A call from GM customer service asking me if my problem had been resolved and asking me to take a survey on the quality of their customer service and the service department at my GM dealership!

Dealership notes on MAF invoice: Replace MAF sensor. Tech found DTC
to possible short in the MAF sensor. Also possible throttle body concern.
Advised customer MAF should be addressed first.

07BuickLucern

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2007 Buick Lucerne with a 3.8L doing the same things. Did this issue ever get resolved if so kindly post what was repair or replaced to resolve the issues.

TCW-CXS

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Has there been any resolution to this problem? I too have a 2006 Lucerne –CXS and am having the same intermittent problem with my Lucerne, it completely shuts off while driving. I can put it in neutral or park and it will start back up and take off. This seems to happen while depressing the throttle pedal just a little bit to maintain a current speed. It has stalled in heavy traffic, going through an intersection, and in a residential neighborhood. However, it does not shut down when demanding the car for prompt, quick acceleration much like passing or speeding up to reach traffic speed – which should rule out fuel delivery.
I have taken it to the local dealer and they’re not sure what it is. Their suggestion is to replace the throttle body for a tune of $1,500. That’s an expensive guess at my expense. I have a very good working relationship with the service writers at my dealership, but after recently spending over $7K on engine gaskets/seals and a new transmission within the past three months, another $1,500 for a maybe is unacceptable.
Any help would be appreciated, if I can't find a solution the Buick has to go, which will be an extremely sad day in our house. It has 122,000 miles on it and we still love driving it. But, this is a safety issue for the car riders and motorists alike.

Pedal Commander