• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2011 LaCrosse lost all audio

corvette99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
2011 Buick LaCrosse --- last 10 VIN are D7BF151941----Lost all audio the other day, suddenly.....no radio sound (radio and Nav screens video function fine), no nav sound, no turn signal click, no back up alert, no blue tooth cell phone audio etc etc. Then noticed on next day upon restart that it all worked for a few seconds, then all of it quit again. Same cycle repeats, so no audio when driving. Rear speakers crackle by themselves when car is off, but doors are opened. No codes are found with my hobbyist-level code reader. Have not found a TSB on this problem....is there one? Have seen similar problem reported on one or two other GM cars, but not seem root cause of failure. Any ideas/suggested diagnostics at home before making the expensive appointment?

corvette99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I had the same thing happen to my '11 last fall. Take it into your dealer. They'll update the software for you.
Thanks CarbonBlack for the suggestion, but I had it in to Dealer this year Jan 12, 2015 for Recall # PB-13322 ("Navigation Radio loss Recall"- Also described as "General Motors: see document search button for owner letter. Some vehicles may experience a loss of radio station presets, time shift malfunction (link), clock inaccuracy, navigation route resets, will need reprogramming radio control mod". They did reprogram it they said, but with great difficulty. Was taking so long they finally sent me home in a loaner vehicle. They ended up calling GM Tech Line and TAC ....case #2240027, and several hours later claimed it was successfully reprogrammed and operated as designed. It had been working fine before they worked on it, and after they worked on it, until this past week 5 months later.

So I am unsure if your problem and resolution is the same as mine or not? I hope so since software update should be much cheaper than a hardware replacement.

1) Did you lose all the same audio stuff I did, as listed in my original post, or was it different?

2) Did yours suddenly quit completely, or was it intermittent at all, with partial/short duration working again?

Thanks for your help, and any others I hope chime in.

Detroit, USA
Hello corvette99,

I can definitely understand how the loss of sound in your LaCrosse would be concerning, and I apologize for any inconvenience it has caused. I know you are seeking some advice from the forum before you proceed, but if you end up working with the dealership I would be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance. If you are interested, please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and your personal contact information.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Buick Customer Care

CarbonBlackCXS

Same symptoms as yours. When the problem occurred I just happened to be within a block of the dealership so I stopped in and showed them the problem. I left the car running, we went in and wrote up the work order and made an appointment for the next day. By the time I got back into the car everything was working again. They did the software update and all is fine. They made no mention of it being difficult.

I do remember getting a radio recall letter from GM maybe a month later. I stopped in at the dealership as it looked familiar and was told it was for the software update that was just done. I didn't keep the letter so I can't look up the recall details but the symptoms in the letter described pretty much the same symptoms as what happened with my car.

corvette99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks CarbonBlack.....that helps.
I just now made the appointment at the dealer for this coming Monday, and alerted them to you and others having same problem, and that the software update fixed yours, so imagine that'll be one of their 1st steps to try.

FYI, the last time they did the SW update and had trouble, they also did a battery disconnect for 5 minutes, to reset things. I did that too this morning (10 minutes), but no change in the problem.....it occurs about 15 seconds after a restart and "no-audio" persists until the next restart.

corvette99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
No, factory battery only lasted 2 1/2 years, and I replaced it later in 2013 with a high level one, and car generally gets used every day or couple days or so. Haven't noticed any degraded battery symptoms.

Still seems odd to me that at restart it all works for 5 to 25 seconds, then the sound quits.

Any and all other ideas are appreciated. I gotta believe this exact problem has happened to numerous others, yet I've not found much discussion anywhere......if you or others have other forums or links where you see it being discussed, please add them to this discussion.
Thanks

corvette99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I took the LaCrosse in to the dealer, showed the mechanic what was going on, he then spent time doing diagnosis and came back an hour later saying that the Radio amplifier showed up as bad, no output. The customer rep then worked up an estimate of about $550 for the part and labor and would take 3 days to get the part. I was skeptical of the diagnosis since the audio actually ran for 5 to 25 seconds (before failing) after each restart, so was hesitant to spend the $500 and then maybe only finding out it wasn't the Radio Amplifier, and then having to move on to the next layer of the expensive onion. So I left the dealer telling them to hold off for a day or two while I further looked into it. They were gracious enough to give me the part number for the Amp. So I got home and looked up that part, found I could buy the new one myself for about $250 or less, and that it was located in the trunk and easy to get to and unplug. I also looked for a used part and found one about 5 miles away at a salvage yard for $75. Decided that since I was skeptical of the diagnosis, that it was better to spend the $75 to try it than the $500 at dealer to try it, so got the salvage part and voila, it actually solved the audio problem. So it had nothing to do with software or bad connections, rather really was just the Radio Amp, like the $65 dealer's diagnosis told me. I'm very happy now, and of course have much higher confidence in the mechanic's diagnosis capability, and I ended up spending less than $150, whereas I'd been concerned I might have to replace the whole radio/Nav system for $2500 .

I still appreciate CarbonBlack's replies and ideas, it's always good to have a 2nd person to discuss problems with.

CarbonBlackCXS

I guess a hardware problem makes sense. You said it would turn off after a few seconds of use which would suggest the heat generated when the amp is powered up is causing an open circuit to develop somewhere.

Whatever happened I'm glad to hear you got the problem sorted out and were able to save some money too. A win win for sure. Sharing your findings will no doubt help others in ways you'll never know so thanks for keeping everyone updated.

igorsh

Buick Ownership
Buick
If you have premium sound H/K could be your amplifier is located on the right side in the trunk. Had same issue got a different amp on ebay for 80 bucks everything work like a charm after that

corvette99

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes, as I had posted June 17th, the radio amplifier in the trunk was in fact the culprit, and the $75 part from local salvage yard fixed it. Cheaper than the $500 dealer repair....we'll see how long it lasts. Sounds like yours was the same problem and solution- radio amplifier . Thanks for sharing your story too.

Turbo Buick Badge