2011 Enclave with seized Engine

ccm1092

Clayton, NC
2011 Enclave
I purchased a 2011 Enclave with 120k ish miles on it September of last year, since then I have replaced the front wheel hubs, injectors, coil packs, spark plugs, and as of this week my engine has now siezed. I still owe 8600 on the car and I am now at a huge loss and I have no vehicle. This was my first big purchase after going full time last year and I am beyond frustrated. I take good care of my stuff and the vehicle only has 127k miles on it. I have given it 2 oil changes in the time that I have had it full synthetic oil.

I was pulling out of work monday and my car just shut off. My mechanic originally thought it was the battery we put a new one in but when he did that it fried the starter and upon further investigation the engine has now locked up.
Any advice on what I should do would be amazing.
Thanks,
Christopher

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
The term locked up can mean a lot of things. Your mechanic has to determine if a timing chain broke and the valves are hitting a piston, did the main or rod bearings fail, etc. He then has to determine whether a repair versus a used engine is the route you have to take. He should know this if he is a qualified technician.

ccm1092

Clayton, NC
2011 Enclave
The term locked up can mean a lot of things. Your mechanic has to determine if a timing chain broke and the valves are hitting a piston, did the main or rod bearings fail, etc. He then has to determine whether a repair versus a used engine is the route you have to take. He should know this if he is a qualified technician.
Sorry I should have been more specific.
So, my mechanic tried to turn the engine manually and it would not budge. He looked at the oil and didn't see anything specifically but he did not check the pan as I am about broke due to the amount of issues I have had at this point. He thinks the vehicle lost oil pressure, even though when Onstar ran the diag it gave no errors, and caused a bearing in the engine to go. But without delving into the engine truly I won't know with 100% certainty what the issue is. If you have any thoughts or suggestions I am open to hearing what you think.

luke_dubs

Macedonia, Ohio
2013 Buick Regal GS
I think that you shouldn't have bought this Enclave, considering the mileage and that GM didn't have all the kinks worked out at that point. Not to mention the 3.6 V6 didn't necessarily have its timing chain kinks worked out at that point yet; but that's not the issue here.

If you still owe that much on it, you're better off putting a used engine in (with under 100k miles if possible) and continuing to drive it until you pay it off. And obviously you'd have to see how it lost oil pressure, if that's what happened.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
Sorry I should have been more specific.
So, my mechanic tried to turn the engine manually and it would not budge. He looked at the oil and didn't see anything specifically but he did not check the pan as I am about broke due to the amount of issues I have had at this point. He thinks the vehicle lost oil pressure, even though when Onstar ran the diag it gave no errors, and caused a bearing in the engine to go. But without delving into the engine truly I won't know with 100% certainty what the issue is. If you have any thoughts or suggestions I am open to hearing what you think.
You are still not specific because your mechanic did not determine why he cannt turn the engine over.
Same choices, what is cheaper a repair or replacement.

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
I had an 09 Traverse LTZ that a valve spring broke at 35000 miles. It had the same 3.6 that you are running.It was repaired under extended warranty. I can't say that is what is wrong with yours, just something else to look for. It did act the same as you described. Did it throw a light at the time it quite?

ccm1092

Clayton, NC
2011 Enclave
You are still not specific because your mechanic did not determine why he cannt turn the engine over.
Same choices, what is cheaper a repair or replacement.
Without delving into the engine which I do not have the funds for I won't truly know.

I had an 09 Traverse LTZ that a valve spring broke at 35000 miles. It had the same 3.6 that you are running.It was repaired under extended warranty. I can't say that is what is wrong with yours, just something else to look for. It did act the same as you described. Did it throw a light at the time it quite?
Nope, no lights thrown when it stopped. Called onstar they said everything was ok.

I think that you shouldn't have bought this Enclave, considering the mileage and that GM didn't have all the kinks worked out at that point. Not to mention the 3.6 V6 didn't necessarily have its timing chain kinks worked out at that point yet; but that's not the issue here.

If you still owe that much on it, you're better off putting a used engine in (with under 100k miles if possible) and continuing to drive it until you pay it off. And obviously you'd have to see how it lost oil pressure, if that's what happened.
I have also put $4,500 into the car with the other stuff I have done which is why I don't think it is worth it. With the cost of the engine and the labor it simply doesn't seem worth it to put 6-7k additional into a car that might have other issues. I thought I did more research but clearly I did not do enough sadly :(

Thanks for all the input all it is much appreciated. I have seen several posts about a potential class action but no links to anything in depth has anything been filed at the moment?

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
Where are you coming up with 6k to 7k to put in a used engine?

ccm1092

Clayton, NC
2011 Enclave
Did you google 2011 enclave used engine, I dont see those type of prices and did you call any local salvage yards.
So I would be looking at 2-3k for a used engine that I have no idea the condition of if I went to a salvage yard I was already feeling transmission issues and or torque converter issues if it is one of those then add another 2-3k on top of that or more depending on labor. That is where I get my numbers from.

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
So if none of the suggestions given to you, find out what is wrong with the engine and depending on cost repair it, or replace the engine, do not appeal to you, you have run out of choices.

Dirt

GA
16 Encore, (2) 12 Regal GS's, 99 Ferrari 360, 01 Chevy Corvette Z06, 05 Chevy Silverado
So if none of the suggestions given to you, find out what is wrong with the engine and depending on cost repair it, or replace the engine, do not appeal to you, you have run out of choices.
Yeah this. You're in denial. This is going to take money no matter what. Do some research to maybe save a few bucks, but you are going to have to figure this out and come up with the cash...or credit Good luck.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!