2010 LaCrosse airbag removal

Anchor

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Anchor here and I am a new member. I just picked up a 2010 LaCrosse with some accident damage and the steering wheel airbag is deployed. My question is how do I get the airbag out of the steering wheel. I don't have the holes on the side of the wheel so I suppose this is the one that needs the special removal tool that so may people say is no good. Let me know please and maybe a link to a video.
Thanks
Anchor

vberardi

Buick Newbie
Des Moines, Ia
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick LaCrosse
Anchor here and I am a new member. I just picked up a 2010 LaCrosse with some accident damage and the steering wheel airbag is deployed. My question is how do I get the airbag out of the steering wheel. I don't have the holes on the side of the wheel so I suppose this is the one that needs the special removal tool that so may people say is no good. Let me know please and maybe a link to a video.
Thanks
Anchor
1. Remove the steering column cover (directly behind the steering wheel).
A. The upper cover must be removed first. It is snapped into place (no screws)(rotate the steering wheel 90 degrees to access snap tabs which also cover the screws for the lower cover).
B. The lower cover is attached with three screws, one on the underside of the steering column, two are located behind the steering wheel (rotate the steering wheel 90 degrees left and right to access).

2. With the column cover removed and the steering wheel rotated 180 degrees (up side down), the airbag access holes are located on the back side of the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

I have attached the GM instructions for a 2014 LaCrosse. I believe that procedure is the same for 2010 to 2018.

Attachments

Lubener

N.Ohio
Buick Ownership
"WAS" 97 Lesabre
Don't know what you are trying to do here, remove completely or replace? Since this is a critical safety item, I wouldn't imagine air bag service was meant to be a shade tree mechanic item.

gauk2o

Buick Ownership
2015 lacrosse
does it require a special tool to remove the airbag from the back side of the steering wheel?