2011 Buick Regal CXL Automatic Transmission Lag/Hesitation

Detroit, USA
So, quick update everyone. Long story short, GM says the rough idle and hesitation/lag of the transmission is "normal operation" for my regal. Wow! Great news! Glad to know it was just all in my head. They couldn't replicate the problem either and refused to let me drive the vehicle with the tech. Needless to say, GM has lost my business going forward.
Thank you for the update. I am truly sorry to hear this. We appreciate the feedback.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4L
Is the trifecta tune available for non-turbo models? My Regal doesn't have a turbo.
I second this; my 2011 CXL is the non-turbo 2.4. If I can obtain a bit more power for open road situations, and yet improve the driving characteristics of the car and get (as someone has said here) better fuel mileage, I'd be interested in a tune.

vipervenom

St. Catharines, ON, Canada
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
First off, let me apologize for reviving an old thread but it might be worth your while if you are experiencing the same or similar issues I had. I won't start from the beginning because you can read the thread for the story. The conclusion to this horrific mess is that I got rid of my Buick Regal by transferring the lease to someone else. After the dealership said they "fixed everything" that was wrong with the vehicle I got out of the lease with 6 months to go. There was a notice I received on the vehicle for something to so with the timing chain and the finish wearing off of it and allowing raw fuel into the crankcase. Once that was fixed my rotten egg smell went away. I had that problem from day 1. The dealer didn't want to do the work because they said it wasn't the problem I was having with the vehicle. After lengthy discussions with management at the dealership and GM Canada, they reluctantly agreed to complete the repairs. After that, the rotten egg smell was gone! One problem fixed. So after 3 years of ownership they managed to solve that problem. Fantastic tech skills at that dealership (sarc).

So on to the reason I created this thread. The transmission. After I got rid of the vehicle with 6 months to go on the lease, the new owner (an elderly man) told me that the transmission suffered "catastrophic failure" with 2 weeks to go on the remainder of the lease. It left him stranded 3 hours from home. He had it towed to the dealership and left it there. SURPRISE GM!!!!!! I TOLD YOU SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION!!! Just because there are no error codes or idiot lights illuminated on the dash doesn't mean there is nothing wrong when the customer is experiencing problems. Listen to your customers!! Let them drive with the tech so the tech knows EXACTLY what the customer is experiencing and then you might be able to fix the problem before it becomes a major issue.

If anyone is experiencing anything remotely close to what I was experiencing, I urge you to get it looked at and possibly have the transmission replaced at GM's expense. You could also consider legal action to recoup some of your payments if not all of them as this instance was COMPLETE NEGLIGENCE on the part of the dealership. If you have lemon laws where you live, please look into them. Don't let GM get away with this

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick
As a quality engineer at GM, it's very frustrating to hear stories like this from customers that are let down on the dealership level. There are a lot of people at the Plant level and throughout the organization that work very hard every day to ensure and improve quality, and that all goes out the window in a situation like this.

I really don't even understand why dealers would hesitate or question repairs, because warranty ultimately still gets them and their tech paid, and keeps the customer as happy as one can be when a problem arises. I know it's sometimes hard to replicate or experience a condition, but when in doubt they should just replace.

The other frustrating thing is that we retrieve parts from warranty so they can be analysed, either at the plant level or by the supplier, for failure mode so if there is an issue it can be resolved. When a dealer lets something like this happen, there's likely very little "evidence" left behind, like measurements or clearances.

Mackiesback

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4 Auto.
First off, let me apologize for reviving an old thread but it might be worth your while if you are experiencing the same or similar issues I had. I won't start from the beginning because you can read the thread for the story. The conclusion to this horrific mess is that I got rid of my Buick Regal by transferring the lease to someone else. After the dealership said they "fixed everything" that was wrong with the vehicle I got out of the lease with 6 months to go. There was a notice I received on the vehicle for something to so with the timing chain and the finish wearing off of it and allowing raw fuel into the crankcase. Once that was fixed my rotten egg smell went away. I had that problem from day 1. The dealer didn't want to do the work because they said it wasn't the problem I was having with the vehicle. After lengthy discussions with management at the dealership and GM Canada, they reluctantly agreed to complete the repairs. After that, the rotten egg smell was gone! One problem fixed. So after 3 years of ownership they managed to solve that problem. Fantastic tech skills at that dealership (sarc).

So on to the reason I created this thread. The transmission. After I got rid of the vehicle with 6 months to go on the lease, the new owner (an elderly man) told me that the transmission suffered "catastrophic failure" with 2 weeks to go on the remainder of the lease. It left him stranded 3 hours from home. He had it towed to the dealership and left it there. SURPRISE GM!!!!!! I TOLD YOU SOMETHING WAS WRONG WITH THE TRANSMISSION!!! Just because there are no error codes or idiot lights illuminated on the dash doesn't mean there is nothing wrong when the customer is experiencing problems. Listen to your customers!! Let them drive with the tech so the tech knows EXACTLY what the customer is experiencing and then you might be able to fix the problem before it becomes a major issue.

If anyone is experiencing anything remotely close to what I was experiencing, I urge you to get it looked at and possibly have the transmission replaced at GM's expense. You could also consider legal action to recoup some of your payments if not all of them as this instance was COMPLETE NEGLIGENCE on the part of the dealership. If you have lemon laws where you live, please look into them. Don't let GM get away with this
Thanks for the update, interesting to read the conclusion. What are you driving now?

As a quality engineer at GM, it's very frustrating to hear stories like this from customers that are let down on the dealership level. There are a lot of people at the Plant level and throughout the organization that work very hard every day to ensure and improve quality, and that all goes out the window in a situation like this.

I really don't even understand why dealers would hesitate or question repairs, because warranty ultimately still gets them and their tech paid, and keeps the customer as happy as one can be when a problem arises. I know it's sometimes hard to replicate or experience a condition, but when in doubt they should just replace.

The other frustrating thing is that we retrieve parts from warranty so they can be analysed, either at the plant level or by the supplier, for failure mode so if there is an issue it can be resolved. When a dealer lets something like this happen, there's likely very little "evidence" left behind, like measurements or clearances.
What the factory "pays" their techs for warranty work is the reason I retired from being a GM dealership tech at the ripe old age of 23 almost 35 years ago. Entire console replacement on an 84 Firebird paid 2/10ths of an hour, and that is for a part that did not have cutouts for the power window switches, which I had to make with a Dremel tool. This was not an exception. The only thing you got paid fairly on was wiring issues. There was no book time for that. If there was an actual customer pay job like a brake job, the techs were like piranhas in a feeding frenzy to get it, trying to make up for the raping that was warranty work. I hope it has changed, or at the very least, the techs are getting more customer pay jobs.

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the update, interesting to read the conclusion. What are you driving now?

What the factory "pays" their techs for warranty work is the reason I retired from being a GM dealership tech at the ripe old age of 23 almost 35 years ago. Entire console replacement on an 84 Firebird paid 2/10ths of an hour, and that is for a part that did not have cutouts for the power window switches, which I had to make with a Dremel tool. This was not an exception. The only thing you got paid fairly on was wiring issues. There was no book time for that. If there was an actual customer pay job like a brake job, the techs were like piranhas in a feeding frenzy to get it, trying to make up for the raping that was warranty work. I hope it has changed, or at the very least, the techs are getting more customer pay jobs.
That's pretty brutal! I'd hope that things have improved a lot since then, but I do know most dealers pay less for warranty than customer pay still, which I've never understood. I know some local dealers are even unionized, although I'm not sure how much they helps. The plant is unionized as well, but still has to deal with a lot of cutbacks and reductions from corporate.

I have friends that work at various brand's dealers, and in general they seem happy with the "bigger" warranty jobs like trannies and engines, and less so with things like control arms.

vipervenom

St. Catharines, ON, Canada
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL

I am currently driving a 2014 Genesis Coupe. It's a blast to drive and I haven't had any issues with it to date. My wife drove an Elantra while I was driving my Buick and she had no trouble with it. At this point in my life I'm looking for reliable transportation that's fun to drive. I'm happy to say I found that in my Genesis. I do miss all the luxury that came with the Buick but that's it. Here's to many years of happy safe driving to all, no matter what you're driving.

Cheers!

Mackiesback

St. Paul, MN
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4 Auto.
That's pretty brutal! I'd hope that things have improved a lot since then, but I do know most dealers pay less for warranty than customer pay still, which I've never understood. I know some local dealers are even unionized, although I'm not sure how much they helps. The plant is unionized as well, but still has to deal with a lot of cutbacks and reductions from corporate.

I have friends that work at various brand's dealers, and in general they seem happy with the "bigger" warranty jobs like trannies and engines, and less so with things like control arms.
Dealers don't pay for the warranty work, manufacturers do. I can see how we got to where we were, many techs and dealerships were ripping off the manufacturers with fake or inflated warranty claims. Unfortunately, the response was to just cut the hours that a job would pay rather than go after the offenders. It made it impossible for an honest tech to get paid for 40 hours, even though he worked for 40 hours.

I also handled all the new car prep work at the dealer I worked in. On occasion, we would find something that would pay better than the time it actually took. There was an issue with a run of J2000s. The heater controls didn't work from new. After spending 3 hours digging around, I discovered that the factory did not make a vacuum line connection under the passenger side carpet. While the warranty only paid 1.5 hours for my 3 hours of work, once I discovered the cause, I found a way to get it fixed in far less than 1.5 hours. Since there was a run of about 40 defective cars that we got, we took all the extra hours I earned and spread them around to the other techs that were getting screwed. There was another run of J2000s when they switched to the OHC engine where the timing belt was too loose. Same deal.

It was just the way things worked then. I hope it is better now.

Slshows

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL
As far as the safety issue goes, mine is completely bogging when i let off the gas and coast for a second and then back on the gas. That's a safety issue because the person behind me (if following too close) will not see any brake lights and would expect that I would keep my forward momentum, but with the bogging and hesitation it quickly becomes a hazard for being rear ended, hence the safety issue.

What are you referring to when you reference a "PI"? And if it addresses the issue, is there a known repair for this torque management issue?
Mine does the same. 2011 regal cxl, no turbo. It is the only problem I have with the car. I had spark plugs changed and some sensors replaced. It helped with another issue i had with the car nearly stalling, but not this hesitation issue.

It's frightening. I've always had 6 cyl cars, and this makes me hesitant to ever get another 4 cyl.