2011 Lacrosse CXL Radio Reboots/Resets

Booster1

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse
Just bought this car for my daughter before she goes off to college. It has 50000 miles and she indicated that the radio as well as the instrumentation had appeared to reset/reboot while she was driving it. I then drove it around yesterday to see if I could reproduce the issue. I drove it for awhile and after I had stopped and restarted the car and drove a few miles the problem appeared with the radio. It appears as if the radio is trying to reboot and it will repeat this cycle randomly while driving. It doesn't happen when driving over bumpy surfaces. The radio is like the one in the attached photo. radio.png

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
From your description a guess would be a bad electrical connection but whether external or internal to the radio is hard to say, You mention instrumentation also, what exactly happens to the instruments?

Booster1

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse
From your description a guess would be a bad electrical connection but whether external or internal to the radio is hard to say, You mention instrumentation also, what exactly happens to the instruments?
The gauges reset as if the car had just been started and the DIC screen goes black and restarts.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You may want to check the battery and cables just to eliminate a possible problem.

Booster1

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse
You may want to check the battery and cables just to eliminate a possible problem.
Checked the battery cables and didn't find anything loose. I loosened and tightened them again to make sure they were making good contact. I did this for the fused connections as well.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I mentioned earlier to check the battery itself, if a battery is coming to the end of life it may cause the type of issues you described with electrical items.

Booster1

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse
I mentioned earlier to check the battery itself, if a battery is coming to the end of life it may cause the type of issues you described with electrical items.
I will check the battery but I have a feeling that it is the original battery. The car is 8 years old and I can't find any indicator that the battery has ever been replaced. In fact, the battery appears to be original. It has no brand markings on it, only a barcode label on one side of it.

I've attach the Carfax link here as well. See if there is anything that stands out as odd.
CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2011 BUICK LACROSSE CXL: 1G4GC5ED6BF164749

I also noticed that the interior dome light flickers when the car is idling and in park but when I press on the accelerator the flickering stops.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Other than basic information, water pump is the only item that seems a little early for replacement. Other items listed don't really say if it was a customer problem or just a dealer provided service / profit add on.

If nothing is indicated on the battery and not seeing anything in the service history it's probably at the point of replacement or at least get the battery and charging system checked out. 3-5 years on average battery life, lots of elements involved so not a absolute, so if it's OEM it's time to replace it.

Booster1

Buick Ownership
2011 Lacrosse
I have an update to this issue. I had a feeling that the altenator was causing the issue, since it had been replaced already, so I connected a 2nd voltmeter wired directly to the battery terminals. When driving, I would monitor the 2nd voltmeter as well as the voltmeter in the DIC to monitor the alternator output as well as what the BCM was measuring. When the issue occurred, the voltage on both voltmeters would drop down to 12.2V and hover around there. During this time the radio would reboot, the dash lights would go out and sometimes the DIC would drop out. Both voltmeters began to fluctuate between 12.2 and 15.5V independently of each other. The 2nd voltmeter then settled to 12.5V and the DIC voltmeter was fluctuating between 12.2 and 15.5V. It appears as if rain may exacerbate the issue. It rarely happens when the weather is dry but occurs frequently when it rains. I also verified the battery is about 2 years old. I have a feeling that the culprit lies somewhere within the Electrical Power Management System as outlined in this link: GM charging system problems — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice
Any ideas?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It may be doing some checking that the alternator is good or at least check the wiring is clean and correctly tighten, also check the other ends of the battery cables are clean and secure as it's sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. Unfortunately on the carfax report it doesn't say why the service was done or if it was truly the problem. Has the battery been checked or replaced?