2010 Buick Lucerne Dual Heater issue Question.

dad

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi to all and thanks in advance for your help and input!
2010 Lucerne with dual heater controls seems to have intermediate issue. Sometimes the passanger side will go cold air while the drivers side will continue with nice warm air. This sounds crazy but it sometimes if I turn a sharp left or right corner the heat will return to the passanger side again and work uselly the rest of the trip. Not sure how the turning would change anything but it sure seems like that helps it.
So if you have any tips on what I should look for it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks much Dad

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Actuator might be hanging on something or going bad based on the post details, but it may a wire or harness issue again just based on description. Have you checked the controls as to a single setting vs dual if that has made any difference? Is it floor, vent, defrost vents? As it's somewhat intermittent it a little hard to troubleshoot but here's some diagrams on what the parts are and the system, maybe someone else on the forum can help.
0507266K09-084.png 0508314H09-033.png 1009214H09-041.png

dad

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks much. I haven’t tested anything yet was looking for a starting place. Thanks much. It does it mostly floor and dash vents coming out the right and center passenger

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
One other thing is if it's set on recirculation or outside air and see if anything changes. Moving the control settings are the basic steps then it gets into more detail troubleshooting, good luck on the project.

bucky53

Buick Ownership
Lucerne
I have read reports elsewhere that a partially clogged heater core can cause this. The fix was to first check the hose temps hot at the heater core under the hood. See if one is hotter than the other. If so shut the engine off and let cool, remove the hoses at the core inlet and outlet and backflush with plain water. Do not do this with the engine running.
I have a similar issue but my scanner tells me that the temp actuator on the right side is not responding to commands from the control so it won't ever get warm on the heat setting. The entire dash has to come out to replace that RH actuator. You have to pull the seats and the console to even think about getting the dash pulled back. 6.4 hours of shop labor. I ordered my true love a nice wool blanket.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
As a FYI here's a video on the heater core replacement with full dash removal but the seats are not removed. It may be of use on what is involved on the actuator to location and possible access.

bucky53

Buick Ownership
Lucerne
I watched that video a couple of days ago but my actuator issue thankfully doesn't require the whole hvac assembly being removed. I'm wondering if I can hack the actuator replacement by pulling the radio and the hvac control. Any thoughts?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I've had the upper dash apart and center console off for a sat/nav radio system, still a pain, but can't confirm on how much access to actually remove a actuator. As on some other posts they can be seen but workspace is tight and having a selection of unique tools and being creative seems to be the solution. I have a cheap Wifi endoscope for those areas that are to tight or not line of sight visible which doesn't correct the problem but I can at least see what I'm up against.

Having the hands of a 10 year old with the length of a NBA player arms and being a contortionists should be included in the service manuals LOL.

bucky53

Buick Ownership
Lucerne
And to think I sold a 2001 Regal GS to buy this car. Ha! She does ride nice though. Fuel mileage not so good.
The slogan when I started at my first Buick dealer in 1972 was "When better cars are built Buick will build them" It was true at the time but not so much when I retired from my last GM dealer in 2016 which was also a Buick dealer with GMC thrown in. I still like getting my hands dirty but a lift would come in handy.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Having the GM dealer service program and getting exploded diagrams can give a better view on how something can still be done correctly but skipping a bunch of unnecessary steps or extra part removal.
20201125_080434.jpg

bucky53

Buick Ownership
Lucerne
I have AlldataDIY but it's lacking in a lot of ways. My last job let me keep my log ins but when the chain sold that location that all went bye bye.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!