2011 Lacrosse Trunk Mysteriously Opens

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
I have locked my 2011 Lacrosse, went inside, and later came out to find my trunk wide open on several occasions. Luckily it has not been raining nor have I had anything valuable in it when this has happened. I carried it to the dealer today and they ordered a trunk release switch for it. I don't see how this switch would cause the trunk to open by itself when the car is locked as depressing this switch (above the license plate) when the car is locked will not open the trunk. The remote does not have a delay on it to open the trunk when the button is depressed but it is stiff so it doesn't seem likely that the problem is that the button is being accidently depressed. I still think that that the button on the remote should have at least a 2 second delay (holding the button in for 2 seconds) to open the trunk. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Last edited:

Tduke57

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have had this happen 2-3 times so far. I've attributed it to being indoors but in close enough proximity to the car to have the fob trunk release button depress while in my pocket against some other object and pop it open. It's the only thing I can think of as the transmitter seems to have a pretty good range.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
That just may be the problem. As I stated the trunk release under the license plate will not open the trunk when the car is locked. So why replace that switch and why doesn't Buick program a delay for the remote? I have seen other cars where you have to hold the button in for a couple of seconds.

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
The trunk release switches do fail and could cause unwanted opening of the trunk but your correct, only if the vehicle is unlocked.
The dealer may suspect your not actually locking the car everytime and the switch is the culprit.
Otherwise the only other real possibility is unwanted activation while in pocket.
FYI, we always lock the doors using the thumb on the outside handle method. Wife always has fob in her purse and it rarely sees daylight.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
The car was locked each time. I don't have the option of not using the fob. The key and fob are made together (flip out key) and I have to use the fob to unlock the car and the key to start it. Can't Buick program a delay for the trunk release?

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
My mistake thinking you had pushbutton start......I'm sure they could program in a delay but they'd probably get the same amount of complaints from people tired of holding the button down! I think a better FOB button design is the real solution but we are unlikely to see that. On my other vehicle I have an aftermarket alarm/remote start system with a FOB design so poor I activate the alarm every time I sit down with the transmitter in my pocket......talk about annoying!

Detroit, USA
I am sorry to hear about your experiences but and glad to you are working with your local dealer towards resolution. I have noticed your concern with the fix. Please keep me posted on your progress with the dealer as well if this seems to resolve the concern. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

pogster

Alberta
I'd be one of the guys complaining about having to hold down the button. The remote start on my other car is that way and I hate it.

As for the switch it could very well be faulty.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Tricia, Thanks for your reply but I would appreciate it if you could find out if a delay could be programmed so that the trunk release button on the remote would have to be held in for a couple of seconds to open the trunk. The service department assistant told me that she didn't know. I have seen that others have noted that this is an issue (this thread and one in the regal forum) that needs to be addressed. I can see how it could happen as I have set off panic button with the fob in my pocket. I certainly don't want the trunk to be open without my knowledge as it could rain in the trunk or valuables could be stolen.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Tricia, Thanks for your interest in my problem. I have looked at the wiring diagram and a faulty touchpad at the trunk would not cause the trunk to open with the doors locked. I will PM you.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Tricia, Thanks for your reply - looks like I am out of luck. Please check to see if the remote trunk release function can be programmed to only open the trunk when the doors are unlocked or if it can be disabled. If not I will seriously be looking for another car. I don't want my trunk to be wide open without knowing about it. I haven't had this trouble with any other car that I have owned.

taverg03

Buick Ownership
Buick
Tricia, Thanks for your reply - looks like I am out of luck. Please check to see if the remote trunk release function can be programmed to only open the trunk when the doors are unlocked or if it can be disabled. If not I will seriously be looking for another car. I don't want my trunk to be wide open without knowing about it. I haven't had this trouble with any other car that I have owned.
On my '11 CXS, if the doors are locked and you have the FOB on you, my experience is the trunk release when pressed at the trunk will open it. If you don't have the FOB and the doors are locked, then depressing the release won't open it.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
I am working with Buick Customer Service about this. The dealer is supposed to replace the touchpad above the license plate monday. I don't see how this can be the problem as this switch will not open the trunk unless the doors are unlocked.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Well the dealer replaced the touchpad on the trunk today even though it is not possible that this switch going bad would cause the trunk to open with the doors locked. I am not happy with the lack of response from Buick Customer Service.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Still no answer Buick engineers?

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
I'm not trying to minimize your complaint here.....you have a valid concern that effects you but I have to wonder just what you expect to hear from "Buick engineers"?
I'm certain the FOB design interacting with your pocket and it's contents is your issue...requesting a software change on a module that is likely hard-coded to solve that problem is unrealistic.
It's kind of like calling Apple and telling them you want new special software for YOUR IPOD because the volume scrolls too fast for you.
Again, you have a valid problem but I think your expectations for a software solution are too high.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
I'm not trying to minimize your complaint here.....you have a valid concern that effects you but I have to wonder just what you expect to hear from "Buick engineers"?
I'm certain the FOB design interacting with your pocket and it's contents is your issue...requesting a software change on a module that is likely hard-coded to solve that problem is unrealistic.
It's kind of like calling Apple and telling them you want new special software for YOUR IPOD because the volume scrolls too fast for you.
Again, you have a valid problem but I think your expectations for a software solution are too high.
My complaint regarding the sensitivity of the trunk button on the key fob for the 2011 Buick Lacrosse is valid. GM has addressed this same issue in other vehicles for many years now. They have gone so far as to put switches in trunks to prevent the key fob from opening it to significant delays on the key fob switch itself. Someone dropped the ball on this one. If it hasn't happened to you yet does not mean that it won't. Hopefully you will not have anything valuable in the trunk and/or will it be raining. This is a $33,000.00 automobile - not a $200.00 Ipod. I don't think my expectations are too high. Others have the same valid complaint as I.

misterfixit

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
Found this for a Lexus:

Trunk Release
11. Opening the trunk
[FONT=Nobel-Regular,Nobel-Regular][FONT=Nobel-Regular,Nobel-Regular]By pressing on the trunk release button, located on the electronic key, the trunk will open. The release button can be programmed to function as follows: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book]Press button one time to release the trunk (No delay). [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book]Press button two times to release the trunk. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book]Press and hold button for 0.8 seconds to release the trunk. (Standard) [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book][FONT=Nobel-Book,Nobel-Book]The button can be turned off so the trunk cannot be opened using the electronic key.[/FONT][/FONT]

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.