2010 Buick LaCrosse Dead battery

BIG ROCCO

PHOENIX, AZ
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse eAssist P1 w/H-K & Nav
Every year in August like clockwork the battery in my 2011 Lacrosse goes dead due to a dead cell. I have had the dealership check the charging system numerous times to prevent future failure and they never find a problem. I purchase the best dealership OEM battery so why is this happening?
Where are you located? Here in Phoenix, heat usually kills 12V regular lead acid batteries within about 2 years, sometimes after only 1 year; the exceptions are the spiral AGM (Optima) batteries, and all batteries that are not in the engine compartment...ones that are under the rear seat or in the trunk seem to last 4+ years, even here in Phoenix.

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Never considered the high heat factor, yes can see how that could be a hot climate issue. In ME of coarse years ago the battery hot-plate was really practical. Especially with our '66 Beatle, air cooled motor. But that was late '60s, early '70's. Wife's car, I had a road runner those days.

dbris

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse CXS
You can check the battery voltage (with a separate meter). If it measures around 11 volts and drops to almost zero when you hit the starter or turn the lights on then you probably have a bad cell or a connection between cells. In this case it won't crank at all and everything will go dead. In my case, the car had only been parked for an hour and went completely dead when trying to start it. (3 times) I've seen this in other cars and it seems to usually happen when the battery is physically hot and sometimes letting it sit for an hour will allow it to start. If it dies only after sitting for a long time, it's more likely that something in the car is discharging it or it's just a bad battery. And of course it could have been damaged by heat before it was parked.
If you look at the battery location in these cars, there isn't much air circulation around them.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Well too I've had the hot no start issue but was a heat soaked starter. They get old, bind up when hot and no problems with cold start. New battery may make the problem disappear for awhile but it begins all over again.

Track racing will create the no start problem and a heat cover is available for the issue. Do I race the Buick? LMAO, no it's the other that's track ready from the factory. Not that either but others with identical car that do. image.jpeg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.