2011 Buick Regal CXL Automatic Transmission Lag/Hesitation

vipervenom

St. Catharines, ON, Canada
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
I am sorry that a representative has not reached out to you yet! Unfortunately, I am unable to access the same system that is used in Canada, otherwise I would! If you are interested in contacting them again to see if more progress is being made you may call them at the number I previously provided. Again, I do apologize for the delay.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care
It's such a shame that nobody wants to take on ownership of this problem and contact GM on my behalf. While it's great that you have provided me with a phone number, of which I called 2 years ago and got nowhere, it would be nice for you to reach out to your Canadian counterpart and get the ball rolling for me. I feel as though I am being brushed off just like the dealership has done in the past. I guess the attitude there is if you ignore the problem it will go away. Well I can tell you, I will not rest until this issue has been resolved to my satisfaction or I have gotten rid of this lemon regal.

T07

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal
I also have hesitation and a few weird shits due to the 6 speed. I hardly see it as a safety issue. There is a PI published that address the issue, its due to torque management.

Sure it could be better but I have learned my driving characteristics to where its pretty much unnoticeable. Unless you can get the dealer to drive it and think it falls outside the conditions in the PI, nothing is going to be done...

If you do think its a lemon, then find a comparable Regal to test drive and see if your being picky or you do have a faulty vehicle.

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
I also have hesitation and a few weird shits due to the 6 speed. I hardly see it as a safety issue. There is a PI published that address the issue, its due to torque management.

Sure it could be better but I have learned my driving characteristics to where its pretty much unnoticeable. Unless you can get the dealer to drive it and think it falls outside the conditions in the PI, nothing is going to be done...

If you do think its a lemon, then find a comparable Regal to test drive and see if your being picky or you do have a faulty vehicle.
As far as the safety issue goes, mine is completely bogging when i let off the gas and coast for a second and then back on the gas. That's a safety issue because the person behind me (if following too close) will not see any brake lights and would expect that I would keep my forward momentum, but with the bogging and hesitation it quickly becomes a hazard for being rear ended, hence the safety issue.

What are you referring to when you reference a "PI"? And if it addresses the issue, is there a known repair for this torque management issue?

mikeg

3.8L Turbo Member
Overland Park, KS
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal T07 Russelsheim
Move the shift lever to the manual mode and shift manually. I bet if you downshift in high gear when required (if you are slowing down) or you don't let your rpm drop below 1500 then you wouldn't experience this.

Get the tune and all of your troubles will go away.

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
**UPDATE**: I received a call from GM Canada inquiring about the issues I have been having. I was told that they are going to call the dealership and look into the issues further and get back to me at the beginning of next week.

I will let you know what happens from here.

Harshman

Buick Ownership
17 Regal GS AWD
I am not being argumentative; the person following too closely behind and not paying attention to the cars/drivers around them (particularly in front of them) is the definite safety hazard. While your car MAY be an issue, that is impossible for any of us to tell since we are not there and have only your subjective description. I hope that the dealer or GM Canada are able to alleviate your concerns, one way or another.

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
I am not being argumentative; the person following too closely behind and not paying attention to the cars/drivers around them (particularly in front of them) is the definite safety hazard. While your car MAY be an issue, that is impossible for any of us to tell since we are not there and have only your subjective description. I hope that the dealer or GM Canada are able to alleviate your concerns, one way or another.
While I agree with you on the aspect of someone driving too closely being a definite safety hazard, my vehicle not performing as it should is also another safety hazard. As for my description being subjective, I don't agree with that. My account of what my vehicle is doing at that exact moment is strictly based on the facts of the actual event. Pressing the gas pedal down and the vehicle bogging / hesitating is not at all subjective. That is exactly what the vehicle is doing at that time. I too hope GM Canada can shed some light on this issue that so many others are experiencing.

Detroit, USA
**UPDATE**: I received a call from GM Canada inquiring about the issues I have been having. I was told that they are going to call the dealership and look into the issues further and get back to me at the beginning of next week.

I will let you know what happens from here.
I am happy to hear this! Yes, please keep us posted on the outcome.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
I am happy to hear this! Yes, please keep us posted on the outcome.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care
Jessica,

Had I been a USA customer, what would you have recommended? Is there a fix for this particular problem in the USA? I hear people telling me to get "the tune" or the "trifecta" tune. I'm guessing that this would potentially void my warranty?

JCG

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal Turbo (Premium III)
I know exactly what you're going through. I totally sympathize, and I wouldn't keep dealing with this (and I didn't).

I didn't have any transmission issues with my 2011, but a whole host of engine noise issues, among others, plagued my car. No one could find anything wrong, and I couldn't take it anymore. I would strongly suggest pursuing a buyback. I don't know what the laws in Canada are, but here, specifically in California where I live, the laws are very favorable to the consumer. I was able to get rid of my troublesome, yet beautiful 2011, and move up to a 2013 Turbo III at no cost to me, and with cash back.

It took a month to get settled, and I'm disappointed at some of the minor changes made to the model from 2011 to 2013, but at least I have a brand new car with a quiet engine, and I don't have to worry about mechanical issues at this point. Who knows? My transmission probably would have misbehaved too, eventually. I could very well see this becoming a safety issue, too.

As far as your contacting GM and working with your dealer, believe me--been there, done that, went through it all. GM was not particularly helpful to me, nor was the dealer, and I had to hire an attorney to help me get an equitable deal. I was passed around to 9 different reps in one month, and everyone had a different story.

My relationship with my dealer eroded to the extent that I returned the vehicle for the buyback at a different dealership several miles away because I couldn't stand the sight of the sleazy sales manager and service manager any longer--and they themselves didn't drive Buicks--the sales manager was driving a Mercedes, and the service manager an Audi (when you have to sit, stranded at a dealership as long as I did on so many occasions, you start to notice the staff pulling in and out, and what they drive). I'm sure me, my Buick and my problems with it were nothing more than joke material in the break room to these elitist snobs who looked down on me like salt of the Earth. No interest in helping me, and with GM, I had to call each and every single day (even on weekends and I left messages) to get anything out of customer service. That's when they finally made me a buyback offer. They were sick of my calling every day. It was a joke, and I hired the attorney.

It was so much hassle, but absolutely worth it when it was all said and done. I think you'll be able to put your mind at ease if instead of trying to fix the problem you just abandon it. It also didn't cost anything to retain the attorney as state law requires the manufacturer to pay legal fees. I don't know if that would be your case, but may be worth exploring.

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
I know exactly what you're going through. I totally sympathize, and I wouldn't keep dealing with this (and I didn't).

I didn't have any transmission issues with my 2011, but a whole host of engine noise issues, among others, plagued my car. No one could find anything wrong, and I couldn't take it anymore. I would strongly suggest pursuing a buyback. I don't know what the laws in Canada are, but here, specifically in California where I live, the laws are very favorable to the consumer. I was able to get rid of my troublesome, yet beautiful 2011, and move up to a 2013 Turbo III at no cost to me, and with cash back.

It took a month to get settled, and I'm disappointed at some of the minor changes made to the model from 2011 to 2013, but at least I have a brand new car with a quiet engine, and I don't have to worry about mechanical issues at this point. Who knows? My transmission probably would have misbehaved too, eventually. I could very well see this becoming a safety issue, too.

As far as your contacting GM and working with your dealer, believe me--been there, done that, went through it all. GM was not particularly helpful to me, nor was the dealer, and I had to hire an attorney to help me get an equitable deal. I was passed around to 9 different reps in one month, and everyone had a different story.

My relationship with my dealer eroded to the extent that I returned the vehicle for the buyback at a different dealership several miles away because I couldn't stand the sight of the sleazy sales manager and service manager any longer--and they themselves didn't drive Buicks--the sales manager was driving a Mercedes, and the service manager an Audi (when you have to sit, stranded at a dealership as long as I did on so many occasions, you start to notice the staff pulling in and out, and what they drive). I'm sure me, my Buick and my problems with it were nothing more than joke material in the break room to these elitist snobs who looked down on me like salt of the Earth. No interest in helping me, and with GM, I had to call each and every single day (even on weekends and I left messages) to get anything out of customer service. That's when they finally made me a buyback offer. They were sick of my calling every day. It was a joke, and I hired the attorney.

It was so much hassle, but absolutely worth it when it was all said and done. I think you'll be able to put your mind at ease if instead of trying to fix the problem you just abandon it. It also didn't cost anything to retain the attorney as state law requires the manufacturer to pay legal fees. I don't know if that would be your case, but may be worth exploring.
I have to ask you, after all that's happened with your vehicle and the appalling customer service you received, why would you still remain a GM customer, specifically Buick? I will definitely be looking into a buyback program. I'm not sure if we have that in Canada. You brought up some very good points. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order. So many others are having the same problem. I have come to find out that it's not just with the Buick brand but also the Chevy Cruze has similar issues with it's transmission. I'm not sure if they are identical transmissions in both vehicles but I do know they are both 6 speed.

Several long term reviews on the 2011 Buick that I have read, note that the transmission has a lag / hesitation issue. Here is a sample of what I have found. See Here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2010-09-09-test-drive-buick-regal_N.htm

It sounds to me like a software upgrade is what might be needed, however I am far from being a qualified mechanic. I will leave that to those who are.

Detroit, USA
Jessica,

Had I been a USA customer, what would you have recommended? Is there a fix for this particular problem in the USA? I hear people telling me to get "the tune" or the "trifecta" tune. I'm guessing that this would potentially void my warranty?
Hello!

Although I do not have a technical answer to your inquiry, I can tell you the steps in our process. We would open a case for you in our system and arrange an appointment at your dealership for our technicians to make a diagnosis. Once we have a diagnosis, we would alert the proper department of the issue at hand. This department would then work with you as well as the technical team at the dealership for a resolution.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

JCG

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal Turbo (Premium III)
I have to ask you, after all that's happened with your vehicle and the appalling customer service you received, why would you still remain a GM customer, specifically Buick? I will definitely be looking into a buyback program. I'm not sure if we have that in Canada. You brought up some very good points. Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order. So many others are having the same problem. I have come to find out that it's not just with the Buick brand but also the Chevy Cruze has similar issues with it's transmission. I'm not sure if they are identical transmissions in both vehicles but I do know they are both 6 speed.

Several long term reviews on the 2011 Buick that I have read, note that the transmission has a lag / hesitation issue. Here is a sample of what I have found. See Here: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2010-09-09-test-drive-buick-regal_N.htm

It sounds to me like a software upgrade is what might be needed, however I am far from being a qualified mechanic. I will leave that to those who are.
I decided to stay with Buick because I think it's a beautiful line of cars, and truly everyone I know who owns one (or previously owned one) has always had good things to say. I believe the incidents happening to the 2011 Regals are isolated, and happening only to the 2011 models built in Rüsselsheim. The dealer where I returned my car had told me I was his 5th 2011 Regal return in one month, and the finance manager at this dealership told me he had to return his as a lemon, too! His had problems with a smelly headliner and and taillights. They told me there had been no issues they were aware of with 2012 or 2013 models, and GM corroborated this, I took a leap of faith and decided to go with another Regal of a different year.

Regarding customer service, the service department where I was taking my 2011 did everything they could to keep me happy. They were very professional. It was the arrogant service manager who was dragging his feet on getting repair records to GM for the buyback, and a sleazy sales manager who really infuriated me by trying to get me to just outright buy another car rather than help me trade up and out at no cost to me. I couldn't justify two unprofessional people spoiling an entire brand that generally has good reviews and makes attractive cars.

As far as working with GM was concerned, I chalked up that tumultuous experience to a multi-billion dollar company doing what they could do to salvage a profit. Had it been BMW, Toyota, Audi, Chrysler, or any other company, I don't doubt that my experience would have been the same. It's a business, and no matter which of them we choose, they're going to act in their best interest at all times.

As for the first dealer, one bad dealership was another isolated incident. They have little to no interest in selling Buicks as their core product is Cadillacs (should've known, and should've been my first clue not to buy from that dealer), and that's where their sales interests are. Where I returned and repurchased my new Buick, they only sell Buick and GMC. I really felt like I was treated exceptionally well. They treated me like I was buying a Rolls Royce, and the other customers I noticed seemed very happy. They really rolled out the red carpet for me, and that was indeed a comfort after the agony I had been through. Customer service seemed to be their top priority, and in general, the other people I know who own Buicks have all said they had a good experience with sales and service--in fact, there was so much shock when I was telling other Buick owners what I had been through.

Sum total, with my particular case, I think it was all just a typhoon of isolated incidents. The 2011 model year, the dealer I initially chose, etc. Based on just the customer service I received the second time around, not to mention how nice my new car is, I can safely say that I will likely buy another Buick in the future so long as everything goes well.

I have read quite a bit about the transmission lag and hesitation, and again, while I didn't have that particular problem, and I put 33,000 miles on the car, I see that enough people are experiencing the same problem you are, and I am convinced that a recall is very much in order. A class action suit is debatable unless your Regal is doing what mine did---presenting a ton of problems cropping up all over the place to the point where it's at the service department more than it's in your driveway. Mine wasn't just one big problem (like transmission lag); rather, it was a myriad of little problems all over the place--brake pads prematurely wearing, steering gear adjustments, bad belt tensioners, loose chains, faulty wiring harnesses for a taillight, trim pieces coming loose, radio buttons sticking, engine noises ranging from buzzing to rattling. I'd say if you, or anyone else, is experience this kind of thing, then a class action suit is in order. Still, if they won't recall for the problem, just ditch it and do a buyback. It will take time, but I'm sure it would alleviate the stress you're going through once it's said and done.

How many miles does your car have?

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
Hello!

Although I do not have a technical answer to your inquiry, I can tell you the steps in our process. We would open a case for you in our system and arrange an appointment at your dealership for our technicians to make a diagnosis. Once we have a diagnosis, we would alert the proper department of the issue at hand. This department would then work with you as well as the technical team at the dealership for a resolution.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care
So to sum things up, you just initiate a dialog between the customer and GM.

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
JCG,

I currently have 15,456km or 9603 miles on my 2011 Regal. I believe it was built in Russelsheim. To date, I have had my catalytic converter replaced as defective (only smells like rotten eggs once in a while now), moisture in ALL light lenses, the transmission lag / hesitation, engine whine when the A/C is on under acceleration, and now most recently a chugging or rough idle at stop lights. Those are the issues I have had with this vehicle thus far.

vipervenom

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
Yes, we are the liaison.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

So, quick update everyone. Long story short, GM says the rough idle and hesitation/lag of the transmission is "normal operation" for my regal. Wow! Great news! Glad to know it was just all in my head. They couldn't replicate the problem either and refused to let me drive the vehicle with the tech. Needless to say, GM has lost my business going forward.