• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2011 Buick Regal CXL Transmission

je24fan62

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just took the car into Buick dealership & was told that the Transmission is broke. Cause of failure ? A Wave plate. I've read lots of issues with this car transmission and according to the Conner at Buick, Buick has known this for awhile. Unfortunately the warranty ran out by 3 years, and I'm under 5,000 for the 100,000 mile warranty. I still owe on the car ( bought used) and buick wants to charge me $5,500 for a remanufactured, parts and labor installed. I want someone from Buick to read this and reply ! Why should I pay $6000 for a transmission on a 4,000 car when BUICK KNEW ABOUT THE ISSUE buy declined to offer us owners any special warranty coverage ? I cant afford $6000. Come on Buick. Help me out. Send private message.

Dirt

GA
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore, 2012 Buick Regal GS, Other cars:1999 Ferrari 360,2001 Corvette Z06,2005 Silverado
Just took the car into Buick dealership & was told that the Transmission is broke. Cause of failure ? A Wave plate. I've read lots of issues with this car transmission and according to the Conner at Buick, Buick has known this for awhile. Unfortunately the warranty ran out by 3 years, and I'm under 5,000 for the 100,000 mile warranty. I still owe on the car ( bought used) and buick wants to charge me $5,500 for a remanufactured, parts and labor installed. I want someone from Buick to read this and reply ! Why should I pay $6000 for a transmission on a 4,000 car when BUICK KNEW ABOUT THE ISSUE buy declined to offer us owners any special warranty coverage ? I cant afford $6000. Come on Buick. Help me out. Send private message.
If there is no chance at warranty replacement, screw the dealer. ZERO reason to pay dealer prices unless absolutely necessary. This goes for any car. This is a known issue but I doubt you'll get much help from GM for an 8 year old car (even though coverage was extended to 120k on cars up to 2009)...so I would call around to Aamco or indy transmission shops, most of whom are probably aware of the issue, can probably get it rebuilt for thousands less. Either that or get a good used one and have a place install it...but you may be looking at the same problem down the road if you keep the car.

Last case is sell it as is for a few grand to someone who has a "fix n flip", cut your losses and get a new car. This is why I drive manuals.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Transmission shop or a junkyard. Transmission should be pretty easy to pull on these if you go the used route. If you’re able to do it yourself and have a pull a part you can probably get it fixed for less than $500.

je24fan62

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Dealer isn't going to do the Job. I'm having a Auto Shop do it instead. Got a remanufactured transmission with 3 yr 100000 mile warranty for $2000 less. GM doesn't give a crap. If they did, they would of spoke up on here. The maintenance service schedule they tell us to do, is wrong. Mechanic said it should be sooner and more often. They put these cars together with cheap parts but expect you to pay out the A.. to get repaired.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
This is why I always buy an extended warranty on my used cars. With so many expensive gadgets on cars these days, if something fails it will cost a lot of money to get it fixed.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
. . . The maintenance service schedule they tell us to do, is wrong. Mechanic said it should be sooner and more often. . . .
No fluid is "lifetime," in my opinion, and in something as complex as a transmission, if there is a service time/mileage, I halve it. Usualy 50K miles seems like a good figure if the manual says lifetime or 100K intervals. If the manufacturer says 60K miles, then 30-35K is when I'd want to have it done.

MKz2017PremII

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal Premium II
Does your 2011 have a dipstick to check the Trans fluid, or is your trans system sealed? My 2017 (which should be the same as your 2011) has a sealed system and can't be checked...that makes me nervous. I plan to have my trans fully serviced at between 20k to 25k miles, regardless. I don't even know if there's fluid in there now or how much. Good luck w your fix!

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Does your 2011 have a dipstick to check the Trans fluid, or is your trans system sealed? My 2017 (which should be the same as your 2011) has a sealed system and can't be checked...that makes me nervous. I plan to have my trans fully serviced at between 20k to 25k miles, regardless. I don't even know if there's fluid in there now or how much. Good luck w your fix!
Open your hood and look again. The dipstick is attached to the fill cap.