• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2008 Lucerne water pump elbows.

PeterPaul

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne
2008 Lucerne 177K miles. In excellent condition. I stay on top of maintenance with the help of a great mechanic. Chronic problem with water pump coolant elbows. Replaced 5 times in the approx 5 years I have owned the car. I’ve researched and think I understand the issue. All replacements have been the metal elbows. Leaking again. Any recommendations? Particular brand of replacement elbow with most reliable o-ring seals?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Who is replacing these elbows, you or a shop?
Are the O-rings being lubricated with anything when they are installed to prevent damage to them?
Typically going with a NAPA part is reliable.

G-701024

Who is replacing these elbows, you or a shop?
Are the O-rings being lubricated with anything when they are installed to prevent damage to them?
Typically going with a NAPA part is reliable.
A very good mechanic replaced the elbows. His shop has done excellent work for me on other issues, on four family member’s cars. Never had any problem with any of that work. Totally at a loss as to why this elbow replacement has been so problematic.

PeterPaul

Buick Ownership
2008 Lucerne
A very good mechanic has done the work for me. His shop has done excellent work for several years on many other issues on the cars of my four immediate family members. Never had any trouble with any of that work. Totally at a loss as to why this elbow replacement is so problematic.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
It may be worth finding out what brand as Dorman O-rings seem to have a problem at times. One option is to get the GM O-rings or use sensor safe RTV around circumference of each end of the elbow and the o-rings. Not sure if this is will be the answer to your problem but something to talk about with the shop.

weathdl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2007 Buick Lucerne - 3.8 V6
I just replaced mine with the plastic Dormans. I'm sure they won't last. I can't seem to find a quality plastic one that isn't made in China. Rock Auto had the AC Delco brand, but they only had the lower elbow, not the upper one. I've heard the metal elbows will eventually begin to wear into the manifold when the o-ring shrinks and enlarge the hole making it harder to seal. Not sure if there is any truth to this or not.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
A little more information on the aluminum elbows, O-rings and lubricants.

Pedal Commander