2010 Buick LaCrosse Dead battery

jdaniel46

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS and if I don't drive it at least once a week, the battery drains and it won't start.

I took it to the dealer the first time and they replaced the battery saying there was a dead cell,

The next time they installed a software upgrade that was supposed to solve it. They also asked how far away was my remote. They said if it was too close to the car, it might cause the battery to drain. So I put the remotes in a tin box in the house to shield them from the car. Didn't help.

I went on vacation for 2 weeks and the battery was dead again. I jumped it on Sunday and let it idle for 30 minutes. Went to drive it to work on Wed and it was dead again. Jumped it and drove to work. Will see if I can get home tonight.

Any ideas?

r/Joe

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
This can be a problem for newer cars, especially those with so many modules. Usually they can go two-weeks minimum so it sounds like you might have a vehicle issue.
If they don't find a problem however, you might want to get a battery tender/minder.
They range in price from $6 to $50 and they seem to really help out the older folks that I recommend them to.

jdaniel46

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the feedback. I have considered getting one as it's a little overkill to keep my charger connected.

I'll probably give the dealer one more chance to see if there is a problem he can fix or if it's just a design problem that I have to live with. I did read that airport parking attendants are getting a lot more dead battery calls with the newer cars with all the bells and whistles.

r/Joe

I have a 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS and if I don't drive it at least once a week, the battery drains and it won't start.

I took it to the dealer the first time and they replaced the battery saying there was a dead cell,

The next time they installed a software upgrade that was supposed to solve it. They also asked how far away was my remote. They said if it was too close to the car, it might cause the battery to drain. So I put the remotes in a tin box in the house to shield them from the car. Didn't help.

I went on vacation for 2 weeks and the battery was dead again. I jumped it on Sunday and let it idle for 30 minutes. Went to drive it to work on Wed and it was dead again. Jumped it and drove to work. Will see if I can get home tonight.

Any ideas?

r/Joe
Hello,

I apologize for the troubles you are having. I understand how frustrating it can be to go to the dealership more than once for the same problem. I see that you are going back to the dealership. Please let me know if they are able to take care of this for you or not this time. I will be more than happy to get involved in you would like me to look into things further.

Geoff Allen
Buick Customer Service

jdaniel46

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks Geoff, for the offer.

The first time I took it in, the service group didn't issue a ticket so it wasn't in their system to check. After not hearing from them for a week, I stopped by. The service desk was closed but the general manager looked for it in their computer system and couldn't find it. They located it the next day and sure enough, it wouldn't start, so they replaced the battery.

The second time I took it in, they only let it sit 4 days before trying to start it. Of course, it worked fine, so they updated the firmware according to a service bulletin and gave it back.

Since then, I have been driving it at least once a week until I went on vacation for two weeks. When I returned the battery was dead.

Hopefully I can get them to let it sit for 8 to 10 days before trying to start it. I just hate to have my new car sitting in the shop for that long.

r/Joe

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 Lacrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2018 Cadillac ATS

Any ideas?

r/Joe

There is definitely something wrong with your car - the battery should go at least 4 weeks without any issues, even in these newer cars. Don't let them feed you any BS about your remotes being too close to the car etc.

I wonder if anybody else here has had the same problem, I haven't left my car for more than 2 days without starting since I bought it.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
With keyless/passive start, having the key fobs in the car could cause control modules to stay awake, increasing parasitic draw. This is only true if you have the keyless start option, regular key fobs don't work the same way so it isn't an issue for them.

Joe, the dealer should be able to determine your total parasitic draw in just one day. They have the equipment, hopefully they know how to use it.
I will say however that everyone's 'down time' length is different based upon many other factors beside just parasitic draw. For instance, lets say I drive 70 miles everyday and you drive 5 miles every other day. When we walk away from our vehicles for 2 weeks, our batteries are in totally different states of charge. If we each have the same 75 mA parasitic draw, my battery will last longer than yours because it's state of charge is much closer to full.
I noticed how you said in the first post "battery was dead, jump started, idled vehicle for 1/2 hour". Let me tell you that idling the car is not good enough to recharge a dead battery. An idling alternator can barely put out the energy needed to kepp the car running let alone recover a battery thats been fully discharged.

Couple more comments and I'll jump of my soapbox.....if you have a battery charger use it instead of the vehicle to get a dead battery back to full, it's better for the battery and much better for the car and finally DON'T use a standard battery charger as a better tender/maintainer, it's not smart enough and you'll overcharge the battery and ruin it not to mention a potential smoke hazard. If you want to maintain any battery, use something safe.
GM actually makes a battery tender as a FACTORY option for Corvette purchasers, it's probably very pricey compared to the aftermarket but it does validate the idea that todays cars need to be driven, whether it's every 2 weeks or 4 for you, we'll have to wait and see.

jdaniel46

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
The car does have remote start and although I keep the fob in my bedroom when not driving the car, it's a short walk from there to the garage. From the bedroom I can lock/unlock the car. That's why I put the fob in a tin box.

Thanks for the info on the battery and chargers. I do have a Sears charger that I've used before. It's supposed to quit charging when the battery is full. And I have been looking at a batteryminder as recommended earlier.

Just need to get home early enough from work to drop the car off and see what the dealer finds.

r/Joe

buickkkk

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
After one and half years of having no battery problems, the battery on our 2010 Buick LaCrosse went completely dead. AAA recharged it and suggested a visit to the dealer. Did that. The dealer had to recharge it for an hour as per warranty rules. After an hour, they determined it was a dead cell. They replaced the battery at no charge. We monitor the vehicle's system (tire pressure, oil life, battery status etc.) via the on-board analyzer at least once month. There was no indication on the battery charge analyzer or any alert that there was a problem. We will monitor it on a more frequent basis. The dealer did not mention this was a common problem with LaCrosse batteries. Based on the previous comments, it appears there might be one.

Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXT
We are having dead battery issues with ours. It was dead yesterday. I put it on a good (smart) charger overnight after I cleaned the battery posts and battery cable clamps (and sprayed them with a corrosion inhibitor). Disconnected the charger this morning when I saw it had gone into float mode and assumed all was well. Got a message a few hours later from my wife that the car would not start. Again. This, along with the "Engine Overspeed" crap we are experiencing with the transmission, has me wishing I had not purchased this car in the first place. Which is real shame as we were thrilled with the car at first. Then the rims were found to be poor castings, so porous that they actually leaked air. Dealership would not help. Then the sunroof sunshade destroyed itself. This car should have been painted yellow, if you get my drift.

Buick Ownership
2011 lacrosse
Every year in August like clockwork the battery in my 2011 Lacrosse goes dead due to a dead cell. I have had the dealership check the charging system numerous times to prevent future failure and they never find a problem. I purchase the best dealership OEM battery so why is this happening?

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I'm reading your post and if you are buying a new battery every year and the dealer can't find anything wrong, I would consider a different dealer or at least a different battery. Most battery manufacturer's warranties are for 24 to 48 months, so you should be getting a free replacement or prorated one.

When you say the best is that meaning the most expensive? Battery life is now around 3-5 years window based on different manufacturer's and battery's. There are some junk battery's out there, ask the techs at different shops as they are the ones having to replace them. If 2 or 3 shop people from different shops say xyz battery mfg is crap, its more than likely it is. Not a scientific method, just getting it from a straight source.

When you say they tested the charging system, did they look for a parasitic battery drain also? Usually this is caused by a short circuit or an electrical device that remains in the "on" position or energized after the key has been turned off. At one time Onstar caused this drain . Hood, vanity mirrors and glove box lights, etc. are just some other sources.

Just a few suggestions on what may help.

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
All facets seem covered here in the past decade of posts or so. The part about all the activity with car shut off is so true these days. Battery should not be going dead however. What I'd look for:
1) Is battery actually being charged with engine running?
2) A sitting battery should read around 12.5 volts if all cells are good, could be in the 13's even.
3) If say the trunk lamp or other is staying on all the time, will drain battery for sure (something not known about and mentioned).
4) The first few years I let my Boss Mustang sit for the winter with no charger, started right up. Same difference with the parasitic phenomon with that. Use tender these last several years as it's a good idea anyways. Battery still fine after 6 years having car.
5) Buy a new car before the original tires wear out if trouble persists (kidding).

Oh too, could very well be satellite interference. Car before Buick had dead battery like that and touch screen was a turmoil of activity. Nothing that made any sense but happened. Charged battery and never reoccurred. So On Star, wouldn't rule it out?

Last edited:

chartny

Buick Newbie
Upstate NY
Buick Ownership
Buick Lucerne '11
Agree: but you might want to spend a few $$ and put one of these in your power port. Keep track of overnight volts. Overnight volts should be the same every day. 12.5-12.3, depends on the temperature some. When first started it should go up to 14.3-14.5. When first started the system tops of the battery to full charge. Then when warm, idle in gear, turn on the head lights, and blower to max. Volts should be 13.5 or better. Weak charging system will not hold the load.

-chart-

Attachments

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL, 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
The 2009 GM Onstar had a TSB related to battery drain, but it also seems that if you discontinued the service in the past it could still caused a battery drain as it would still try to go through its programming cycle to connect. Owners from those era units just pulled the fuse, got a new VCIM and/or if still a active user got a software update. Think of your smartphone trying to make a connection to a WIFI source when a open one isn't available, you're phone battery will be drained even though you didn't use it as it keeps just banging away trying to connect to the source.

To Buick20111984 wanted to know if something that may happen in the month of August that doesn't happen for the other 11 months with your car? From just a trouble shooting view is that cars and battery's don't know what month it is so a failure on regular basis seems like there should be something that is prior to it happening and would be something to consider.

dbris

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse CXS
I've had 3 batteries die from open cells on my 2011 CXS. I suspect it's a heat related issue or just bad batteries ( which I doubt). A load that's left on that runs the battery down will NOT cause a cell to open. Remember, the original poster said that it was a dead cell, not just a dead battery.

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Yes too have answered here before, however we all want to know the problem and fix too.

1) How do they know a cell is actually bad unless testing the specific gravity of the solution? Batteries these days are maintenance free, are caps pryed off with screwdriver to test?
2) All suggestions are valid but perhaps it's much simpler as a semi-loose cable, alternator may be attempting to over charge battery.
3) It's pretty certain you know what it's not😳
4) Try disconnecting the battery completely each night, making sure it has adequate charge (maybe mentioned already), negative terminal only is required.
5) Would imagine bad battery cell syndrome is maybe an educated guess. Hard to fathom they all have bad cells too🤑

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.