2012 buick regal GS problems

Tonio McCray

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I recently picked up a 2012 Buick regal GS and I love the car but I just ran into a couple of problems. The check engine light came on and I noticed that the cart had no power from the turbo at all. Upon restarting the car the car had turbo power but the engine light was still on. It still cuts the turbo power from time to time and I'm thinking that this might be a serious issue. Had the engine codes checked and they pulled the most recent codes which were
c0035
c0040
c0422
c0800
p0010
p0234
p1101
p0010
A lot of these codes were stored in the history and I was wondering if any of these would cause the turbo to act the way it does. Also when the turbo works and is under acceleration I got a rotten egg smell through the vents can someone please help.

Tonio McCray

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Start with the p0010 code and actuator:

https://buickforums.com/forums/threads/46456-Another-P0010-P0010-quot-A-quot-Camshaft-Position-Actuator-Circuit-Open-Bank-1-a

The loss of power was the exact symptom I received. I'd mess with that first and then move to the others, if they stay around. Replace intake and exhaust.........they will both eventually go an relatively cheap and easy to install.
What part did you exactly replace and how much was it if you dont mind me asking?

afireinside7710

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS AWD
What part did you exactly replace and how much was it if you dont mind me asking?
They are the camshaft position actuator solenoid, and they are about $35 each. Pretty easy to replace too.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
They are the camshaft position actuator solenoid, and they are about $35 each. Pretty easy to replace too.
Ordered the AC Delco parts (OEM GM) off Rockauto. They arrive on Monday, so won't have a chance to replace till then. Looks very easy.

On my other thread, mention of possibly clogging the mesh in them and oil issues.....so check your oil also. With the other codes, chance something went south and got metal etc in oil.....

Tonio McCray

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I appreciate the help, if Im not mistaken they are under the plastic engine cover for both the intake and exhaust? Also would this be the cause of inconsistent boost

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I appreciate the help, if Im not mistaken they are under the plastic engine cover for both the intake and exhaust? Also would this be the cause of inconsistent boost
Had to drive 30 miles and felt like I had no boost at times and car started bogging with too much go pedal. The C codes are related to several systems and electrical issues......so no promises this is the issue if you have something at the ECM or general electrical problem. Aim cheap and move from there.

Yes, under the plastic cover and looks like you need to remove the clamps, one under and other left side, that connects to it. Monday or Tuesday I'll do the change......doesn't look bad at all. I can probably have done under warranty.....but want both replaced to avoid the issue for another 50k.

EnderWiggin

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Check your battery too, mine had horrible corrosion on the Positive Terminal, so bad that I had to replace it and the breakers mounted on top.

dbruce

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Check your battery too, mine had horrible corrosion on the Positive Terminal, so bad that I had to replace it and the breakers mounted on top.
Above is a basic check. Today's cars can go haywire when power is reduced. Had my battery slowly degrade and it finally toasted near my house; amazingly car seemed to cut power to everything to allow a start.....but driving back I had limited functionality on stuff until I jumped and eventually changed battery.

Tonio McCray

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So update on my situation I had the intake and exhaust actuator solenoid replace along with a new turbo wastegate kit and the car had been running great so far luckily the car was still under warranty so I had to pay nothing out of pocket.

g_816606

Had a diagnostic test done when the engine light showed on my 2012 Regal GS. the test showed P0013 Variable timing Valve - camshaft timing components.

Safe to drive? What does this diagnosis mean. Expensive to fix?

Bill

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Had a diagnostic test done when the engine light showed on my 2012 Regal GS. the test showed P0013 Variable timing Valve - camshaft timing components.

Safe to drive? What does this diagnosis mean. Expensive to fix?

Bill
Cheap part and easy to fix.
Camshaft actuator solenoid. There are 2 of them under the plastic engine cover passenger side.
P0013 is the exhaust cam actuator. The one closer to the firewall on a 2012 GS.

G-127224

has anyone had problems with the turbo bypass valve? i bought my 2012 7 months ago and the light for the turbo bypass valve has came on 8 times now with three different dealerships trying to fix it.

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
There is a vacuum tank and vacuum lines and a solenoid to control it. My guess would be a crack in the vacuum tank or lines. I'm a bit surprised a dealer couldn't find that... but not totally surprised. Usually the first step a dealer mechanic takes is to 'reproduce the problem'... if it happened 8 times in 7 months, chances are it didn't reproduce while they had it, so most mechanics will stop right there.

A cracked tank has been reported on this forum in the past, and a small leak in the tank or any of those lines could cause an intermittent fault like you're getting.

What I would do:

1. check that little vacuum tank for leaks
2. check all the vacuum lines for leaks
3. make sure the bypass valve itself (on the compressor) looks good
3. throw a new solenoid at it