2011 Lacrosse Armrest lightbulb

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I need to replace a burnt out bulb in my armrest. I pulled out the light connector and it's a silver metal box around the light reflecting unit. I was able to get the item open and pulled out the bulb. It says 12V 1.5W. I can't find anything like this at AutoZone.

I did check and I have 12V at the wiring harness connector clip, so it's definitely getting power.

Any idea, other than the dealership where to get this light bulb? Do I need to buy the entire light assembly or can I just purchase the light bulb?

Thanks,
Rodeman

tkarrde81

Detroit
Buick Ownership
Buick Park Ave Ultra...soon 2011 LaCrosse!
Rodeman,

I actually did replace this bulb with a bright LED bulb. I remember it was tight and tricky taking it out...in fact, I accidentally shorted the leads on the bulb and it reset the interior light's relay for a few minutes. I believe it was a #194 miniature wedge equivalent.

~D

rodeman

Phoenix
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
This is the strangest thing I've ever seen. When I remove the light fixture from the 2 pin wiring harness and check the voltage with my volt meter, I see 12 volts, just like I should. So that leads me to believe the bulb is bad. So I test the bulb for continuity and i get tone on my DMM showing the filament is not damaged.

So I put the bulb back in and plug the assembly back in and there is no light still. I then unplug the assembly again and remove the bulb and plug the assembly in again. By using the dmm I check voltage across the metal contacts on the assembly and I have 12 volts, as expected. I even tested a brand new bulb the dealership gave me thinking my old one was burnt out.

So I put the bulb in again and again, no light. So I leave the bulb in the assembly and check the voltage just north of the point where the wiring harness connects to the assembly. And, there is no voltage.

What I can't figure out is, why would the bulb cause the voltage to drop to zero. I thought maybe there is an electronic fuse that's causing the problem. If anyone has any thoughts on why the light would not come on where there is definitely power to the wiring harness connector and in the assembly, I'd love to hear it. i'm completely lost on this one.

Thanks!

HMTJ6821

Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse 2016
A resistance in the power lead would allow the open circuit voltage to read full voltage but, when the low resistance of the bulb is re-installed, the voltage drop would for the most part occur at the resistance in the power lead.

This can be a corroded connection (even in the ground connection), a nicked wire, or an almost blown fuse. I recommend that you measure the voltage of the positive lead at the bulb with the bulb installed in reference to a chassis ground—not the other side of the bulb. If this is the normal 12 volts, then also measure the ground lead at the bulb to the same chassis ground.

This will tell you if the fault is in the power lead or in the ground lead.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!