• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2006 Lucerne Owners Please Help Confirm Soft or Abrupt Opening of Glove Box

buick6002

Buick Ownership
Lucerne
Short version: From the factory, does the glove box fall open with gravity and stop abruptly when it bangs off the retention stops, or was it engineered to open softly and gradually?

Long version: Greetings everyone. My now ex-mechanic needed to remove the dash for an AC repair and his guys ham-fisted their way through the pristine interior of my new-to-us 2006 Lucerne. I'm compiling a list of items that are either covered in grease, broken, ill-fitting, or no longer working as originally installed, and I can't recall if the glove box as sold from the factory opened abruptly until it slammed down and bounced off of the stops (as it does now), or opened softly and gradually fell to the stops. My memory leans towards the latter but I'd like confirmation before I add it to the list.

I searched the manual, forum, youtube, and internet via duckduckgo, but had no luck finding the answer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

buick6002

Buick Ownership
Lucerne
When taking additional photos of the damage I discovered an open hole for a connector on the upper right side of the glove box, which I'm going to guess is where the soft-open cable attached and it was removed improperly and likely zipped up into the dash via the spring-loaded mechanism that kept tension on the line. I'm going to add it to the list and consider the question answered.

Mods, I don't see an option for me to edit the title to mark it as resolved. Feel free to do so if you see fit.

Thanks everyone for looking.

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
Short version: From the factory, does the glove box fall open with gravity and stop abruptly when it bangs off the retention stops, or was it engineered to open softly and gradually?

Long version: Greetings everyone. My now ex-mechanic needed to remove the dash for an AC repair and his guys ham-fisted their way through the pristine interior of my new-to-us 2006 Lucerne. I'm compiling a list of items that are either covered in grease, broken, ill-fitting, or no longer working as originally installed, and I can't recall if the glove box as sold from the factory opened abruptly until it slammed down and bounced off of the stops (as it does now), or opened softly and gradually fell to the stops. My memory leans towards the latter but I'd like confirmation before I add it to the list.

I searched the manual, forum, youtube, and internet via duckduckgo, but had no luck finding the answer.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I just had to take my glove box all apart to replace one of those HVAC actuators. My guess is that they didn't install this thing correctly when putting it all back together.....

Attachments

Last edited:

2008LucerneCX

Buick Ownership
2006 Lucerne CX - 3800
When taking additional photos of the damage I discovered an open hole for a connector on the upper right side of the glove box, which I'm going to guess is where the soft-open cable attached and it was removed improperly and likely zipped up into the dash via the spring-loaded mechanism that kept tension on the line. I'm going to add it to the list and consider the question answered.

Mods, I don't see an option for me to edit the title to mark it as resolved. Feel free to do so if you see fit.

Thanks everyone for looking.
PS. There is no "cable". I assume the mechanism in my pic is the equivalent of that. People told me to follow the procedure for an Impala to remove that glovebox/assembly as "it's the same". BS. I watched the YouTube video of an Impala removal and this Lucerne glovebox is much more involved. The Impala had the cable. The Lucerne had these 2 hidden pins that hold it in there plus mine had the power trunk button to disassemble and the light bulb assembly that fell out in 9 different pieces. It safe to say I won't have a lighted glovebox anymore. If they didn't put all that crap together right, I really can't fault them. This was unreasonably involved.

Pedal Commander