2008 Buick Lucerene - Will NOT start - ran when parked

G-644101

What years does it cover on the recall and any document number. There was another Lucerne owner forum post on it being repaired for free from Canada in the last few weeks but haven't seen anything else. Any additional information may help others to get the cost covered.

I will look and post tomorrow.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 liter
I had the same problem as everyone here described. Same fix too. I replaced the fuse box. I think the problem (just in a bit more depth) is that when the seat pushes against the relay its not making such a good contact and tends to arc a bit. This heats it up and melts the fuse box / socket for the relay or fuse. I fixed mine about 3 years ago and not a problem since.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I did mine some time ago along with every other TSB and fourm posted problem check, but the Recall on this isn't showing up on my VIN# on the Buick or NHTSA site so that's why I'm asking about it. Seems odd so late in the life of the vehicle to do this, but maybe GM is hoping most would be off the road by now LOL.

Howardo2b

Buick Ownership
2006buick lucerne CXL 3.8
I'm doing a bit more reading on the forum....the relay/fuse panel board didn't melt as far as I can tell. I think the next step is to get the fuel pump tested?
the fuel pump and the gas filter are all in the gas tank...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
There isn't a recall, not sure how or why people think there is one. There is a TSB, Technical Service Bulletin, which is not a Recall!

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
My fuse box failed again last fall. Left me stranded at a clients house. I had the car towed to my house and fixed it for good.

What you need:

Ehdis 4-Pin 80A 12V Relay with Harness Car Truck Motor Heavy Duty On/Off Normally Open SPST Relay Socket Plug 4 Wire Automotive Model JD2912-1H-12VDC 80A 14VDC​

Commonly found on Amazon:

I do not have the wiring diagram present right now. However, Your basically going to remove the wires going to the relay socket and fuse. Rewire them outside attached to this relay above. I put an inline fuse holder with the recommended 20 amp fuse.

Dont worry about mounting it. Mine has extra slack in the wire harness that it lays on the floor next to the fuse box. It does not get warm at all. It can handle the amps no problem. In fact, Its probably over rated for what I use it for. I did this last fall and have had no problems ever since.

Hope that helps.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Considering that you posted it was fixed, 6/29/19 not clear on how it seemed to fail as a new fuse box, shorter relay and seat modification would resolve any possibility of it happening. The seat brace pushed into the larger relay creating the problem of the short, so how did it happen again?

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
Considering that you posted it was fixed, 6/29/19 not clear on how it seemed to fail as a new fuse box, shorter relay and seat modification would resolve any possibility of it happening. The seat brace pushed into the larger relay creating the problem of the short, so how did it happen again?
Alright. Ill say it. I was too lazy to fix the seat. There.
:)
I like my fix much better though.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
No harm, no foul just checking if the TSB fix may have a flaw LOL.

century61

Indiana
Buick Ownership
No harm, no foul just checking if the TSB fix may have a flaw LOL.
Here is how I see it:

The fuse for the pump is rated at 20 amps. I figure a new pump draws about 10 amps. As the pump ages it takes a bit more amps to keep it going. Then you have that GM relay. It is powered on all the time the car runs. It gets hot no matter what. So, Eventually the fuse box is going to fail from the heat of the relay. Its an engineering goof on GM. Thats why the TSB. Sure, The seat latch does come into play but over time the relay and fuse box is bound to fail anyways. Therefore, I fixed the real problem which is the engineering flaw. I have an 80amp relay wired in external to the fuse box. Because its over spec'ed for the job it does not get hot. That relay will outlast my car.

So, I will not end up stranded on the side of the road thinking "Gee, I replaced that and fixed the seat two years ago. Now I have to do it again and replace the fuse box.

That is my thinking on the issue.

Thank you for taking pity on me for not fixing the seat :) I do feel kinda dumb for not getting that done. However, I use this car daily running service calls and such and just didnt get to it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
That's fine, I just wanted to check it wasn't the fix as like the heated windshield washer fluid fix debacle, recall new part, recall the recall new part, recall the recall of the recall with complete removal of everything related to the heated windshield washer fluid system, GM problem solving at its finest LOL.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
This thread is getting OLD! First post 2012?

TURNUDOWN

Buick Ownership
lecerne
old yes but new owner old buick. is there a video on changing out fuse box stast to finish? i know its a clip but i want everything to look as close to what it does now????

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
old yes but new owner old buick. is there a video on changing out fuse box stast to finish? i know its a clip but i want everything to look as close to what it does now????
Here's a good one
This thread is getting OLD! First post 2012? Could we start a new thread with the problem & fix? I hate reading threads this old!

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!