• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL overheating notification but car doesn’t actually appear to be overheating

BretGatlin

Buick Ownership
2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL
Hello, I have a 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL that is giving a notification that it’s overheating but doesn’t appear to be actually overheating. I turn the car off and the fan runs for a few minutes then shuts off. The coolant level is perfect and wasn’t bubbling or anything. Ideas of what could be causing it to think it’s overheating?

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Could possibly be air lock, was coolant recently changed or other? Car must have actual temp gauge, is pointer higher than about centered on gauge or facsimile of gauge? Maybe default sensor, try disconnecting negative of battery and reconnect after say 5 minutes? Others may have some really good attack plans also......

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Unless you are using a digital thermometer to get a direct reading off the engine and coolant system there's no way to know just by looking at it. Also when you said that you checked the coolant was at the radiator, cap off when cool, or just the overflow tank?

This previous post may help on what could be happening, but it may be the temperature sensor or thermostat is the first items to check along with the level in the radiator, there may be other solutions from fourm also.

Help. please. Lacrosse engine fans keep running with high temp warning.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
what temperature is your gauge showing? does it rise gradually? like Rich B. said there could be an air pocket (sometimes needs a "burp" after coolant flush) but how long has this been going on?

Pedal Commander