• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2010 Lacrosse won't start intermittently - HELP NEEDED!

Lacrosse owner

Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse
I have a 2010 Lacrosse that recently died on me suddenly. It acted like it wasn't getting fuel. It turned over but wouldn't start. I had it towed to a garage and they diagnosed it as a bad high pressure fuel pump. I went back to the repair garage to get something out of the car and before the work was performed and it started right up. After the fuel pump was replaced it ran great for a couple of weeks. Then after filling up one day it starting acting up again. It stalled and I got it to restart but it sputtered then began to run OK. After doing this 3 times I pulled into a open parking lot and called my wife to come get me. While waiting for her, I started it up later and and it ran fine. I took it back to the garage and and had my wife follow me. The car started and ran perfectly while at the garage. After a couple of days I picked it up with no additional work being done. Then after a week it did it again. It was after filling up, but about 30 miles after filling up. This time I had to have it towed to the garage. The mechanic said it started right up when they checked it after being towed to the garage. He said he needed it to fail while on a scanner. I told him to drive it until it stopped a gain so he could diagnose and fix it. After two weeks it still ran perfectly. I picked it up last night and it was almost empty. I wonder if this has something to do with a fill - up. I understand that there is a second "low pressure" fuel pump in the gad tank - perhaps it is the second pump.

This is very frustrating - please let me know if there is anyone out there that experienced this problem and how it was fixed

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Does this only happen after you fill the car?
Do you stop pumping gas when the pump stops or do you force more into the tank?
You may want to show this link to the shop that did the work
Direct Injection FIX

Lacrosse owner

Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse
This doesn't only happen when I fill the car, but it did right after one fill-up. Usually it start and runs Ok shortly after, but the last time it occurred I tried to start it the next day and no luck. By the time the tow truck cam and delivered it to the Repair Garage it started right up. I'll show link to my mechanic - thanks much.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Sounds maybe an intermittent electrical connection. Exact same thing but long....long ago when I had my ‘69 road runner. Was a lose bulkhead connection, took forever to locate. Start by checking fuses, distribution points?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
I don't see that the shop checked the Fuel Pump Flow control module, GM part 2079190, not saying it's the problem but it's in the system that if intermittent may possibly create the issue. You didn't mention in the comments if you are able to hear the fuel pump during the no start issue, so for trouble shooting you need to be the eyes and ears on the forum.

Damienluis88

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
I have a 2010 Lacrosse that recently died on me suddenly. It acted like it wasn't getting fuel. It turned over but wouldn't start. I had it towed to a garage and they diagnosed it as a bad high pressure fuel pump. I went back to the repair garage to get something out of the car and before the work was performed and it started right up. After the fuel pump was replaced it ran great for a couple of weeks. Then after filling up one day it starting acting up again. It stalled and I got it to restart but it sputtered then began to run OK. After doing this 3 times I pulled into a open parking lot and called my wife to come get me. While waiting for her, I started it up later and and it ran fine. I took it back to the garage and and had my wife follow me. The car started and ran perfectly while at the garage. After a couple of days I picked it up with no additional work being done. Then after a week it did it again. It was after filling up, but about 30 miles after filling up. This time I had to have it towed to the garage. The mechanic said it started right up when they checked it after being towed to the garage. He said he needed it to fail while on a scanner. I told him to drive it until it stopped a gain so he could diagnose and fix it. After two weeks it still ran perfectly. I picked it up last night and it was almost empty. I wonder if this has something to do with a fill - up. I understand that there is a second "low pressure" fuel pump in the gad tank - perhaps it is the second pump.

This is very frustrating - please let me know if there is anyone out there that experienced this problem and how it was fixed

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Too, back in the good ole days those problems would be symptom of vapor lock. Should be eliminated with fuel injection however.

Radiator

Oviedo, FL
Buick Ownership
2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS
Too, back in the good ole days those problems would be symptom of vapor lock. Should be eliminated with fuel injection however.
I agree. Maybe its still worth trying to remove and replace the gas cap (when the symptom exists) in case its not venting properly?

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Perhaps, but that is part of a closed vacuum reburn fumes system. Seems code would be showing up with faulty gas cap not sealing though? Do recall when those were vented under some conditions....

Pedal Commander